• Myc likes this

#2 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,038 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 March 2018 - 11:45 AM

Trump is really mad at Colbert too.  Fox cant stop complaining about Colbert and the rest of the heathens. 

'They arent funny at all. How can we make them stop?'

[Direct Link]

• Myc and Spooner like this

#3 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 March 2018 - 11:53 AM

[Direct Link]

Check out these foreign impersonators doing Trump on John Oliver! (I queued it up)

• Myc and Spooner like this

#4 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,280 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 March 2018 - 12:24 PM

Sad to say, that the alternative has only a platform of platitudes, beyond saying, "we're not him."

[Direct Link]

Edited by Alder Logs, 03 March 2018 - 12:28 PM.

• riseabovethought likes this

#5 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,928 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 March 2018 - 09:52 PM

I reject Colbert's implied assertion that you or I should not be able to have a weapon of self defense.

Of course he never mentions that mentally challenged individuals, or those on all sorts of prescription drugs for depression, etc. are the culprits every time in these school shootings.

I am a law abiding citizen, but I abide only one law. The One law.

Mr. Colbert, just anyone ought to have the right to, as you say "Willy nilly" go by that weapon.

It is the insane, to which we must defend ourselves.

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 05 March 2018 - 09:53 PM.

• Soliver likes this

#6 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,445 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:29 AM

Colbert's message on gun control is totally consistent...

Attached Thumbnails

• serveimage.jpg

• Myc likes this

#7 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,280 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:35 AM

I guess for as socially liberal and progressive as I feel, I am conservative where the constitutionally guaranteed rights of the citizen are concerned.  

Edited by Alder Logs, 06 March 2018 - 12:36 AM.

• Juthro and SteampunkScientist like this

#8 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,928 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 06:01 PM

We have had guns in this country for the entire time it has been a country. Only the last 40 years or so has the insanity ensued.

What changed?
  • Myc and Soliver like this

#9 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,219 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:42 PM

We have had guns in this country for the entire time it has been a country. Only the last 40 years or so has the insanity ensued.

What changed?

Media coverage of mass shootings.

When I was younger, some asshat shot up a McDonalds.  That's the first 'mass shooting' I recall, and while it was covered in the media, that media was the nightly news and the paper.  Media saturates everything now, so any demented and depressed social outcast ready to end it all can be a superhero to other demented outcasts by taking out a bunch of innocents with him (yes - HIM ... if these guys could get laid, this would never happen - Freud had it right ... there is no extension of the uterus in the world of weaponry that I'm aware of).

Pretty much every mega-shooter shares a fascination with other mega-shooters.  It's the snake eating its own tail, and it's fed by its own insanity and a country drenched in firearms and "news." 

In the meantime, there's an estimated 8 million AR-15's in private hands.  Why no one's shot up a joint with an AK is another question - no telling how many millions of those are floating around - but all it takes is a few to turn the tide of public opinion.

So we have marches and protests ... all the same, your teenager is (literally) 1000% more likely to die in a preventable car accident than by gunfire, but that's different somehow.  Don't get me started on legal pharmaceuticals, but no one's marching on DC to insist that cars are regulated to go no faster than 70MPH, and there are no pharma company CEO's held responsible for the numero uno cause of death in the US (opioids) ...

I can rattle off ten teens who have died locally in the past few years from cars and pills - the ones who died from gunfire were high on pills, so ...

Statistically speaking, more kids die drowning in pools than in school shootings by a huge margin, but no one's trying to regulate my legal right as an American to own a body of water.  I'm not suggesting that school shootings aren't wrong and horrific, but I will argue that they make for better TV, and as long as that's the case, we can expect to see more of them, regardless of any legislation. 

Sadly, Americans don't respect numbers, they respect tragedy and sound / video clips, and drama.  There are no 'mass drownings' or 'mass ODs' or 'mass car wrecks,' but that's where the danger lies much moreso than from firearms.

That said, I don't think an 18yr old kid needs an AR-15 under any circumstance, but that's just me and my assheaded opinion.

:)

soliver

• Myc, LargeMarge and SteampunkScientist like this

#10 illigitimateJester

illigitimateJester

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 352 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:47 PM

Chemtrails, GMO's/preservatives, Flouride, and 5G microwaves, all around and we're worried about some guns.....

on a lighter note, here's a music video from a guy that used to work for Disney....

[Direct Link]

Edited by illigitimateJester, 27 March 2018 - 10:36 PM.

• Soliver likes this

#11 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,928 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 March 2018 - 09:26 PM

Soliver wrote: That said, I don't think an 18yr old kid needs an AR-15 under any circumstance, but that's just me and my assheaded opinion.

If he may not own a gun, he may not go to war, in fact if every right gurenteed to all adults are not granted to that age, then anyone at or under that age may be allowed to go into the active military.

If 18 is to young to drink or own anything, then it's to young to fighting battle.

That is, at least, how it ought to be.

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 27 March 2018 - 09:27 PM.

#12 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 March 2018 - 09:33 PM

Soliver wrote: That said, I don't think an 18yr old kid needs an AR-15 under any circumstance, but that's just me and my assheaded opinion.

If he may not own a gun, he may not go to war, in fact if every right gurenteed to all adults are not granted to that age, then anyone at or under that age may be allowed to go into the active military.

If 18 is to young to drink or own anything, then it's to young to fighting battle.

That is, at least, how it ought to be.

The age that one can fight in a war, vote, rent a car, buy a gun, drive a car, drink, etc should be revisited IMHO. Or some other gauge/right of passage should replace age.

Oh and regarding John Oliver, he is pretty fucking funny. His epic trolling of Mike Pence's homophobic ass with the release of his own "marlon bundo" book is next fucking level, IMHO of course:

[Direct Link]

Edited by CatsAndBats, 27 March 2018 - 09:45 PM.

• Spooner likes this

#13 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 March 2018 - 11:08 PM

Oliver’s Bundo book is No. 1 on Amazon...while the Pence family’s Bundo book trailed, at No. 5.

Oliver's book is already in its second printing.

Edited by Spooner, 27 March 2018 - 11:11 PM.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#14 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 March 2018 - 01:19 AM

If he may not own a gun, he may not go to war

Not remotely true.  Personal ownership of a weapon has nothing to do with military training.

How many soldiers are trained to operate weapons that no citizen is allowed to own.

Glad owning a nuke is not legal, some folks would want to own one.

Pretty much every mega-shooter shares a fascination with other mega-shooters.  

Yes, and pretty much every despot (even wanabees) share a fascination with other more accomplished despots like Kim Jong Un, Vlad Putin, etc...

Nothing new here.

The Adult son of a friend of mine, rents a room in my house.  He is a diagnosed psychotic on daily medication, yet we keep receiving NRA membership offers in his name,  Perhaps he sent in a postcard.  I really don't know why he is on their mailing list.  Not a healthy prospect.

I am myself, a former NRA member, and currently own a 45 Ruger, but ​I accept some limitations on gun ownership.   When purchasing firearms, I filled out the legal and annoying paperwork, then waited for it to clear before taking possession of the weapons.  As a rational adult, delaying ownership gratification for a few days is acceptable.  I am not so frightened that I require unlimited and immediate access.

BTW, bump stocks are a lot of fun, even though not super accurate.  They eat ammo out of a clip wicked fast, and point to the superiority of a true fully automatic with high capacity clip or belt feed.

[Direct Link]

P.S. Las Vegas shooter had bump stocks.

Edited by Spooner, 28 March 2018 - 05:03 AM.

• wordman likes this

#15 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,280 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 March 2018 - 03:06 AM

When will there be media backed marches about how many the cops kill?   Two hundred ninety eight this year, four today.

http://killedbypolice.net/

Edited by Alder Logs, 28 March 2018 - 03:20 AM.

• Soliver and Spooner like this

#16 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 March 2018 - 04:53 AM

The year has barely begun and already 300 Alder?  But of course it is must be OK, really.

Those are highly trained professionals like dear leader wants to put in schools to keep the young'uns safe. 

What could possibly go wrong with that plan?

My marching days are over, now I am just an old crippled woodland hermit.

Yet I'd be honored to buy your new boots if you'd care to march.

Invite everyone to have a communion of Humans just Being.

Edited by Spooner, 28 March 2018 - 05:28 AM.

• LargeMarge and Juthro like this

#17 illigitimateJester

illigitimateJester

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 352 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 09:51 AM

[Direct Link]

Edited by illigitimateJester, 28 March 2018 - 09:55 AM.

#18 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,219 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 March 2018 - 08:05 PM

If the government raised the age of military indoctrination to 21, they wouldn't have as many takers ...

18 is an extremely vulnerable age - high school is behind you, the future is confusing and often bleak. 

Young men with a tendency for wanton destruction can either join the armed forces, or buy an AR and manifest havoc on the population.

I wouldn't want anyone I love to join the military.  A close friend of mine was court-martialed for getting a sunburn in Iraq - crazy - and let's forget about depleted uranium munitions ... all the same, if some demented loner wants to point a gun, I'd rather it be elsewhere, I suppose. 

That's wrong - I get it - but there it is.

Weapons of war are tools of the trade.  I don't drive the concrete truck home and pour my yard in my off-time - that tool belongs to the boss and the company.  Same with rifles, grenade launchers, and grenades (hopefully). 

In the same vein, I'd give an 18 yr. old the keys to said truck from the hours of 8-5, but wouldn't let him drive it around shitfaced on a weekend.

Common sense gun laws (NOT 'control') should prevail. 

:)

soliver

• LargeMarge and Spooner like this

#19 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,280 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:47 PM

I joined the navy five days after my 17th birthday.   I had quit school because I wasn't going to have the credits they told me I needed to graduate.  My mom said I would have to go in the navy if I didn't stay in school.   It seemed like a good idea until my first night in boot camp.  I knew I had just made the biggest mistake of my young life.   The real kicker is, the school graduated anyone in the senior class who had a pulse.   They lied about that credits thing.

#20 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:25 AM

If the government raised the age of military indoctrination to 21, they wouldn't have as many takers ...

18 is an extremely vulnerable age - high school is behind you, the future is confusing and often bleak. 

...Add to that, most 18 year olds are used to being told what to do by authority figures and are accustomed to being led.  It is much more difficult to get an independent adult to do pushups in the mud.

• Soliver likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!