28 replies to this topic

#21 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,430 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 March 2018 - 09:42 AM

If the government raised the age of military indoctrination to 21, they wouldn't have as many takers ...

18 is an extremely vulnerable age - high school is behind you, the future is confusing and often bleak.

...Add to that, most 18 year olds are used to being told what to do by authority figures and are accustomed to being led.  It is much more difficult to get an independent adult to do pushups in the mud.
Push-ups in the mud may be about the only thing it's more difficult to get adults to do. Ime, whether 18 or 58, that deference to authority component of schooling is strong and "independent" is a stretch. One need only read a newspaper or listen to a broadcast to realize how important the word of "authorities" apparently is. Adults just shift from mindlessly going to fight to mindlessly cheering for their kids to fight. You know, 'cause democracy and stuff.
  • Myc and LargeMarge like this

#22 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 12,941 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 March 2018 - 01:06 PM

Yup, most are pretty solidly captured.   I was lucky, I had learning disorders.

• Myc and Spooner like this

#23 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,212 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2018 - 09:53 AM

The real kicker is, the school graduated anyone in the senior class who had a pulse.   They lied about that credits thing.

The fucked up thing is that they're still doing this exact same thing - scaring underperforming kids into military service when the truth is that no one actually flunks out anymore (at least not on my side of the continent - I doubt it's different anywhere else) ... Admin pay is too closely tied to test scores and graduation rates for students to actually fail. 

• Myc and Alder Logs like this

#24 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,941 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2018 - 10:30 AM

When I took my GED after the navy, one year at the fone company, and the one semester of junior college (B+ average), I hit the 99th percentile in science.   So, who was failing; me, or the schools?

But, it hadn't crossed my mind that the lying assed credits narrative could be a purposeful recruitment tool.

• Soliver likes this

#25 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,212 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2018 - 09:24 PM

But, it hadn't crossed my mind that the lying assed credits narrative could be a purposeful recruitment tool.

"Your're a Failure Here But We Can Make You A Winner In the Forces"  is a lot stronger than "God and Country" for a 17yr old. 

I have a lot of mixed emotions about the armed forces.  I'm glad someone does it, I just wish the people in charge used more sense and toned the whole thing down a bit.

That may be a naive perspective - I don't know all the angles - I don't think I want to ... hence the mixed emotions.

Ignorance is bliss - If I could be a few cranial hammer-blows more ignorant, I'd probably be closer to blissful.  Or something.

:)

soliver

• Sidestreet, Alder Logs and Spooner like this

#26 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,941 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2018 - 11:36 PM

I'm glad someone does it...

The problem has been why they actually are doing it for, and for whom.    Major General Smedley Darlington Butler, USMC, tried to spread the word. 

#27 wordman

wordman

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:26 PM

We have had guns in this country for the entire time it has been a country. Only the last 40 years or so has the insanity ensued.

What changed?

What changed?

We got television and started sucking on the "Glass Teat". Everything changed.

• Soliver likes this

#28 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,212 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 May 2018 - 04:05 PM

The royal wedding got more Saturday coverage than Friday's Texas Mass Shooting Again.

I'm not sure if that's an improvement, but I guess it is.  That fuckstick didn't shoot those he like so they could "tell his story," as if any story merited eight dead students, two dead teachers, and ten wounded.

I think, as a nation, we're looking the wrong way at gun control - if we start holding parents responsible (gasp) then more guns would be less accessible.

Just a thought.  Cat's out of the bag on guns - we have more guns than we do Americans - maybe it's time to lock 'em up (the guns, not the Americans, per se).

:)

soliver

• Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#29 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,445 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 May 2018 - 04:34 PM

Holding parents accountable, what a concept...................

As compared with the all too frequent these days, let the school deal with them, give them un restricted access to any cyber addiction they want, or rather than ever really talk with them, dose them with ritalin or adderall because they have "attention disorders"..............

It makes me appreciate how lucky I was with all the what we thought were problems back then, (comparatively minor) to have parents that talked to me and listened to the answers as well as the questions.

• Juthro likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!