17 replies to this topic

#1 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• App Administrator
  • 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:06 AM

Anyone have any comfrey root they can share?

I want to use this in my garden this year

#2 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,448 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:33 AM

I have shit tons of it.   I will meet you on the corner.

• PsyBearknot likes this

#3 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• App Administrator
  • 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 04:51 PM

SWEET!

Probably take me a while to walk up to that corner but I’d sure appreciate some!

#4 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,448 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 04:53 PM

I will have it freshly dug and washed for when the time looks right.   Just remember that I can't remember much, so remind me then.

#5 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• App Administrator
  • 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 07:49 PM

Pothead to the old guy
Remember what?

Perfect ! Thanks AL!

#6 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,528 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:02 AM

I have some but I'm afraid our corners arent all that close.

• PsyBearknot likes this

#7 outoforder

outoforder

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 134 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 02:22 PM

Well me too... but i guess its forbidden to ship to you. Normally you can easily find compfrey next to fields, streets on the countryside or meadows, also in floodplain forests... and so on. If you plant some rootpieces they will grow for sure... The best time to harvest them is in autumn when they accumulated all their powers after their growth cycle in the roots after the leaves dried out. Every year I´m making Beinwell-Propulis-Salbe - its really great for wounds, burnings, muscle and boneproblems or simply dry lips... Although I can find compfrey everywere here I´m cultivating it in my garden... a really nice plant. Wish you the best with your project! outoforder
  • PsyBearknot likes this

#8 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,736 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 April 2018 - 05:36 PM

If Alder forgets, you can order live plants as well and I do not know of any restrictions.

https://www.thegrowe...p/her-com01.htm

#9 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,448 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 April 2018 - 05:52 PM

I had, of course, forgotten completely until it came up today.  If I had had the chance to run into the bear, I would have had to slap my forehead and say, "Doh!"   I can get those roots and send them any time.  Just say the word. 

My memory is just a memory.

• Skywatcher likes this

#10 GLP

GLP

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 163 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 August 2019 - 12:47 PM

If they are unable to ship some, let me know Bear, I have several plants in the back yard I chop and drop for fertilizer. I also dry the leaves for salves and tinctures, the flowers are nice added to a salad and the bee's love them also.

GLP

#11 GLP

GLP

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 163 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 August 2019 - 06:35 PM

Just finished loading one dehydrator full of Comfrey for salves and tinctures. The second dehydrator is full of raspberry leaves for tea and tinctures, I need another one or just break down and by a commercial one.  Hmmmmmm, is there one on Ebay for sale?

GLP

• Juthro likes this

#12 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,481 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 August 2019 - 07:06 PM

You could make yourself a big one for fairly cheap out of an old fridge (easy surfaces to keep clean, and already has shelves), or even a simple DIY plywood cabinet.   PID controllers are cheap ($20), and allows accurate control of temps.

You could also go old school and use an incandescent lamp in the bottom of a cabinet, and use the convection from the heat of the lamp to move the air for circulation.   They work well, but are a little slower then units with a fan.

#13 GLP

GLP

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 163 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2019 - 12:19 PM

Juthro, I was looking at doing that as I can build a very nice upright box with plywood that I have. The real cost appears to be the wire racks. When all is said and done, the Cabela 160 liter model starts to look very cheap. Plus it has very cool LED's, LOL.

https://www.cabelas....04.uts?slotId=3

GLP

Edited by GLP, 12 August 2019 - 12:19 PM.

#14 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,481 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2019 - 12:55 PM

I hear you, sometimes a store bought option is really the easier and cheaper way to go in the long run. 

That Cabela is a very nice looking unit, BTW 

We run a 9 tray Excalibur here, it is not  nearly as heavy duty as what your looking at, but it's a lot nicer than the old Ronco donut tray style unit it replaced, lol.

#15 GLP

GLP

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 163 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:13 PM

I teach a dehydrating class for the Master Gardeners, so I have a 9 tray Excalibur, a 4 tray Excalibur, a round Presto, a rectangular Hamilton Beach and a Ronco (no fan) unit. Everything is full except the Ronco. A 24 tray unit would be nice, then add a second 24 tray unit the next year. That would give me enough capacity for drying teas, tincture materials, and mushrooms for sale. The two Cabela units would still be cheaper than the single Excalibur 16 tray Comm 1 or the 10 tray Excalibur EXC10EL model. I have watched auctions for some time, but very seldom do you see a business have one go up for auction.

GLP

• Juthro likes this

#16 GLP

GLP

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 163 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 August 2019 - 01:37 PM

Whooohooo, just snagged a Cabela 160 liter model dehydrator on Facebook for $195, retail is $449 new. Original owner bought it to make jerky and he never got around to it, the Wife suggested he sell it. 23 hours later it is now in my hands.  Whooooohoooo!

GLP

• Juthro likes this

#17 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,481 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 August 2019 - 02:14 PM

Nice score G!  Thats a lot of dehydrator for the money, I'm happy for you brother.

I hope its everything you want it to be and more :)

#18 GLP

GLP

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 163 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:40 AM

Thanks Juthro, another $30 for PTFE sheets (24 times) and I am good to go. Back out to the garden to collect more green mass for tinctures and teas. I had no idea that many of the plants leaves contain the same medicinal properties as the flowers and fruits, that is a big bonus from the foraging/wild crafting perspective. Love learning new skills, especially ones that will help the people around you.

GLP

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!