• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 02:16 PM

Living in Southern California our winter is a bit kooky, things are often warm and sunny all year.

How does this effect cacti dormancy and growing cycles? Specifically for Trich and Loph...

Thanks!

#2 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,645 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 04:30 PM

You get a much extended growing season. I only feed low nitrogen cactus ferts a maximum of 3 times in a year. May/June, July/August, and maybe in September if its beastly hot. I will force a rest period from late November through February/March by keeping dryish and out of any rain, and protected from any freak freeze nights, if we get any.

I found if I keep the lophs in a small greenhouse in winter they still grow in winter, but much slower. I feel it is beneficial to let them rest in the "cool" season, because as soon as it warms up well and night temps are 60F or above, they really burst into new growth, When I have not rested them, they don't grow as vigorously in spring.

I do not ever restrict the light other than the mid day partial shade for trichs, and broken sun after 10-11 AM for the lophs

• Spooner and adrian118 like this

#3 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 11:12 PM

Thank you Skywatcher as always.

There is a lot of info out there but as a noob its hard to sift through it all and find the appropriate tek for a climate like ours.

Edited by adrian118, 07 March 2018 - 11:12 PM.

• Skywatcher likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!