18 replies to this topic

#1 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,736 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:14 AM

My partner who is diabetic recently had all the upper teeth extracted for dentures. Unfortunately 48 hours later his left face froze, no movement or smile. I immediately thought stroke, and rushed him to urgent care. It was not stroke, but a condition called Bells Palsy, which is caused by severe inflammation to the main nerve to the one side or the other of the face. This was likely caused by the extraction in the same area where the nerve enters. The treatment for this is high doses of antivirals and prednisone. If any of you are diabetic, you may know the steroids cause complete havok in the blood sugar, both elevating to 2-300+, and causing a crash overnight to as low as 55.

The highs are not as dangerous as the lows, but very uncomfortable. The lows scare the shit out of me. If anyone knows foods or tricks to keep the levels from crashing so far overnight, I would very much appreciate hearing what anyone may know. I can keep the highs down with very low carb and high protien during the day, I can't quite figure out what to do for the overnight other than when it crashes he feels like shit and gets very shaky and lightheaded. This is dangerous if he does not wake up.

Fortunatly we only have 4 more days to go with the prednisone, and then the huge shifts will go back to a more normal level. Hopefully the face paralysis also starts to go away.

Thanks for any advice. He does not use insulin. only metformin and glimiperide.

Edited by Skywatcher, 09 March 2018 - 10:16 AM.

• Taraa and GalenOl like this

#2 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,448 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:29 AM

I knew a woman who really had a bad time with prednisone.  

I don't know how or when to use it, but for diabetes, Edgar Cayce, in the trance readings, used to recommend Jerusalem artichoke.  I remember that he said to eat it cooked one time and raw the next.   Raw would not work well of fresh extractions.   I would think that acupuncture might be effective for Bell's.

• Skywatcher likes this

#3 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:44 AM

There's evidence that cordyceps militaris and cordycep sinensis help individuals balance their sugar levels. I don't know much about glycemic indexes but I can certainly help you grow them.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC2887337/

https://www.drweil.c...erbs/cordyceps/

I just spoke with a family member that has type 2 and that person said that one should eat a granola bar or similar around bed time.

Hope this helps a touch.

• Skywatcher likes this

#4 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,722 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:50 AM

Cinnamon. Look into cinnamon my friend. It is a good blood-sugar regulator. 

I'm not diabetic - but hypoglycemic.....to the extreme. I'm very sensitive to keeping my blood sugar "in the pocket" - too high, I can usually handle - too low, sucks ass.

• Skywatcher likes this

#5 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,480 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2018 - 12:11 PM

All I have to offer on this one are the good vibes I'm already sending.
I unfortunately don't know much about regulating blood sugar. At least the prednisone (a nasty, multiple bad side effect causing steroid IMHO) treatment is relatively short in length, so it at least will be over fairly quickly.

Good wishes, and good vibes to you both.
  • Skywatcher likes this

#6 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,870 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2018 - 12:17 PM

I trust the MD's for only a few things. As far as I can tell from trusted relatives in the medical fields  the blood sugar things are well known territory and treatment plans are most often effective.

In this case I'd trust and go to them for advice on this one. Infections and paralysis are not to be messed with.

• Myc, coorsmikey and Skywatcher like this

#7 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,736 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:08 PM

I know cinnamon, but that is effective to lower. I use a cinnamon combo myself to keep from having my A1C stableized.

He has no teeth until the mouth heals and he can handle the dentures on the sore extraction areas, so a granola bar is not going to happen, but I do like the idea of trying to find something similar that might slower release or turn to sugar at a reasonable rate to get through the night. 

We have been talking to his diabetes nurse. They offer diet info to not bring it too high, but the overnight crash is what is my biggest concern. The fasting level in the morning should be 80 to under 100 for him, and it has crashed to 65 and even 55 for the last three days. I'm thinking because he usually wakes up a few times to use the bathroom, that keeping some milk maybe or some kind of low sugar and low carb snack he can eat quickly while he is up might boost the levels just a bit, and keep the crash from going so low.

Thank you guys for the help. Doctors are taking too long for feedback and I feel not looking at everything. Its definitely a case where i think we can do better with our own research.......

Edited by Skywatcher, 09 March 2018 - 03:56 PM.

#8 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,480 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2018 - 02:01 PM

I get where granola wont work at this time due to its hard crunchy texture.
But possibly some quick oats with a little extra water added so that it is more of a gruel than a porridge. That way he can just drink it. You could even run the oats through a blender first, I think that's how they make those pre-packaged servings of instant oatmeal, that you just add hot water too.

A little cinnamon, and a couple of drops of honey makes it very palatable. And quick oats are just that, quick. 60sec in hot water and they are done.

Edited by Juthro, 09 March 2018 - 02:05 PM.

• Myc and Skywatcher like this

#9 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2018 - 02:29 PM

Prednisone is a drug that suppresses the bodies own natural production of steroids.  I​t is therefor necessary to slowly wean yourself off prednisone rather than stop cold, in order to allow the body to return to making up the necessary natural production on it's own.  Be careful friend, and good luck.

• Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#10 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,736 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:01 PM

Thanks Spooner. The weening off is one of those little details that nobody including the doctors remembered to mention..........

Not surprised, but now I will need to activly question someone about that before he runs out.

#11 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,480 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:15 PM

Thanks Spooner. The weening off is one of those little details that nobody including the doctors remembered to mention..........
Not surprised, but now I will need to activly question someone about that before he runs out.

I've have had prednisone prescribed to several times in the past for severe allergic reactions to poison oak (like when your arm swells to the point your skin gets stretch marks and starts to split).

They always gave it to me with instructions that had me take a massive amount at first, and a little less each day until I was taking only one pill for the last day.
  • Skywatcher likes this

#12 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,736 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2018 - 05:16 PM

The prescription has him taking 3 pills, every day for 10 days. No increase, no decrease, just an end when it runs out. 

#13 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,480 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2018 - 05:33 PM

For me it was like an 8 or 10 day scrip. Starting with the 8 or 10 pills on the first day, and decreasing by one on each subsequent day until they were gone.

I also remember that prednisone works by limiting your body's natural immune response ability, and that you should be careful, and be observant for infection while, and shortly after taking it. It's worth paying close attention after his surgery, as oral infections are not that uncommon after major dental work, and it could impede the body's response to deal with it.
  • Skywatcher likes this

#14 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,448 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2018 - 06:41 PM

Just do this search:   "Jerusalem artichoke" diabetes

• Skywatcher likes this

#15 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,152 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 March 2018 - 06:46 AM

Keep a glass of juice by the bed, and a jar of honey with crackers. That way he doesn't have to get out of bed, and should be able to go right back to sleep without too much disturbance.

• Skywatcher likes this

#16 whirledpeas

whirledpeas

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 486 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 March 2018 - 05:00 PM

Hope all the above helped :)

If there is still a struggle with it we would give people peanut butter and honey and bread. That seems to level it out for awhile. Small meals very frequently of course. 

Medication and trauma (including surgery--stress on the body) messes with diabetics blood sugar level for awhile.  Take care!

#17 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,041 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 December 2018 - 03:04 PM

What if we're wrong about diabetes?

[Direct Link]

#18 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer