#1 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,598 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:33 AM

I've been wanting to try this recipe for a few months now.  I'm really interested in honey teks because of how low-key they are.  That and they taste better than a mouthful of dry mushrooms.  I basically did Golly's tek to the T with one small exception--I didn't reduce the mushy tea as far down as Golly did, hoping to end up with a final product that flows more like honey.  In his writeup, Golly ends up with something that resembles apple butter.

So this is the thread I worked from: Honey Extract Tek for Cubensis

Here are the ingredients.  I also added cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger to the honey a la TVCasualty's honey tek.

IMG 2042

With this tek, you don't want to grind the mushrooms to a powder.  This makes it easier to strain the water out.  I crushed 40 grams of cracker dry Cubensis first by hand and then for just a second or two in the coffee grinder:

IMG 2045

The fungus is in the sauce pot in the back, simmering for 25 minutes in a quart of filtered water with about a tablespoon of ascorbic acid (vitamin C powder, available in the vitamin aisle or health-food store).  In the front the honey is getting warmed up.  I put a washcloth in the pot so that the glass measuring cup isn't touching the pot.  I was using low heat to warm the honey but I figured it couldn't hurt.

IMG 2046

After it was done simmering I strained the mushy material through a square cut from an old dress shirt (makes for a better filter than a cotton t-shirt) and squeezed it well to get as much liquid as possible out.  Then I ran a half cup of cold water through it and squeezed it some more.

IMG 2049

Here's a blurry pic of the tea being reduced.  It took about a half hour at medium-high heat, stirring constantly the entire time.  Like I said, I reduced it just to the point where it was starting to thicken.  By leaving it thinner, I'm hoping that the final product will flow like honey at room temp.  We'll see if it worked.

IMG 2050

Here's the final product, still hot:

IMG 2053

I'm donating this batch to the Salvation Army.

Edited by Sidestreet, 11 March 2018 - 09:41 AM.

• coorsmikey, Mrs.Hippie3, Skywatcher and 6 others like this

#2 tuftygrasses

tuftygrasses

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 345 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 01:01 PM

Saving this

#3 Spark

Spark

OG

• Free Member
  • 855 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 01:50 PM

Good luck.

#4 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

• App Administrator
  • 8,598 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2018 - 03:09 PM

It turned out thin enough to keep in the fridge and still squeeze out of a honey bear into a spoon or a cup of tea.  Sweet!  :biggrin:

• Skywatcher, Ramble, bezevo and 2 others like this

#5 cosmicsistar

cosmicsistar

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 12:19 PM

I have been dying to make this as well, honey bear bottle so cute, thanks for posting pics xoxo

• Sidestreet likes this

#6 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

• App Administrator
  • 8,598 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:41 AM

This worked out really well.  Less than a teaspoon makes for a nice buzzzzzzzzzzzzz.  The cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger really do a lot for the flavor.  It's actually delicious!

I made a second batch, but I didn't use ascorbic acid this time.  Instead I soaked the ground up mushies in lemon juice for twenty minutes.  I used just enough lemon juice to wet the mushrooms a little.  I didn't want to use too much because I didn't want the honey to be sour.  I'm hoping to get some lemon tek effects by doing this.

I haven't tried more than a little dab but it sure tastes good!

#7 MeadMaker

MeadMaker

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 June 2018 - 07:52 AM

I'm donating this batch to the Salvation Army.

Hah!  :ph34r:

#8 Turdly81

Turdly81

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 346 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 11:41 AM

How long did this stay good for? I would love to do this as soon as I can

#9 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,509 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2019 - 08:49 PM

I'm curious if the lemon soak batch turned out any different.
  • Advocate4TheMT likes this

#10 Advocate4TheMT

Advocate4TheMT

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 353 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2019 - 12:23 PM

I'm curious if the lemon soak batch turned out any different.

My girl uses lemon.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!