• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#41 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:41 PM

That shelf mushroom appears to be Tooth mushroom of some sort.
Are those spines on the underneath of the mushroom? If yes, that's prolly what it is. Maybe a Black Tooth.

After looking at it, it looks like it's a Gilled Polypore. Those are gills right? A Black Tooth would have similar colored spines underneath.

#42 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 07:42 AM

archive material (edibles, outdoor)

#43 Jack

Jack

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 01:19 AM

...so... photo #8 is a Gilled Polypore. I thought it was a Turkey Tail 'coz realy turkey's tail here in our place looks like it. he-he-he!

Here's my next photo. Just got it beside our chapel. Now these must be the Turkey Tails.
http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1156918681

Attached Thumbnails

• mush4 039.jpg
  • mush4 041.jpg

#44 Jack

Jack

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 02:56 AM

...this kinda off the topic i made above, but i think its safe to post it here. Afterall, this is one of the shrooms in my backyard...

I am culturing Oysters. I am using Sawdust mixed with rice bran, urea, sugar, shell lime and water of course as my composted substrate. Got them steam sterilized on an oil drum for atleast 5 hours. I spawned them with the grain spawn i made earlier.

Results were great. After 5 days, mycelial activity is visible and are healthy. See pictures below.
http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1156923844

A week after that, the mycelial activity seemed to have stopped. I was expecting the bagged substrate to be white with mycelia in 20 to 30 days. But the mycelia from the grains spawn just died. No mites nor other infestation or contamination were present.

I think i know what had happened. Maybe the grain spawn was not mature enough. Am i right? Im gonna do it althrough out again...

But i had somethin else in mind. I have 3 flat bottles of this Oyster in PDA culture(Potato-Dextrose-Agar) . So that i wont be doing the whole process from the beginning again, I was thinking of making a liquid spawn by pouring sterilized water into the PDA culture and inject the "liquid spawn" using a sterile syringe into the bagged substrate i had inoculated with grain spawn earlier. And seal the injected portions with hot glue stick. Would this be right?

Please advice....

Attached Thumbnails

• mmqq 039.jpg
  • mmqq 038.jpg
  • mmqq 036.jpg

#45 Cryingblackoil

Cryingblackoil

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 389 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 07:08 AM

Don't archive it yet, its a good thread :)

#46 srgtm1a

srgtm1a

yeah, yeah, you know.

• Expired Member
  • 760 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:46 AM

nice oyster setup.

As far as your turkey tails go....I think what you have there is Stereum Ostrea "False Turkey Tail". The color of the false turkey tail can vary quite a bit, but that is what it looks like you have.

Here are some turkey tails I found last season...these are true turkey tail.

Picture 040.jpg

Even the color of real turkey tail can vary a bit, but i'm pretty sure yours are false turkey tail.

EDIT: hmmmm....looking at the picture closer, the bottom big one does resemble a variation of a true turkey tail, but the top ones resemble the false turkey tail more.....Kind of a tough call since the color variations of both are so widely spread out. Lucky for me, the ones I always find are the brown/white ring variation....much easier to determine

#47 SharkieJones

SharkieJones

• OG VIP
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 03:43 PM

Jack these are great pictures. I can't wait to see what's next.

#48 Jack

Jack

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 07:37 PM

...As far as your turkey tails go....I think what you have there is Stereum Ostrea "False Turkey Tail"...

Ooooppppsss! I really thought i got myself some Turkey Tails! ...really am i newbie....
But it sure is nice to be educated. Thanks guys.

Now here's one of the most common mushrooms here in my place. The 11th photo i posted.

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1156983948
In our local dialect, we call this one "Dungan-dunggan". The word "Dunggan" is the Cebuano term for ears. So Dunggan-dungan therefore is "Ears-Ears" or "looks like ears". Its Filipino term is "Taingang Daga", which means "Rat's Ears".
This one is growing on a dead trunk of a Gemelina Tree.

This is an Auricularia, sometimes named as the Jews Ears, right?

When i was in elementary, after class, i would go into the woods to collect these. ...had them dried and sell them in the market myself. The 'wild' proceeds will be my allowance in school for a week.
...hhmmm... those were the days....

Just wandering, on which side could i get the sporeprint of this one?

Attached Thumbnails

• mush5 010.jpg
  • mush5 012.jpg
  • mush5 008.jpg
  • mush5 009.jpg

#49 srgtm1a

srgtm1a

yeah, yeah, you know.

• Expired Member
  • 760 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 07:57 PM

Wow, very cool....I've never seen that mushroom before. Sorta looks like some of the cup fungus we have here. I'm not exactly sure how you would go about printing that.

How do they taste?

#50 Jack

Jack

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 08:38 PM

How do they taste?

Taste good. i just cant describe it correct, but it tastes good.

We usually have this as an additional ingredient to most noodle dishes and vegetable stir-fries. It also gives a different color and texture to what you are eating.

I've read an article about this. It says its been cultivated in Hawaii. They call this Wood Ear Mushroom as "Pepeiao" Would it be ok if i post that article here? ..copyright issues? I just downloaded it from there site.

...please tell me if uploading files like this is not ok so that i could delete it right away....

Attached Files

#51 srgtm1a

srgtm1a

yeah, yeah, you know.

• Expired Member
  • 760 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:44 PM

I don't see a problem with that file. They have it available on their website for downloading for free....so unless you changed anything, or tried to take credit for it, you haven't broken any law.

I looked up some info on those mushrooms, and a lot of what I read said that if you have eaten asian style food, you have most likely tried it. Maybe I'll pay more attention next time I go out to eat.

#52 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:46 PM

Excellent thread you've got going on Jack! You're in shroom Heaven aren't you?

Have the Oyster's completely stopped colonizing the bulk material?

#53 Jack

Jack

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 113 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 01:00 AM

....so unless you changed anything, or tried to take credit for it, you haven't broken any law...

...well, that would give me a peace of mind... thanks.

...a shroom heaven...

...i've never thought of that... but sure feels lucky about it... he-he-he!

Not actually. People here just dont see mushroom as valuable as topians do.

Now, about my bulk substrate for my Oyster. YES! and im sad about it. Mycelial activity completely stopped. The white mycelia turned brown. Its dead!

I really believe that this is cause by the immature grain spawn. The grain spawn were oly 20 days old. Too young i think.

As i posted ealier, could it be possible that i may inject Liquid Spawn directly to the used substate without sterilizing it back again?

#54 Jack

Jack

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 113 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 01:16 AM

I wanna post this one so that it could be identified right away.

I also got this near that Wood Ear mushroom i posted in the first page; growing on the other dead trunk of a Gemelina Tree. And by the way, i fount these along the pathway inside the company's perimeter a few meters away from the guardhouse.

I think this is also an oyster strain. Its quite smaller than the Angel's Wings Oyster. And it does not spread its winglike caps like it either.

I hope you could also name this one.

http://mycotopia.net...39&d=1157004631

I am currently taking sporeprints of this oyster strain. I hope somebody could ID these specifically.

Attached Thumbnails

• mush5 002.jpg
  • mush5 005.jpg

#55 Jack

Jack

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 113 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 06:34 PM

Any ID on my 11th photo yet?
Its an oyster strain for sure... it smells freshly delicious too...

Here's a picture of its gills and its sporeprint on a red cartolina.
http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1157067955

Attached Thumbnails

• mush6 003.jpg

#56 Jack

Jack

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 113 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 07:14 PM

Even if i dont have an ID of the 11th specimen yet, here's the next one:

This one was growing on a scrap piece of a particle board. I was about to toss this wood in the fire when i saw this mushroom. Its cap was actually close when i first saw it(forget to take picx). I waited till 9pm to see its cap open.

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1157068868
In the far left side of the board, you'll see its button stage. (see 3rd picx to for a closer look of the button)

On this picture, the specimen made a very dark brown print.
http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1157068868

I wanted to take 2 prints out of this single cap i had so i tried on just beside the 1st print i made. I accidentally left the cap overnight. This morning, the whole cap turned to ink.

So, this must be of the Coprinus sp. One of those inky cap mushrooms.

Anybody care to specifically ID this one?

Attached Thumbnails

• mush6 042.jpg
  • mush6 025.jpg
  • mush6 021.jpg
  • mush6 024.jpg
  • mush6 017.jpg

#57 Jack

Jack

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 05:14 AM

Anybody got an ID on Shrooms #1, #12 & #13(wrongly #12 also) that i've posted?

#58 srgtm1a

srgtm1a

yeah, yeah, you know.

• Expired Member
  • 760 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 10:38 AM

PICTURE 12
Picture 12, is kind of hard to determin exactly what kind of oyster they are....since they all have the same color spore print white to greyish (looks lavander color when wet). They are usually considered "wild white oysters" just Pleurotus Ostreatus. There are some wild oysters that are distinctly different like the Veiled oyster that has a much thicker stalk...and of course a veil. What you have there are oysters though, 100%.

PICTURE 13

As far as your last picture goes...I am really not sure. There are a TON of little brown mushrooms that have the rusty brown spore prints through many genus. I haven't come across one that resembles that, so I can't even point in in any direction.

#59 Jack

Jack

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 12:24 AM

#12 is an Oyster! If its Oyster, its edible! Thanks Srgt M1A.

#1 & #13 remains unidentified to date.

Here's another one. Im thinking this is a patch of Chanterelles (the Trumpet Mushroom). But it seems to resemble an oyster. I hope you guys could ID this. I got white sporeprints from these already. I also had these stored in our chiller. If these are ID'ed to be edible, then, to dinner these shall go.

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1157346937

Still this ones are growing on a dead Orange Bell Tree. The orange bell flowers, the thinly pointed leaves, and that green apple-like fruit that you can see on the ground are of the tree i've been mentioning here.

Attached Thumbnails

• mush7 054.jpg
  • mush7 046.jpg
  • mush7 050.jpg

#60 Jack

Jack

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 12:28 AM

...and while waiting for the ID of those above, here's my 15th wild shroom in the backyard.
http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1157348519

Still looks like an Oyster.

I just hope i could get its rightful ID.

Attached Thumbnails

• mush7 065.jpg
  • mush7 064.jpg
  • mush7 069.jpg
  • mush7 049.jpg
  • mush7 067.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!