12 replies to this topic

#1 stoogie

stoogie

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 04:37 AM

Hi Guys

Finally got the LW grow box going. I had two t5s but was getting a bit hot as not much room for airspace. Have dropped down to one t5 and one t5 LED. It’s now running at about 25c... any tips from experience?
  • adrian118 likes this

#2 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 06:48 PM

Hey Stoogie,

How big is this box of yours? 

I have a 10x20 humidity dome with 1 T5. Have had a batch of t.bridgesii germinating for about 3 weeks. Been going well so far. And I just planted some loph seeds last night. Heres some pics...

IMG_3244.jpg

IMG_3253.JPG

#3 stoogie

stoogie

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 01:06 PM

Looks good, will be interested to hear how you get on. I’ve got two t5s and a t5 style led light although just using the one t5 and the Led at the moment as pretty bright in there! It’s about 85cm long and 35cm tall and 40cm wide.

I’m doing several thousand seeds as an experiment.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1AA67710-FE31-4822-85DB-73314AA75384.jpeg
  • 54493FBE-3D50-40AB-89EC-CAEE42DC4E06.jpeg
  • D5EBBB3E-A4D9-4FF0-9190-302A1AAACEF0.jpeg

• Spooner, DualWieldRake and adrian118 like this

#4 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 01:27 PM

Very cool Stoogie! Good luck with all those.

What kind of seed you have going in there?

Edited by adrian118, 21 March 2018 - 01:30 PM.

#5 stoogie

stoogie

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 139 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 12:23 PM

Thank you. A variety of lophophora williamsii. I have just started another 1000 I n a glass Petri dish and will later transfer those that germinate to a seed tray. I’d like to start some pedro’s too so I can do some grafting
  • DualWieldRake and adrian118 like this

#6 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 10:41 PM

Hey Stoogie, hows it growing?  :cool:

Got some sprouts over the weekend.

A bit concerned that they are too close to the light because of the color but I was away for a few days and to around to mist them.

They are doing fine now I think.

Check the pics...

IMG_3466.JPG IMG_3467.JPG

• Spooner likes this

#7 stoogie

stoogie

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 139 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 02:12 PM

See what the others say but a slightly reddish colour is fine and they look healthy. Also depends on the variety of LP. I’d have thought with just the one light at that height you’d be fine.
  • Spooner and adrian118 like this

#8 stoogie

stoogie

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 139 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 12:58 PM

I’ve started about 10 7x7cm pots with about 70seeds in each with a soil mix and top layer of gravel and grit with the seeds sown on top sealed in bags. The humidity looks good, heat is 30c by day and 17c by night. I have two t5 flurescent lights and a t5 led strip all are 6500k. Only one of the pots has germinated about 30 seeds, there are perhaps 5 seeds out of the other pots. Lights are 15cm from pots and there is a box with reflective foil around it.

Do you have any ideas why the seeds haven’t germinated? Have I fried them? I wonder whether they needed less heat or light initially? Any ideas or thoughts much appreciated. Have more seeds on order so will try again soon!

I also started a bunch of seeds in the propagator in a Petri dish which we’re doing much better so a bit of a puzzle.

#9 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 01:27 PM

How long ago did you sow them?

Maybe the seeds were old?

I'm a n00b so these are just guessing here. 

• Spooner likes this

#10 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2018 - 01:53 PM

I have seen seeds sprout after many weeks, which is why I like to start them in a high humidity environment for the first few months.

• stoogie likes this

#11 stoogie

stoogie

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:18 PM

Hey they have been in about 8 weeks now with very little germination. I’m going to try another batch now and am letting them sit in the pots for a few days first to soak and have gentle light and heat and will then put a few in the light box but raise the lights up and cover the pots with opaque plastic bag. Will keep you posted! How have your germination rates been Adrian?

#12 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:19 PM

Hey Stoogie,

Sorry to hear this about your germination. Very curious to know why this happened since everything you stated seems like a proper tek imo. Are you able to find a different seed source?

Ive had some success, not a ton. not sure exactly what constitutes great germination rates anyway. As of about 3 weeks now I have something like 40-50% germination. A few large ones that sprouted early on and every now and then a random lil bud will pop up out of nowhere. I did make a mistake with this batch... I covered them with a light dusting of soil/sand. I have to come to understand this not a good idea. And I think I've proven that to myself.

• stoogie likes this

#13 stoogie

stoogie

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 12:02 AM

Hi Adrian, I think it may partly have been the seeds but also that they got roasted in the light box. As the lights are quite close to the pots I think this forced the humidity down so for a period the seeds dried with little moisture. I think it takes a few days for the bags to reach steady state with moisture leaving the pot and occupying the air in the baggie. A heat mat forces moisture up so think they I’ll give them a couple of days in natural light and on a heat mat then transfer to the light box and raise the lights up a little further. I think much of the advice and tips you read relate to individual settings of temp light and substrate and is a case of experience to find how the three work together if differing ratios. I also have tried germinating seeds I’ve collected from my own plants which had almost 100% success rate. I think khores are great but will naturally have a lower germination rate due to weakening genetics and they produce soluch large numbers of seeds. Keep experimenting and having fun, remember failure is part of success
  • adrian118 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!