Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo

Killing Babies for Joy? (harvesting pins for potent and plentiful antidepressant?)

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 MicroMycoMan

MicroMycoMan

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 124 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:51 AM

When speaking in terms of aborts, I see nearly unanimous agreement that they contain more actives by weight than fully matured fruits, so wouldn't the same thing be true if they do not naturally abort?

Why do we grow mushrooms as big as we can just to turn around and make the resulting mass as small as possible again? Seems to me that we could yield more medicine per pound of substrate if we harvested immature fruits..

You can easily add moisture to colonized mycelium, but adding the nutrients required to produce fruit is not so simple... Given that there is a finite amount of useful matter in the substrate, why allow the mycelium to waste any of it in the production of unwanted spores when what we are actually after is produced at the highest concentration well before that?

If the mushrooms are being produced for sale, it makes sense for them to be big and impressive and majestic and all that, but for our purposes it seems unnecessary and wasteful.

Thoughts?
  • Lakegal7 likes this

#2 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,397 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:09 AM

Personally speaking, the amount of work involved far outweighs the benefits. Not to mention, drying pins is a pain in the butt. So you have to eat a bit more..No big deal. We are not talking about an astronomical amount like consuming pounds, ect. The odds of the substrate contaminating on you by the time you can harvest the same amount that you would normally get from average flushes puts picking pins in the negative. The only way to understand this is to just do it and see for yourself. I am not trying to discourage you at all. To me, it is just not time, energy, or supply efficient.

• Drucifer00 and tcg like this

#3 MicroMycoMan

MicroMycoMan

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 124 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:13 AM

So you have to eat a bit more..No big deal. We are not talking about an astronomical amount like consuming pounds, ect.

My argument isn't exactly that the qty consumed is a problem, only that the focus seems to be centered upon qty of mass when what we want is actually concentration of chemical.

The odds of the substrate contaminating on you by the time you can harvest the same amount that you would normally get from average flushes puts picking pins in the negative. 

Agreed! All things being equal, you are absolutely right. That's the thing though, all of the Tek out there is designed specifically for growing mature fruits, thus producing pins using those methods would beyond any doubt be less efficient.

If the ONLY objective is to produce pins, how much could you simplify or speed up the process of getting to that point? I don't know, but I intend to find out!

#4 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,397 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 March 2018 - 09:44 AM

To start, you would have to work with a x4-5 clone That will optimize your pin set and get you to your goal much faster. Granted, it will take time to get to that clone, but that is going to be your golden ticket.

• MicroMycoMan likes this

#5 MicroMycoMan

MicroMycoMan

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 124 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 March 2018 - 06:30 PM

To start, you would have to work with a x4-5 clone That will optimize your pin set and get you to your goal much faster. Granted, it will take time to get to that clone, but that is going to be your golden ticket.

Great advice! Thank you!

#6 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

This motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,208 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 March 2018 - 07:30 PM

If one wants higher concentration of alkaloids, one should grow any other psilocybe species.

• coorsmikey, myancyan, MicroMycoMan and 1 other like this

#7 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 8,022 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 March 2018 - 07:54 PM

Without a way to actually test the content of alkaloids, the common consensus of pins being more potent that mature mushrooms is speculative. I personally think that intentionally harvesting immature fruit is a waisted effort. Aborts is different as you are salvaging something that has already happened and preventing wastefulness. If they are not going to grow then might as well get what you can from them right? Often they end up in our personal stash because we share the large and pretty mushrooms with our friends.
If they truly contain more alkaloids gram per gram the difference is not how you may have perceived. Immature mushrooms compared to mature mushrooms don’t have enough of difference in psilocybin content as Ps. cyanescens to Ps. Cubensis perse. What I’m trying to say is for example, immature mushrooms may contain let’s say 0.9% psilocybin and mature ones may contain let’s say 0.75%. So that means for a 100 grams of immature fruit you get 90mg of psilocybin and a 100 gr of mature fruit you get 75mg. Now let’s say you have a single tub that produces 100gr of harvested immature mushrooms, but if you let the tub mature you got 1500gr of mature mushrooms. Overweight the immature fruits from the one tub you get 90mg in the end, and with the mature fruits you would get 1.125gr or 1125 milligrams of goodies from a tub. Now why would you want to kill all those babies when you could literally just eat a half gram more to get you to the same state of mind and have bunches more to share or save for a later date?

Edited by coorsmikey, 23 March 2018 - 07:55 PM.

• onediadem, Hash_Man, CatsAndBats and 3 others like this

#8 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,397 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 March 2018 - 08:02 PM

I agree Mikey. Saving pins off of a sub that you have harvested, or aborts is one thing. Like I said above, for me, so not worth it when you can just eat a tad more. Not to mention, gathering a pound of aborts would take a lifetime lol. If he/she has the patience, it's their time and effort.

• Lakegal7 likes this

#9 MicroMycoMan

MicroMycoMan

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 124 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 March 2018 - 08:50 PM

If one wants higher concentration of alkaloids, one should grow any other psilocybe species.

For the purpose of spiritual spelunkery, I certainly will! The aspect of ritual which should be present in heroic exploration stands to benefit greatly from the attention and respect required to produce fully mature fruits of the more potent actives.

However, the higher relative difficulty to grow and longer time to fruit eliminate the more potent species from my consideration for the purpose of producing a potent and supply of daily maintenance doses with minimal effort and time invested.

#10 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 8,022 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 March 2018 - 08:58 PM

May I recommend this thread to you since you are seeking easy to grow and higher concentrations of goodies?
https://mycotopia.ne...thanol-extract/

For spiritual spelunkery of course!

Edited by coorsmikey, 23 March 2018 - 08:59 PM.

• onediadem and MicroMycoMan like this

#11 MicroMycoMan

MicroMycoMan

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 124 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 March 2018 - 09:57 PM

Without a way to actually test the content of alkaloids, the common consensus of pins being more potent that mature mushrooms is speculative.

Speculative indeed... I am aware of the placebo effect that often accompanies this sort of common assumption. Adding to that in this case is the potential "consolation factor." Folks may very well influence their own perception of a greater effect from aborts as a means to feel better about having them!

All of that notwithstanding, I am still determined to investigate the possibility of devising a simple, sustainable method to rapidly achieve fruit formation.

Not because you haven't convinced me of the efficacy of established methods, because you have done that, but because I am still curious as to the conditions under which cubensis mycelium can be made to fruit which do not require the use of established methods.
  • Lakegal7 likes this

#12 illigitimateJester

illigitimateJester

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 352 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 11:01 PM

my hypothesis on the pins vs full size mushies is just this......The mushroom, when "born" already contains the same amount of magick as it would when it's an adult.....this would explain why the appearance of aborts being stronger is accepted. 

• MsBehavin420 likes this

#13 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,397 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 March 2018 - 11:36 PM

One could also argue that it is possible to heal oneself through meditation alone. As long as all roads lead to the same place, all that matters is that we get there and not put so much controversy in the path chosen. Best of luck to your endeavors and I hope you find that in which you seek.

• coorsmikey and MicroMycoMan like this

#14 MicroMycoMan

MicroMycoMan

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 124 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 March 2018 - 03:07 AM

May I recommend this thread to you since you are seeking easy to grow and higher concentrations of goodies?https://mycotopia.ne...thanol-extract/
For spiritual spelunkery of course!

I'm so doing this. Like right now.

One could also argue that it is possible to heal oneself through meditation alone. As long as all roads lead to the same place, all that matters is that we get there and not put so much controversy in the path chosen. Best of luck to your endeavors and I hope you find that in which you seek.

Meditation alone will work if you are courageous enough. I am simply not that strong yet.. Someday I hope to be strong enough to face my "self" without magic to ease the way..until then I am thankful for it's presence in my life.

I am also thankful for your participation in this discussion. I do not experience this sort of conversation as controversy. An open dialog is the only way true understanding can ever be achieved between individuals, as semantics are so easily construed toward one's own bias.

I am also riding pretty high and hope that made sense. Lol.
  • onediadem, coorsmikey and Lakegal7 like this

#15 MicroMycoMan

MicroMycoMan

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 124 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:22 PM

@coorsmikey 5g powdered cube soaking until tomorrow night..

T-minus 28 hours until spelunking time!

20180324_191655.jpg

Edited by MicroMycoMan, 24 March 2018 - 07:23 PM.

• coorsmikey and wordman like this

#16 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 8,022 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:26 PM

Only 5gr? Man I thought you wanted potent? Ha ha just kidding, if your doing a solo flight that should be just fine. Hope you have a wonderful experience and please come back and tell us what you think.

#17 MicroMycoMan

MicroMycoMan

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 124 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:02 PM

Yep, solo this time around! I told everyone who knew about my hobby that everything got contaminated and I had to throw it all out.

I'll get back to sharing once everything is cleaned up and stashed somewhere safe.

Thanks again man, I appreciate you!

MMM

P.S.

Holy crap that gets dark quick!
  • coorsmikey likes this

#18 MicroMycoMan

MicroMycoMan

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 124 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 March 2018 - 03:49 PM

Yup. Just as you say, clean and powerful.. Dug up some pretty deep stuff in those caverns last night.

On that note, I feel I have to apologize for being an arrogant little prick sometimes. If I haven't come off that way yet it's only a matter of time... I'm working on it, but it is a persistent flaw that's hard to spot from here inside my head.

-MMM-
  • coorsmikey likes this

#19 wordman

wordman

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 08:22 PM

Aborts more potent?  Where is the scientific proof? I believe this is an Urban Legend

#20 wordman

wordman

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 08:30 PM

@coorsmikey 5g powdered cube soaking until tomorrow night..

T-minus 28 hours until spelunking time!

attachicon.gif20180324_191655.jpg

My man! A decent dose! I really envy you...

I can't wait to hear about your Spelunking report.

May you have your very BEST experience to date!

Edited by wordman, 26 March 2018 - 08:31 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!