Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

worried about my cactus. Woke up and it was sick (photos) wtd?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 whirledpeas

whirledpeas

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 486 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 March 2018 - 04:11 PM

cactus1.jpg cactus3.jpg

one side is really OFF and was round and nice just last night

• Spooner likes this

#2 whirledpeas

whirledpeas

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 486 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 March 2018 - 04:14 PM

cactus4.jpg

also from the side where it's affected

• Spooner likes this

#3 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 March 2018 - 09:48 PM

Very cute. just wait till they are plump little yearlings.

Thanks for thr pix, alyays enjoy seeing new cacti.

• whirledpeas likes this

#4 illigitimateJester

illigitimateJester

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 352 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 11:04 PM

it's rotting....too much moisture. plus, that's not a good soil mix you have there for yotes....too much organic matter....

Edited by illigitimateJester, 23 March 2018 - 11:05 PM.

• DualWieldRake and whirledpeas like this

#5 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 March 2018 - 11:24 PM

My yotes thrive on organic matter, especially worm casings, as long as the soil drains well.

Once seedlings are that big they will benefit from drying out a bit.

Watering just twice a week should be adequate, and promote healthy root growth.

• scott_1971_h, DualWieldRake and whirledpeas like this

#6 whirledpeas

whirledpeas

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 486 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 March 2018 - 11:34 PM

Thank you! i have it out and drying in where i dry my other things but i don't want it drying OUT. 

I am upset because i just got it a new clay pot and a friend and then i woke up to this ::/ it has been doing so good but i had to go to Omaha for a few days and i was stupid and turned off the heat because the weather seemed like it was actually getting nice BUT there was an ice storm and it got down to 30 something in the house... took 2 hours almost to warm up...... so i gave it little warmish water and then i woke two days later and this is how it looked. ....

i'm just sick about this. 

#7 illigitimateJester

illigitimateJester

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 352 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:25 AM

by organic matter, I meant the big ass wood chips in his mix...plus that looks like a pretty heavy water retaining mix.... I use worm castings as well, but my soil is not the color of potting soil.....

this is the best shot I could find with some soil exposed....definitely not black or dark brown and not chawked full of organic matter....But I also grow mine "wild" like....and still get about 15-25(depending on the strain/locality/age) seeds per plant annually...

8 yrs old (vendor bought)

IMG_20170620_120513024.jpg

eggshells(lots of them) with local alkaline sandy loam and wormcastings.....

4 yrs old (vendor bought)

loph1.jpg

4 months old (started from seed)

loph2.jpg

4 months old (started from seed)

loph3.jpg

I've offered my soil up for the cost of shipping before in the past......just sayin'. Nothin' else really like it.....People come from all around the globe just to see the rocks here...There's a big one right in the background of town that looks like a giant stubby penis...and people love it, they try to hike to it and get a selfie hugging it....LMAO......the soil has energy according to the crystal people/lemurians/crazies that reside here.....lol. I don't disagree....the soil can grow some killer cacti....but other things, ehh....not so much...

The seedling I pictured above is about a year old now, and still in the same pot.....It hasn't been watered in probably just under 6 months....its in my window sill and doing just fine.  They are all about to go outside for the next 7 months, and possibly all year due to a recent relocation...

My first watering of the year will basically resemble a monsoon downpour of about 15 minutes, or enough to saturate the soil...then drying will commence for 72-96 hours then another drench. Then drying will commence for 1-2 days longer than the previous drying period....until plumpness is achieved....then maximum water intake has occurred...at this point, water thoroughly once the soil is completely dry, and then guess what.......wait until soil is completely dry to water again....a light feeding of seaweed extract, along with a high P and K like "Cactus Juice" won't hurt about once a month....stop feeding a month before dormancy and completely quit watering once you bring them in(assuming you are in a northern climate)...so you might feed them once or twice a year.....

Sorry, I totally went off on a tangent......have fun any questions feel free to PM....

I've been told I can grow anything....that doesn't mean shit unless I do it well...And to be quite honest, I can't grow just anything.......But I do love cacti, and I do it well.....

Edited by illigitimateJester, 24 March 2018 - 01:39 AM.

• adrian118 likes this

#8 whirledpeas

whirledpeas

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 486 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 March 2018 - 10:03 AM

Those look great! :)  Thank you!

#9 DreamingRaven

DreamingRaven

Seeker

• VIP
  • 218 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 10:57 AM

You mentioned that temps got to 30 something where it was, and I have had them look very similar to yours when exposed to cold when small, or uprooted for shipping. Approximately half of them survived, maybe 60%.

Someone already said you might be over-watering the little guy, I rarely water little ones even twice a week, but I have high humidity. When I lived elsehere twice a week for seedlings was good.

Edited by DreamingRaven, 24 March 2018 - 10:58 AM.

• whirledpeas likes this

#10 DualWieldRake

DualWieldRake

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:15 PM

Thank you! i have it out and drying in where i dry my other things but i don't want it drying OUT. 

I am upset because i just got it a new clay pot and a friend and then i woke up to this ::/ it has been doing so good but i had to go to Omaha for a few days and i was stupid and turned off the heat because the weather seemed like it was actually getting nice BUT there was an ice storm and it got down to 30 something in the house... took 2 hours almost to warm up...... so i gave it little warmish water and then i woke two days later and this is how it looked. ....

i'm just sick about this. 

Why not dry it out?

Perhaps a cactus major strength is being able to withstand drought, whereas it's enemies can't

Everytime you water your peyote after it even got wrinkly from the extended dry soil, it basically has the whole pot for itself since everything else died or left

A lot of situations and soil types can work, as long as you make sure to keep the good guys in or the bad guys out.

If this is not on your agenda the easy fix is let your cactus use it's ability to survive

Edited by DualWieldRake, 24 March 2018 - 08:17 PM.

• coorsmikey, Spooner and whirledpeas like this

#11 whirledpeas

whirledpeas

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 486 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:34 PM

I have it out and dry, whatever was happening HAS stopped so far.   Doing a couple other things last night that may sound like "hocus pokus"  (like healing frequency music and such) but whatever i figured it wont hurt anyway. 

I decided not to put it where it was (in soil pictured).  And things went sideways when i put warm water right in it, when i panicked about the temp in the house (until then i did not do a direct water... mainly a light mist once in awhile, or small amount from the bottom... it worked for many months).  The soil i did have was not the one shown. The morning we found the damage i ran out and bought "cactus soil" from the feed and grain store right down the street (i am in a very remote area right now), so what was pictured was the transplant earlier that day.  I tossed the old as i was initially thinking maybe there was a disease or bug in the soil. 

I am still watching it overnight  and i don't want to give up on it at all. 

Edited by whirledpeas, 24 March 2018 - 09:35 PM.

#12 illigitimateJester

illigitimateJester

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 352 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 10:36 AM

Yotes can go up to six months without any water at all.....This happens naturally in the wild....

• whirledpeas likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!