• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Rangley

Rangley

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 239 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 06:37 PM

I might just be crazy, but I have been extensively planning to move to Alaska!
  • Juthro likes this

#2 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• App Administrator
  • 5,381 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:48 PM

Why?
  • Rangley likes this

#3 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 12,758 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:16 PM

I knew a guy who went up to Alaska a 98 pound weakling.    He came back a husky fucker!

• Sidestreet and Rangley like this

#4 Rangley

Rangley

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 239 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:32 PM

Why?

I feel like I could list a million reasons. So I’ll just say to live a more fulfilling life.
  • Juthro likes this

#5 Rangley

Rangley

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 239 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:33 PM

I knew a guy who went up to Alaska a 98 pound weakling.    He came back a husky fucker!

The army fattened me up but since I got out I have lost most of it. I’m quite short weight just about 125 lol. I’m sure I am going to put on some lbs

#6 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,608 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 April 2018 - 03:30 AM

Go spend a couple of weeks in Alaska in the winter (or summer) before you make the decision to sell all your shit and move there. I picked up and bailed to AK and moved back within a year. For me it was a very expensive year long vacation with shitty accommodations. Of course depending where you end up will make a difference. But please go check it out for more than a week before you commit to moving. Man I thought it would be perfect for me and I would love it, I hated living there it turned out. But I will go back and visit often.
  • Juthro and Rangley like this

#7 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,719 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 April 2018 - 12:26 PM

They got laws against that now....

I totally agree with what Mikey said. AK is not for everybody, and it there is a lot of differences depending on where in the state you want to be. Right now our economy is tanking (its very oil/gas/military dependent) so finding a good job once your here could prove difficult. And most of the ones that you can find are in places that I don't like to visit, let alone am I willing to live there (AKA Anchorage).

And like Mikey kind of hinted at, our four months of summer are magical. But your first year is going to be an eye opener if you aren't prepared for what winter is like here, and the fact that it drags on for over half the year.

But the views..... :excl:  :excl:  :excl:  :excl:  :meditate:

post-136504-0-39148300-1523034962.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0311 (2).jpg

Edited by Juthro, 06 April 2018 - 12:27 PM.

• Alder Logs likes this

#8 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,608 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 April 2018 - 01:03 PM

Oh yeah and don’t worry about the mosquitoes in the majestic summer of the midnight sun, just shut your windows about halfway and they can’t get in. All the stories you’ve heard about the mosquitoes are probably true. I had my window cover with insulation and the seems taped to prevent any light from getting in so I could get my mind to think it was dark so I could sleep a few hours.

I’ll dig up some photos to add. As things come to me I’ll post some of the Highlights from my experience as well as the less desirables.

Alaska definitely has a charm for the right personality, especially someone reclusive and doesn’t want friends and family showing up unannounced. One of the best lessons for me was, that it is really inexpensive to visit Alaska. In fact it is less expensive than flying to Seattle for me. That may vary depending on the departure location.

#9 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,719 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 April 2018 - 02:51 PM

Aww yes, our state bird, the mosquito....

post-136504-0-91096400-1523044248.jpg

shannon-sweet-among-mosquitos.jpg

Edited by Juthro, 06 April 2018 - 02:52 PM.

• coorsmikey, Spooner and Rangley like this

#10 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 April 2018 - 05:53 PM

Good thing about visiting is the freedom to scout out multiple places and find one that matches your temperament and abilities.

• coorsmikey, Juthro and Rangley like this

#11 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,719 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 April 2018 - 06:40 PM

Good thing about visiting is the freedom to scout out multiple places and find one that matches your temperament and abilities.

Wise words, as there is a LOT of difference in the various areas of the state.

Remember Alaska is bigger then Texas, California, and Montana combined.
  • Spooner likes this

#12 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,758 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 April 2018 - 07:00 PM

The skeeters in the San Joaquin have airframes that make a loud crunch when you smash them, and they can bite you through Levis, but I have not seen them in the quantities in that image.     There are plenty enough where I am now, so no need here to go looking for commercial quantities. 

#13 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,719 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 April 2018 - 07:15 PM

And did I mention the wonderful things you can see here.
Live and in person, not in a zoo or a designated viewing area....

Though I totally agree you should try and spend some time here and get a feel for the place before you sink all your savings into an Alaska or bust run. Cuz as much as I love it, I know its not for everybody.

DSC_0068  (1).jpg otter (1).jpg DSC_0508 (1).jpg DSC_0246 (1).jpg
  • Rangley likes this

#14 Rangley

Rangley

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 239 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 02:13 AM

Go spend a couple of weeks in Alaska in the winter (or summer) before you make the decision to sell all your shit and move there. I picked up and bailed to AK and moved back within a year. For me it was a very expensive year long vacation with shitty accommodations. Of course depending where you end up will make a difference. But please go check it out for more than a week before you commit to moving. Man I thought it would be perfect for me and I would love it, I hated living there it turned out. But I will go back and visit often.

Absolutely! My wife and I were just talking about visiting next summer when my business tends to slow down. I believe that plann ing prevents piss poor performance. This a ten year goal stretching across all aspects of my families home lifestyle. To slowly prepare would make us better individuals in the long run wether we end up there or not we feel. I’ll go into more detail about that later in the thread!
  • coorsmikey likes this

#15 Rangley

Rangley

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 239 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 02:46 AM

I knew a guy who went up to Alaska a 98 pound weakling. He came back a husky fucker!

They got laws against that now....
I totally agree with what Mikey said. AK is not for everybody, and it there is a lot of differences depending on where in the state you want to be. Right now our economy is tanking (its very oil/gas/military dependent) so finding a good job once your here could prove difficult. And most of the ones that you can find are in places that I don't like to visit, let alone am I willing to live there (AKA Anchorage).
And like Mikey kind of hinted at, our four months of summer are magical. But your first year is going to be an eye opener if you aren't prepared for what winter is like here, and the fact that it drags on for over half the year.
But the views..... :excl: :excl: :excl: :excl: :meditate:

post-136504-0-39148300-1523034962.jpg
Thanks for the response Juthro! I have no doubt that I will have my trials and tribulations. With a decade of being in the military I have seen many cities, states, and countries. None are absolutely perfect you just have to find your balance like everything on earth.

Employment is one of my main concerns. I would call myself a jack of all trades, as I’ll cover later. However being from the south my primary income sources as of now would be irrelevant. I own two small businesses, and only one would maybe make it up north. Both businesses are a year old and before that I worked on military aircraft as an avionics technician. I have been doing that for nearly ten years, and only stepped away to spend more time home with my daughter and less time traveling. I understand Alaska is plane country, and wires are wires which gives me high hopes. . Although to work at a smaller airport I’ll have to invest some money into civilian certifications. Even though the prototypes I have built as a civilian contractor are extensively more advanced than civilian aircraft. Dang FAA.

While in the military I spent my entire contract at Fort drum. For those who don’t know that is in upstate NY, 25 miles south of the Canadian border. I’m familiar with feet of snowfall in a night. Might have to deal with a little more in Alaska, but after more than five feet it all sucks unburying yourself anyway lol. I know the temperatures in Fort Drum rival those of Alaska. With winter lasting 7-8 months out of the year and Fort Drum not having the long sunny days like y’all it’s normal for huge collections of snow and ice to be in parking lots and sit almost throughout summer. I saw temperatures as low as forty below, and it stayed 20-30 below consistently. It was normal for us to run outside as long as it wasn’t lower than 25 below.

Because of my disability sleep comes few and far between. My lawn equipment has light bars side I work a lot t night , and my wife has to drag me out of the garage at 3am because of my tinkering. Days and nights were over for me a long time ago. I sleep when I’m tired until I’m rested. I believe the time spent inside will be well worth it huddled around the family. Allowing me to research, plan, design and get ready to build and execute next summer. It’s how I normally work anyways. I’ll gather parts for a car for months then do it all at once.

If I wanted easy I’d stay on my covered porch here in the south. From what I have seen on the map, with statistics, and a little bit of time spent in AL I am leaning towards the Kenai peninsula

Edited by Rangley, 07 April 2018 - 02:54 AM.

• Juthro likes this

#16 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,719 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2018 - 10:54 AM

That sounds like a decent plan. Planes and boats are big up here, and there is a definitely a nitch to fill in the service and repair roles for both.

The Kenai Peninsula is a great area, that's where I would suggest you look if your planning to move here. There are decent sized air fields in several of the cities here. Kenai, Soldotna, Homer, and Seward would probably be your best bets. Kenai's airport is the largest on the peninsula by far, and has a fair sized commercial terminal as well.

And there are two sides to every coin, cuz while the economy is not at its best right now, the housing market has dropped, and you can get a house and property here relatively cheap compared to most places in the US.

Please feel free to ask any questions that I can help you with brother.
  • Rangley likes this

#17 Rangley

Rangley

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 239 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 12:00 PM

Thank you spooner! Like coors, juthro, and you advised I’m going to research the entire state and the individual towns, cities very well. I have to think about school for the little one in a few years. It has to have employment opportunities for my wife. Close to healthcare. and a post office. Also close to a VA hospital but I’m willing to travel. Especially with how long it takes them to make appointments

#18 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,758 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2018 - 12:04 PM

I can't believe they'd name a town after Homer, doh!

#19 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,608 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2018 - 12:20 PM

Here is a cool link that I used to track the lights when I was there. It may be helpful in planning a visit too if you consider going during winter. The light are truly something to look forward to during the long winters.
http://www.ronnmurra...AlaskaAuroraCam
http://www.ronnmurrayphoto.com/

#20 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,719 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2018 - 12:32 PM

I can't believe they'd name a town after Homer, doh!

And the most noteworthy feature in Homer town is 'The Spit' :)

https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Homer_Spit

The next most noteworthy feature is the Salty Dawg Saloon, which happens to be on the Spit.

salty-dog-homer.jpg

Edited by Juthro, 07 April 2018 - 12:33 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!