55 replies to this topic

#1 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,564 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 April 2018 - 12:24 AM

I have not had or used a wand. That said, I have a 15 year old Melaleuca Tree I have been training since it was planted. This year I needed to do a hard heavy pruning. This is the tree that tea tree oil is made from. I hate just tossing all that beautiful aromatic wood, and decided to make a wand from one of many pieces that really wanted to be used for making something.

I basically just followed what seemed right and what the wood wanted to become. I am finished now with the carving and sanding, and debating whether to stain, oil, or just leave it natural. It has a really nice feel, and there are more projects in store for some of the other pieces I saved.

So, for anyone who has made or used a wand, what do you like for ornamentation and why? I know the Melaleuca is not a traditional wood, but I very much like the healing aspects of this wood, and the fact that it seemed to ask me to become a wand. 

Here is what it looks like. Please share your opinions, and any wandcraft knowledge you like. Pictures if you are comfortable with that.

post-126525-0-05240400-1523251143.jpg

wand again 1.jpg

wand again 2.jpg

wand again 4.jpg

Edited by Skywatcher, 09 April 2018 - 08:39 AM.

• onediadem, Myc, -=Zeus=- and 7 others like this

#2 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,580 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 April 2018 - 03:32 AM

Always follow your heart in spiritual matters. I would love to have one made like this. Looks awesome and functional (because it wants to be) and would be good raw or finished. 

• Myc, Arathu, wildedibles and 1 other like this

#3 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,544 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 April 2018 - 04:41 AM

Awesome wand Skye, very nice work. Mine is made from great lakes driftwood and carved into a serpent.......

Some ideas for ornamentation are runic inscriptions or even your own sigils and of course your wrapping skills are also killer.........

The combination of magnets, wire wraps, and crystals makes for and electrically "singing" / "ringing" wand......

Butcher Block is a nice finish, various oils can be used and even bee's wax rubbed in.......IMHO ask it what it wants...

A

Edited by Arathu, 09 April 2018 - 04:45 AM.

• Myc, Coopdog, wildedibles and 2 others like this

#4 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 14,906 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 April 2018 - 08:07 AM

Had you not sad it is wood, I would have thought it made from bone. I believe that you will know what to do when the time is right to do so. Beautiful work Sky. I can't wait to see this unfold!

• wildedibles, Skywatcher and MsBehavin420 like this

#5 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,564 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 April 2018 - 09:00 AM

I was thinking I wanted a stone (or several) incorporated. Stone properties I know something about, but the attachment is presenting a conflict. Somehow glue seems wrong, Its sticky, and unnatural. I feel like this would "gum up" or restrict the energy flow. I could wrap with metal wire, and secure the wrap to the wood, but this once again feels like it would alter and restrict. I will likely need to place anything I want to use with the wand and see how it feels.

I should probably mention I received a new Moldavite, I fell immediately in love with, and have had it in my pocket the entire time I was inspired to make this, and during the carving.

Any runes or inscriptions will definitely change the flavor, and unless it is to be dedicated to a particular use, I am hesitant to do this. So far the wand feels free to use as I will, although other than directing a more precise directed intent, By my nature it would only be used with positive energy.

I feel like the making was a merging of our energy, but wondered if any of you use any kind of clearing or dedication rituals?

Coop, I have more wood with the many layers of paper like bark still on it if you would like a piece. I know some people buy a wand to use, but i can't imagine this would be as strongly infused with your personal energy as when you have made it yourself.

• Coopdog, Arathu and wildedibles like this

#6 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,580 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 April 2018 - 12:30 PM

I have a piece of Waxwood that came from the tip of a martial arts staff that was a little too long. I carved it into a drumstick and infused it with some hand carved power symbols and wrapped the end with a pad of wet leather and let it shrink to fit that I have used as a wand a few times. It has come through some strange and interesting ritual healings with me, and I feel somehow it has easily come to be a power object. I believe intent makes it so.  I have also thought of putting a stone into the handle of it but like you said have not made that move because I am not sure what would be best for that practice or if it is even the right thing to do. Seen other wands made like that and it almost seems to be pretty window dressing and maybe not necessary nor correct (to me) but that is also entirely up to the individual. These things are very much instinctive and I say do what makes you feel best about it.  

• onediadem, Arathu, wildedibles and 1 other like this

#7 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• App Administrator
  • 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 April 2018 - 03:16 PM

Very nice. I have plans to do something like this with wood from my elder bushes
  • onediadem, Coopdog, Arathu and 2 others like this

#8 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,544 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 April 2018 - 04:56 PM

friends_and_tools.jpg

Hand made and re-purposed.......for certain our wills and intents infuse these items with power...........

A cleansing and then a consecration working is advised IMHO.........

And I'm always reminded that none of these things are necessary at all.......

Some of my best workings are nothing more, or less, than deeply focused and emotional direction.......

You can feel what to do for sure.......IME

A  

• Coopdog, wildedibles and Skywatcher like this

#9 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,564 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 April 2018 - 05:12 PM

Thank you Arathu, as always. Love the Athalame.  

• Coopdog, Arathu and wildedibles like this

#10 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,544 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 April 2018 - 05:20 PM

Thanks Skye.....right back atcha brother............

A

• wildedibles likes this

#11 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 14,906 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:47 PM

Wow, nice blade Arathu! I am into blades. I have one I wear around my neck and under my shirt. Nice thin blade too. I feel as though it protects me from ill intent just wearing it. I seriously doubt I will ever have to use it. I will have to replace a lot of them as time goes on as I no longer have them.

Edited by Skywatcher, 10 April 2018 - 08:43 AM.

• Arathu and wildedibles like this

#12 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2018 - 12:50 AM

Sky, I am unfamiliar with the use of a wand can you help me out?  Does it assist in projecting your intent like a conductor's baton or is it meant to be charged, retain, and release energy more like a grenade or pistol?  (Sorry to use such crude analogies, hope you can think of better ones.) 

It is certainly a spectacular stripped branch. thanks for the pix.  There a million ways to ornament it, but once it is oiled I would choose additions for the handle that accent rather than distract from the natural beauty of the spiral shaft.  Are there certain stones that would help you focus, without limiting the scope of your intended use?

Edited by Spooner, 10 April 2018 - 02:12 AM.

• onediadem, Coopdog, wildedibles and 1 other like this

#13 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,564 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2018 - 09:10 AM

As I understand,

a wand is a tool, a conductor of energy and intent. It can flow both directions. I have always used my hands when charging an item or a circle. A wand directs in a much more precise direction, and focuses the energy into a more compact and precise flow.

(Think laser as compared to flashlight)

You are the source or conductor of this energy and intent.

Although this tool can also be used to pull specific energy back into you from a precise target, such as flowing water (persistence), a birds enhanced vision (accuracy), a trees flexibility (adjusting to the flow), I personally find these things will be offered freely if I but ask. For that matter, any tool is just that, only a tool, and it does not empower, only acts as an aide to help one do as they will with more precision. I personally do not take what is not freely offered, but often give back in whatever way I can.

As a tool, it will be and become more attuned to your personal signature energy. I like to care for my tools and keep them clean and cared for. It should be considered an extention, not a seperate power pack IMO, but I am sure there are some who do use these tools as storage facilities to be discharged later as directed.

My Majic is a much more giving sort, and for me I am offered far more for simply asking and giving thanks and reciprocation with nature, and non corporal energies, than I could accomplish with only my own will and what I could take. (Feels like that would be stealing)

I am no expert, and perhaps others would share their answers to your question Spooner, but i hope that was some help.

Edited by Skywatcher, 10 April 2018 - 09:20 AM.

• onediadem, Arathu, wildedibles and 1 other like this

#14 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,544 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2018 - 05:00 PM

As I understand,

a wand is a tool, a conductor of energy and intent. It can flow both directions. I have always used my hands when charging an item or a circle. A wand directs in a much more precise direction, and focuses the energy into a more compact and precise flow.

(Think laser as compared to flashlight)

You are the source or conductor of this energy and intent.

Although this tool can also be used to pull specific energy back into you from a precise target, such as flowing water (persistence), a birds enhanced vision (accuracy), a trees flexibility (adjusting to the flow), I personally find these things will be offered freely if I but ask. For that matter, any tool is just that, only a tool, and it does not empower, only acts as an aide to help one do as they will with more precision. I personally do not take what is not freely offered, but often give back in whatever way I can.

As a tool, it will be and become more attuned to your personal signature energy. I like to care for my tools and keep them clean and cared for. It should be considered an extention, not a seperate power pack IMO, but I am sure there are some who do use these tools as storage facilities to be discharged later as directed.

My Majic is a much more giving sort, and for me I am offered far more for simply asking and giving thanks and reciprocation with nature, and non corporal energies, than I could accomplish with only my own will and what I could take. (Feels like that would be stealing)

I am no expert, and perhaps others would share their answers to your question Spooner, but i hope that was some help.

You've explained it beautifully Skye and I share your views and experiences.

IME these are indeed tools that I use for concentrating specific types of energies.

The wand, for me, is a symbol of the airy things, masculine, phallic, and thus a resonant conduit for such energy.

Likewise with the others as well..............

A

• wildedibles and Skywatcher like this

#15 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,536 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2018 - 05:35 PM

Perhaps you could use wetted rawhide for ornamentation with stones?

Or if you don't prefer to use animal products.....perhaps some hemp fibers. You could harvest them from the stalks of an outdoor grow. This would also increase the personal "investment" in the instrument (and make a pretty neat handle if woven in a clever fashion). 

As for the finish, I like the idea of hand-rubbed beeswax. 

Cool wand mang !  I really like the spiral. ;)

• Arathu, wildedibles, Skywatcher and 1 other like this

#16 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,564 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2018 - 10:26 PM

I have tried several stones I really felt were appropriate, held in place by hand. The wand made it clear it disagrees.....................

So I have now decided (agreed) to just keep it natural, and just give it a good protective natural rubbed finish. This I will do after a thorough cleansing with sage and copal, and after it has been infused with light.

Somehow a rubdown with Tea Tree Oil before finishing seems appropriate.

@Myc, I like the idea of beeswax. I am not sure how to do that. Basicly melt the wax onto the wood, and then rub/buff?

• wildedibles likes this

#17 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 14,906 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2018 - 10:36 PM

I wonder if hand finishing it with a natural substance would create the same look as meerschaum when handled? That would make it even more enhanced with "you". Especially if you were the only one that ever touched it. 

• Skywatcher likes this

#18 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,149 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2018 - 11:17 PM

Skye, you might think of using a WATCO Danish oil. Its a blend of a drying oil(Tung oil, IIRC) and varnish. It's more durable and offers more protection then oil or wax alone. I love the way drying oils (Tung, and linseed) bring out the natural texture and grain of wood.

Though I'm sure whatever you decide on is going to look killer, it is a very cool wand
  • onediadem likes this

#19 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,135 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2018 - 11:32 PM

Test the beeswax on another piece of the same wood with similar grain structure first, as it might make a splotchy finish because it might not mix evenly with the oil from hands (unless that's what you want).   Hand rub the test piece for a while and see if it gets splotchy.   I once oiled a spoon I carved from madrone with olive oil and it didn't like handling.

Hey Juth, I got a full gallon steel can of Hope's Pure Tung Oil at a garage sale for $1.00.  It still had the old looking original price tag from Yard Birds for $29.95.   I just looked on Amazon (who gets none of my money if I can help it) and they have it in plastic quarts for $24.19.

Edited by Alder Logs, 10 April 2018 - 11:59 PM.

#20 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,564 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 April 2018 - 08:25 AM

I wonder if hand finishing it with a natural substance would create the same look as meerschaum when handled? That would make it even more enhanced with "you". Especially if you were the only one that ever touched it. 

I have quite a few natural porous items that absorb body oils, (wood, stone, bone) and they definitely become more personal over time. I like this, and am reasonably sure nobody handles my tools but me. My partner certainly does not unless I physically hand it to him to look at.

The ability to absorb body oils is part of why I like a natural finish. It remains open to absorb. Good wood furniture also seems to still absorb a good feeding oil like orange oil, so I do not really want this dipped in resin kind of sealed.

(I love meerschaum)

• onediadem likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!