55 replies to this topic

#21 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,539 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 April 2018 - 09:08 AM

@Myc, I like the idea of beeswax. I am not sure how to do that. Basicly melt the wax onto the wood, and then rub/buff?

Simply take the ingot of cold beeswax and rub it on the wood - like a crayon. 

Then you buff the wax in - like polishing shoes. The heat from the hand rubbing spreads the wax and brings out the shine.  I've done this with the wood cabinet of a vintage tube amp - so I trust that the beeswax will not be damaging. When the amp was originally produced, this was the method of finish applied at the factory. 

I simply cannot get over the helical spiral.......I think the spiral is revealing. 

It speaks to the items "authenticity" (at least, for me). 

Look at a dried bull penis one time and you'll see what I mean. 

• Arathu, wildedibles and Skywatcher like this

#22 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:19 AM

Due to the intricate nature of the spiral, it may be beneficial to add some oil to the beeswax to allow it to penetrate the wood more uniformly and completely.  A good combination can be achieved by melting beeswax and olive oil (or other natural oil) together.  The combination smells great and when cooled retains adequate hardness but has improved penetration characteristics.  1:1 by volume has been a good tough mix for many applications (walking sticks for example).

Looking forward to hearing how this wand evolves, since change is a critical feature of life and the wand may be expected to continue to grow though more slowly as it matures.

• Arathu, wildedibles, Skywatcher and 1 other like this

#23 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,575 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 April 2018 - 01:33 PM

I simply cannot get over the helical spiral.......I think the spiral is revealing. 

The wood was a solid columnar rod after I cleaned the bark off. Spirals are a sacred geometry to me, so I carved the spiral into the wood and removed the space between to reveal the darker core wood. I did also carve a leaf pattern top and bottom to echo the nature of the tree it came from. I am happy with the carving, and i think the detail will show more once this has a finish on it. Thank you for the wax instruction. I believe I will go this route.

• Myc, Arathu, wildedibles and 1 other like this

#24 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,080 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 April 2018 - 01:02 PM

I have tried several stones I really felt were appropriate, held in place by hand. The wand made it clear it disagrees.....................
So I have now decided (agreed) to just keep it natural, and just give it a good protective natural rubbed finish. This I will do after a thorough cleansing with sage and copal, and after it has been infused with light.

Somehow a rubdown with Tea Tree Oil before finishing seems appropriate.

@Myc, I like the idea of beeswax. I am not sure how to do that. Basicly melt the wax onto the wood, and then rub/buff?

Hahahaha I wass reading and reading and well tea tree oil was sruck in my head I use this miixed with flax seed oil on furnature especialy in damp areas its kept mold off of many antiques ;)
not saying your wand will mold but tea tree is great for health etc it add that energies and its suitable for the wood it soak in like it belongs :) and merge with it good call :)
  • Skywatcher and Spooner like this

#25 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,080 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 April 2018 - 01:05 PM

The wood was a solid columnar rod after I cleaned the bark off. Spirals are a sacred geometry to me, so I carved the spiral into the wood and removed the space between to reveal the darker core wood. I did also carve a leaf pattern top and bottom to echo the nature of the tree it came from. I am happy with the carving, and i think the detail will show more once this has a finish on it. Thank you for the wax instruction. I believe I will go this route.
you can stil add a few drops of tea tree oil to this mix
  • Skywatcher and Spooner like this

#26 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,544 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:53 PM

Simply take the ingot of cold beeswax and rub it on the wood - like a crayon. 

Then you buff the wax in - like polishing shoes. The heat from the hand rubbing spreads the wax and brings out the shine.  I've done this with the wood cabinet of a vintage tube amp - so I trust that the beeswax will not be damaging. When the amp was originally produced, this was the method of finish applied at the factory. 

Look at a dried bull penis one time and you'll see what I mean. 

Dude that's exactly what I was thinking too.......this IS a very powerful piece actually.......IMHO

I know where I saw one last year too, actually more than one I think but probably not one solid spiral......

Indeed............awesome!

• Myc, wildedibles and Skywatcher like this

#27 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,539 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:13 PM

I'm adding one of my personal curiosities.

Trees and other plants grow in a spiral. - Look at a dead tree or the spines of columnar cacti and you'll see what I mean. 

I have always wondered if they spiral in one direction in the Northern Hemisphere and the opposite direction in the Southern Hemisphere. As if they were Right-handed or Left-handed depending upon location. 

Anyone know for sure?

Edited by Myc, 12 April 2018 - 06:14 PM.

• Arathu, Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#28 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,544 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:39 PM

I don't know.....damned good question.........I wonder if a quick check of grapevine tendrils would show anything?

EDIT: Yes a quick check shows:

As in nature, the result was equal numbers of coils of opposite handedness separated by a perversion point, as well as the overwinding of the coils when the two ends were pulled further apart (Gerbode et al., 2012).

Found: http://dev.biologist...ent/143/18/3272

A

Edited by Arathu, 12 April 2018 - 07:33 PM.

• Myc and Skywatcher like this

#29 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:30 PM

I have tried several stones I really felt were appropriate, held in place by hand. The wand made it clear it disagrees.....................
So I have now decided (agreed) to just keep it natural, and just give it a good protective natural rubbed finish. This I will do after a thorough cleansing with sage and copal, and after it has been infused with light.

Somehow a rubdown with Tea Tree Oil before finishing seems appropriate.

Hahahaha I wass reading and reading and well tea tree oil was sruck in my head I use this miixed with flax seed oil on furnature especialy in damp areas its kept mold off of many antiques ;)
not saying your wand will mold but tea tree is great for health etc it add that energies and its suitable for the wood it soak in like it belongs :) and merge with it good call :)

Tea Tree oil sounds great.  Beeswax can be mixed with oil in any ratio from a few drops to a major contribution.  It has been almost 40 years since my last batch but if memory serves me, it takes about 5 parts oil to 1 part beeswax to get it down to lip balm consistency.  Might want to make a bit of sweet smelling chapstick type lip balm while you are at it.  The point being, only add enough to suit your purpose.  .

You can melt beeswax with just the sun.  On a hot day, in a pot or cooking pan, cover with a piece if glass.  I often left a bread pan with an inch of water and added the wax cappings and old dirty broken combs, then let the sun melt it all day in the sun to separate out and purify the wax.  Honey, and impurities drop into the water leaving a nice clean wax floating to the top, ready for processing into new foundation sheets.  It worked great without any electricity.

Edited by Spooner, 12 April 2018 - 07:43 PM.

• Myc, Arathu, Skywatcher and 1 other like this

#30 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,575 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:35 PM

I'm adding one of my personal curiosities.

Trees and other plants grow in a spiral. - Look at a dead tree or the spines of columnar cacti and you'll see what I mean. 

I have always wondered if they spiral in one direction in the Northern Hemisphere and the opposite direction in the Southern Hemisphere. As if they were Right-handed or Left-handed depending upon location. 

Anyone know for sure?

Best answer I could find Myc, was this study done in Australia

http://www.abc.net.a.../13/2274301.htm

The Fibonacci spiral is one of the most visible sacred geometries in nature. Seen in multitudes of plant growth, all the way to the spiral galaxies. I find the blueprint for life in sacred geometry. Here's a tidbit:

http://homepages.mat...rd/spirals.html

Edited by Skywatcher, 12 April 2018 - 07:41 PM.

• Myc, coorsmikey, Juthro and 1 other like this

#31 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,575 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:47 PM

Thank you Wilde and Spooner. The Melaleuca tree is itself the source of tea tree oil, and you can smell its aromatics when it is cut. The benefits of tea tree oil was part of why I like this wood. I love and appreciate the info on how to combine the oil and the beeswax to make a natural finish for this wand. It feels like letting the wood drink in what it naturally produces, a full circle..................

Which i also like.

• Arathu, Juthro, Spooner and 1 other like this

#32 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 14,907 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:47 PM

I watched that crazy man make those bull penis canes on tv. Gross and beautiful at the same time lol.

• Arathu and wildedibles like this

#33 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,080 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:26 AM

;) can i get a bull penis cane? hehe nevermind....lol

good question about the direction of the spirial of growing wood :)

grapvine tendrils will laso anything close to them so they can climb ...have you guys seen this done ? I think they did all laso all in the same direction........

#34 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,539 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:59 AM

I didn't even know they existed until I saw one. 

The cane was a personalized award for excellence of service. The man who received it was an internal bank fraud investigator (and well-known for being "good" at his job). 

• wildedibles and Skywatcher like this

#35 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,080 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:45 AM

:) lol ....I remember another use for our wands ) when your little kitty familiars are bored tie a little string on the end and it be endless fun witht he kitty without your fingers paying the price ......j/k maybe Skye needs to make a seprate stick for his new kitty ;)

my hubby made me a nice digging stick out of maple wood it was strong enough so I can up root roots with very little effort ...until the little dog ate it......ometimes our animals love our tools so much they need onee of thier own ;)
  • onediadem, Skywatcher, Juthro and 1 other like this

#36 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,080 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2018 - 04:54 PM

The cane was a personalized award for excellence of service. The man who received it was an internal bank fraud investigator (and well-known for being "good" at his job).

Hahahah read that very tired this morning and reading it agin now ........well that guy got awarded for being a dick ;) lol well to the people comitting fraud anyway lol
  • Myc and Juthro like this

#37 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,080 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2018 - 04:57 PM

:) lol ....I remember another use for our wands ) when your little kitty familiars are bored tie a little string on the end and it be endless fun witht he kitty without your fingers paying the price ......j/k maybe Skye needs to make a seprate stick for his new kitty ;)
my hubby made me a nice digging stick out of maple wood it was strong enough so I can up root roots with very little effort ...until the little dog ate it......ometimes our animals love our tools so much they need onee of thier own ;)

Hubby reminded me about his fishing pole have you ever seen a dog poop out one of them ....lol ate everything but the reel
  • Spooner and Pan1 like this

#38 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,080 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2018 - 05:00 PM

Hubby reminded me about his fishing pole have you ever seen a dog poop out one of them ....lol ate everything but the reel (there was no hooks on it ) oh ya all the handles off his screw drivers too

ok back to wands sorry about the side track ;)

what is the traditional types of wood used to make wands?

• Spooner likes this

#39 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,139 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2018 - 05:23 PM

He was a The Bank Dick?

w-c-fields-portrait-photo-print-5.jpg  1595962218_0a4f64ecf1_o.jpg

Note Detective Stories in his pocket.  Nothing like taking your work home with you. 

Edited by Alder Logs, 13 April 2018 - 05:26 PM.

• Myc and wildedibles like this

#40 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,080 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:55 PM

I want a staff now it be a goood tool when out on hikes Im thinking maple :)
  • Skywatcher likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!