• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 425nm

425nm

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 396 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 11:32 PM

With cannabis legalization at the federal level up here in the great white north I've decided to grow me some dope for the very first time! I don't consume huge amounts of cannabis so if I am successful I'm not entirely sure what I'll end up doing with most of it but I've always loved the look of the plants and wanted to try my hand at growing them for years. Poking around it seems that pot seed is real expensive. Annoyingly so, I get in many cases a lot of work went into producing some of these strains and hybrids but good lord its across the board. Fortunately I discovered a site selling seed for much much cheaper, Just a handful seeds (or JAHSeeds). I'm in no way affiliated with these folks and have no idea how good their seed is. They did however purport to be selling strains that do well in Canada.

I've got: 16 seeds (non-feminized) of 'The Best' - Lollipurps x Blueberry

16 seeds (non-feminized) of 'Blue Lagoon' - TAD OP X Blueberry

16 seeds (non-feminized) of 'Big Blue Mother Skunker' - Blueberry X Big Mother Skunker (Island Sweet Skunk x Wappa)

I have no idea if any of these are actually strains nor do I know who is an indica, who is a sativa, or who is some mix there of. I did throw some of those names into seedfinder and tapped out when I discovered there are TWENTY different genealogies named fucking blueberry. If anyone happens to know anything regarding the above strains please post.

I'll be growing outdoors as I don't have the space indoors nor the cash for beefier grow lights. I'll be starting the seedlings indoors under some T5HOs and moving them out to my greenhouse once the night time temps get a little higher (currently not getting much above 8C). I'm probably not going to feminize the seeds as I would like to collect seed at the end of the season to avoid having to buy more seed. But maybe I'll feminize some to ensure I don't end up rolling majority males.

First seed

I won't be getting around to sowing the seed tonight. Perhaps tomorrow.

• MungoFungo likes this

#2 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 14,332 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 April 2018 - 12:07 AM

Sweet! I love growing it. I just wish I could smoke what I grow. Gives me serious anxiety attacks. Although cbd edibles are ok. You will love growing I believe.

• Myc and Microbe like this

#3 425nm

425nm

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 396 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 12:47 AM

Sweet! I love growing it. I just wish I could smoke what I grow. Gives me serious anxiety attacks. Although cbd edibles are ok. You will love growing I believe.

I'm pretty excited. I love gardening (I have some fun pepper varieties coming in the mail too!) so I'm sure it will be a grand time.
I have a very low tolerance so I have to be quite careful in titrating my dosage otherwise it also makes me suuuuuper anxious. Edibles are the devil though I've never tried a CBD one.
  • onediadem and Myc like this

#4 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 14,332 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 April 2018 - 01:20 AM

I use canna butter and make no bake chocolate/ peanut butter oatmeal bars. I add lecithin to increase bioavailability.

They freeze well, and are nice for sleepy time.

• Myc likes this

#5 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,322 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:31 AM

Same here! I was fine until my early 20's and nowni flip my shit everytime now. I think when indoor cultivation started becoming popular the market became heavily saturated and still today with indica , at least in the parts of the country i have lived.

I think i need a pure sativa which I get is speedier and doesnt make sense as it wouldnt help anxiety but my anxiety is a result of being so damn uncomfortable from a indica buzz while i believe i used to smoke 100% sativa is more euphoric so I wouldnt have anxiety. Similar to what kratom does for me, gives just enough euphoria to mask the depression and anxiety.

There are 3 strains that were suggested to me along with some details how to flower them and keep them short in a grow tent but I cant remember the names of the strains. I hoping to get one of them and give it a go.
  • Myc likes this

#6 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,322 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:34 AM

Man your going to have fun. Im currently about to finish up my second run and i can say i have developed a passion for it. My passion for mycology rivals it but who knows, when i get deeper into the science of cannabis plants, the gap may quickly close. Good luck man!

#7 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,211 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 April 2018 - 04:50 PM

Thanks big time!

All of this anecdotal feedback to this statement has helped me to realize something.........

This site is so handy for so many things. 

#8 425nm

425nm

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 396 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 09:35 PM

Alright, I've set the "Best" seed to soak. I'm still on the fence about the other two batches. Too feminize or not to feminize? I am also waiting on a heat mat to come in the post as the house is still a touch on the chilly side.

Soak

#9 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 14,332 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 April 2018 - 10:49 PM

I never believed in topping until this last year. I let the plants get 8 branches, and then I top everything. When everything grows in, I top everything one last time. At that point, you can let them veg for as long as you like, but in a tent, once they recover and even out, throw them into flower. It makes for a much easier to handle plant.

#10 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,322 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:17 AM

Alright, I've set the "Best" seed to soak. I'm still on the fence about the other two batches. Too feminize or not to feminize? I am also waiting on a heat mat to come in the post as the house is still a touch on the chilly side.

I have not popped any seeds yet, i started with a few clones and in very new at this but with a little understanding of dna and genetics, i had a hard time understanding how adding STS for example can force the seed to pop a female.

Never though much about it but I remember reading it somewhere that it doesn't exactly create a female plant but if the seed pops a male, it will grow female flowers. Not sure if that is accurate or not but after reading that, the process of feminizing seeds made so much more sense to me. Were not creating females but instead mutating the DNA to grow female flowers.

Now again i dont know if this accurate or not but if it is, i do not like that at all if i were cloning and trying to fine the best phenotypes. Lets say i find that special phenotype(s), i believe there is a chance that it could revert back to male or even hermi loosing thus loosing the genetics that one had.

Sure if you play the numbers game you only need to keep one going and producing female flowers but it is still very risky IMO. I believe a hermi wont only yield less but could pollinate the other female flowers......please correct me if im wrong.

I would pop seeds and then sex them and i would have thought it is fairly probable at least 10% would pop females and maybe my buddy has some really bad luck but he popped 12 seeds of fairly new strain not available to the masses yet, but all 12 popped male. I would have puked as these seeds cost 500.00 for the pack.

Im curious to get some feedback on feminization also. There are some very skilled and knowledgeable growers here. Much better then lets say GC or THCF and so on because of all the shit you have to dig through and misinformation being communicated. Because there are few here , the information carries its weight in gold.....or should i say BUDS

#11 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,322 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2018 - 02:27 PM

I never believed in topping until this last year. I let the plants get 8 branches, and then I top everything. When everything grows in, I top everything one last time. At that point, you can let them veg for as long as you like, but in a tent, once they recover and even out, throw them into flower. It makes for a much easier to handle plant.

I attempted the fimming for the first time today. Some of my plants are weird and are pushing out 2 shoots extending out from the few nodes without any topping at all. I forget what this is called, i think there is name for that phenotype.

Instead of LST im thinking i will top to get 2 new shoots, them fim those and get 8 tops. I think that will be perfect for my 3 gallin pots.....might be to many, maybe I need to keep it to around 6.

#12 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 14,332 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:40 PM

Keep in mind, that plants will grow anywhere from 11/2-3 feet in flower, so adjust your veg time accordingly also. Sativa's indoors are just a nightmare unless you have 14 foot ceilings lol. I did an OG Kush in one room that was a nightmare because I super cropped all of them at 5 feet, down to two feet and they still grew 4 feet above the trellises. That was after topping the shit out of them too.

• TheObserver likes this

#13 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,322 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:32 AM

Keep in mind, that plants will grow anywhere from 11/2-3 feet in flower, so adjust your veg time accordingly also. Sativa's indoors are just a nightmare unless you have 14 foot ceilings lol. I did an OG Kush in one room that was a nightmare because I super cropped all of them at 5 feet, down to two feet and they still grew 4 feet above the trellises. That was after topping the shit out of them too.

The grape god strain im rumning doesn't stretch much. Mayne 6" tops after flipping. What I did discover is also stretches beyond the typical 2 weeks and usually by the end of the 3rd week I no longer habe to periodically have to raise my temp and humidity probes. The lights stay at the top of the tent, i stopped keeping them the 16" away from the canopy and raise them as the plants grew because my first run i seen mayne 2" of additional plant height during stretch.

I can veg for 6 weeks easily and still keep them a safe distance from my lights. In addition to the genetics of the plant, I run 4 led panels in a single 2x4 tent. After scouring the internet it isn't uncommon for this strain to stretch only 6".

The method in which i will attempt to flower a sativa in a 5' tent will certainly leave me with a stressed plant with crappy yields but im looking for my medicine, my wife loves that heavy indica buzz and i only need several grams so if i can pull 25% per what the plant would typically yield, that will be more then enough for myself.

Im thinking i could flip early and spiral it around a short tomatoe cage and keep hacking the shit out of as it grows while not messing with many of the lower flower sites and when its done stretching i essiently cut the plant back to the lower 6 or so nodes. This will cause her to flip her shit i know but im hoping I will have enough lower bud sites that will now receive all the light energy and at least allowing me to pull something.....maybe. If it doesnt work well i know not to do it again.

#14 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 14,332 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 April 2018 - 09:12 AM

I actually cut some plants in half a few years back because I couldnt raise the light anymore in a tent. I am so glad to not have to worry about height now.

• TheObserver and Microbe like this

#15 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,322 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 April 2018 - 01:43 PM

I actually cut some plants in half a few years back because I couldnt raise the light anymore in a tent. I am so glad to not have to worry about height now.

I qouted your post over in my grow thread. Not sure if you seen it yet but please stop by and check it out.

https://mycotopia.ne...-with-God-Berry

Edited by Microbe, 14 April 2018 - 01:43 PM.

#16 425nm

425nm

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 396 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 12:08 AM

My seedlings are up as of two days ago (the picture was taken on the first day).

Seedlings!

Edited by 425nm, 19 April 2018 - 12:08 AM.

• onediadem likes this

#17 425nm

425nm

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 396 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 08:42 PM

Been suuuuper busy. Have taken photos just haven't had time to post photos. Things have warmed up and the plants are now living out in the greenhouse:
As of about a week ago:

IMG 20180422 174643
I just moved the seed trays out.
IMG 20180422 174638

Yesterday I re-potted all of 'The Best' (the mix is some garden soil [purchased to fill a planter I built], coir, horse manure, and some dolomite). My narrow greenhouse is quite cramped. I need to build more shelves so that I can repot all my peppers into troughs.
IMG 20180427 175955
All of the 'Blue Lagoon' are still in the seed tray and I sowed the 'BBMS' after a 24hr soak.

IMG 20180427 180015

I also managed to flip over one of my pots of San Pedro seedlings. Are tedious as replanting all twenty was they are thankfully tougher than the cannabis seedlings (two of which I lost to stems getting pinched somehow).

Garden season is upon me and I have so much potting mix to make and just as many seeds to start.

Edited by 425nm, 27 April 2018 - 08:43 PM.

#18 425nm

425nm

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 396 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 07:01 PM

Finally have all 46 plants bumped up to the same size pots. Still relatively small pots but at least they're out of the seed trays.

IMG 20180521 163002

I have been getting a bit of yellowing on the younger leaves. Not sure if that means I haven't been fertilizing enough or if they usually lose those first leaves. I've been giving them some 10-10-10 once a week or so plus some kelp fertilizer once a week as well (not on the same day). The greenhouse is pretty warm during the day, maybe 35C at its highest (not great I know. Been meaning to get another vent sorted).

IMG 20180520 190907
IMG 20180520 190911
IMG 20180521 163132

While I'm playing the am I feeding them enough game is the same thing happening with these tomatoes?

IMG 20180521 163818
IMG 20180521 163822

My other tomatoes seem to be doing fine but these ones appear to be having some trouble.

#19 Dipole

Dipole

Legalize Cannabis

• OG VIP
  • 3,228 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 June 2018 - 11:27 AM

You have one hell of a grow going.  I cannot tell if the color of your plants are dark green enough.  Other than a little stretch, they look good.  Does your green house keep the predators out?

#20 425nm

425nm

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 396 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 09:39 PM

@Dipole - Depends what you mean by predators? But for the most part no. Its not screened and pressurized like a professional hoop house or anything. It just serves to trap heat and slightly obscure its contents from street view.

I return finally to this thread with pictures! and maybe immature flowers?
First things first I've been bumping the plants up into slightly larger pots (I was given permission to pilfer some reasonably sturdy 2-ish gallon pots from the stash at work)

IMG 20180627 085320

IMG 20180627 133634

I've been fertilizing once a week with some 20-20-20

IMG 20180627 181119

I'm sure its not the best option but its what I got on hand. I've just been using the dilution recommended for container plants.

I also hit them with some kelp fertilizer once a week as well

IMG 20180627 181113

Tallest plants are around 50cm tall and some are starting to produce side shoots.

IMG 20180627 181049

Now onto the possibly sexing! The internet leads me to believe that you can look at your flower primordia and have a pretty damn good guess at what sex a plant is. Despite these plants only just hitting half a meter it looks like they got some flower primordia happening. However I have an untrained eye when it comes to Cannabis so y'all tell me.

IMG 20180627 173200
Female? (I've been tying a piece of string around those I think are females)
IMG 20180627 172759
Female?
IMG 20180627 181208
Male?
IMG 20180627 173210

Female?

I also seem to have a spider-friend guarding the plants

Spider friend

Once I'm certain I've sorted the females from the males I'm going to bump the females up into 7 gallon cloth pots (also once I get more potting mix).

In other garden related news I have two of these little Brugmansia (pretty sure) that I germinated from a seed pod I found hanging off a scraggly tree near my work.
AND
Dem peas

My peas have cleared the 9' fence I've been using as a trellis. Also the kiwi vine has wee immature kiwis.

• onediadem and Dipole like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!