#21 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,648 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 June 2018 - 09:49 PM

Cool thread. Your guesses on sex are bang on. wtg...

Did you pinch the tops? Sorry if you already mentioned. I always pinch the tops a couple of times to induce branching and multi-colas... To do that you just pinch the very inner nub of the the top growth and then it will split into 2. Personally I pinch the resulting tops but that's just preference. The top growth node puts out a chemical for the other branches to stay smaller , if you bend that top or pinch it then there is no slow-down signal given to the lower branches.

Anyhow looks awesome. Good luck.

Edited by hyphaenation, 27 June 2018 - 09:49 PM.

#22 425nm

425nm

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 445 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 09:59 PM

I haven't yet no. Like pinch as in just give it a squeeze or actually physically remove? I'm familiar with topping a plant to induce branching but I didn't think that a touch of mechanical damage to the apical meristem would do anything. I'll have a go when I'm back at the plants.

Excellent! I need to start sorting more thoroughly. Not all of them have flower primordia yet and a few are still small enough to ambiguous. I'll start turfing males.

Bottlebomber mentioned something in passing to me about shading the plants once they start to produce more substantial flowers? What's the dealio there? How much shade?

Thanks Hyp!

Edited by 425nm, 27 June 2018 - 09:59 PM.

#23 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,648 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 June 2018 - 10:30 PM

Yah , I mean nip it right off with scissors or fingers. 

Yah well if the plant is naturally showing female hairs already this early in summer that is a good sign that it can finish without depriving light from it. If you put a hoop frame over your plants you can cut off the light so they get 12 light 12 dark hours. This will kick almost any plant into deeper and deep flowering. All depends on what the genetics are. I find a lot of indoor strains don't finish very good in Canadian summers (unless you do the light dep flip). Hard to say as there are so many variables. 

#24 425nm

425nm

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 445 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 10:46 PM

Good to know! I'll start topping them.

I was hoping I could just move them to a shadier part of the yard that gets less direct light :P We'll see, if I can avoid setting up a shade that would be ideal.

I do have the strain names further up the thread. I've since lost track of which are which but the place I got them specialize in strains that do well in Northern latitudes (specifically Canada).
  • TheObserver likes this

#25 Dipole

Dipole

Legalize Cannabis

• OG VIP
  • 3,276 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 June 2018 - 11:30 PM

When the white hairs can be seen, the deal is sealed.

I would guess female, needs a few more days.

I would strongly recommend a high nutrient potting soil.

Fox Farm Ocean Forest is top notch for cannabis.

There is a slightly cheaper brand, EB Stone Recipe 420 Potting Soil too.

I use FFOF.  I have not used the 420 for cannabis.  I have some.

I have used it for other plants. 

It needs a little more perlite to look like FFOF.

FFOF is very similar to some mixes posted here by 

some best growers here in the past.

Cannabis is a nutrient hog.

Edited by Dipole, 27 June 2018 - 11:31 PM.

#26 425nm

425nm

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 445 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 12:25 PM

I have no doubt that is some top notch dirt but hot Daniel it is pricey (at least where I am). My contract ends tomorrow so I'm going to have to figure out something much cheaper. Very likely I'm going to fortify (probs throw some perlite and some sort of fert in there) some composted manure (mix of ground wood, manure, and yard waste) that I can get from a dairy farm/compost operation near me for $40 a yard. I need to finish raising a few beds so it will kill two birds with one stone.

I do appreciate the tip though. If it weren't nearly $100 for 42L I'd probably give it a whirl.
  • Dipole likes this

#27 425nm

425nm

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 445 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 12:55 AM

Alright, we're up to 11 for sure females and 10 for sure males out of 44 total. I snipped some of the males to use as interior foliage.
Bouquet
I may try to harvest some resin/oil/whathaveyou from the foliage of the males. Anyone have any fun suggestions?
I will probably keep a single male to flowering so that I can nab a bit of pollen to do a controlled fertilization of one/two flowers so I have seed for next year. Would a male make it to full flower in a sunny window? My yard sin't very big and I'm concerned that leaving them anywhere near by could result in accidental pollination of the entire crop.
IMG 20180629 170515

I have several what I think are males that look like this. I hesitate to proclaim male with absolute certainty.

#28 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,444 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 June 2018 - 08:11 AM

Re: nabbing pollen. 

Yes, light from a window is enough for a male to produce pollen. They will behave like a house plant without problems. 

Re: resin harvesting from males - suggestions.

I've done microscopy on male plants and they do seem to have trichomes - but they're the "hairy" type as opposed to the "buttons" or "mushroom-shaped" trichomes. 

May I suggest storing the freshly harvested plant in the freezer - immediately after harvest. Bubble bags would be a good way to isolate the trichomes from the plant material. 

That, or you might to a whole-plant extraction into alcohol tincture. I like the whole plant tinctures myself. They turn out like the black goo from cactus extractions - bitter but potent. 

Edited by Myc, 30 June 2018 - 08:12 AM.

#29 425nm

425nm

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 445 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 04:57 PM

Okay so, I actually got all of the plants sexed out and topped like a month ago. In total I got 25 females and 23 males. Just about a 50/50 split. I gave a friend six females that I just did not have room for (I have a narrow stretch of yard that is obscured from view) which leaves me with 19 females.

One male is being held in the house. Hopefully it will  be able to flower with the minimal amount of light that makes it to our windows in summer. The rest of the males having been serving as some aesthetic foliage in the living room.

IMG 20180629 190747

Just about all of the females were moved into 7 gallon cloth pots (with the exception of four that I put in hard plastic nursery pots when I ran out of cloth). I've purchased several yards of twice screened compost (mix of chipped yard waste from landscapers and dairy manure all cured in a specially aerated setup) this season for the raised beds.Since I had a bunch of it on had and it was very cheap that is what I've been using for potting. However on bumping the plants up to larger pots I did mix in some dry organic fertilizer (from what I recall: a mix of kelp meal, bone meal, soya meal, a few different mineral derived nutrients) plus perlite or pumice (once I ran out of perlite). I continued to give them a balanced 20-20-20 once a week as well as a hit of some kelp fertilizer once a week.

That brings us up to now:

IMG 20180720 161419

IMG 20180720 161425

Everyone is lovely and bushy. I've had to tie back several of the bigger plants so they don't poke out into the street's line of sight. I've also deployed a tomato screen which if you're looking at head on is laughable but it does provide decoy foliage for anyone walking by who might see a leaflet out of the corner of their eye.

I'm getting seven and five bladed leaves. Bottlebomber was telling me in chat that once you plants drop their leaflet count its time to switch your nutrients to flower nutrients so yesterday I hit everyone with some Westcoast Blooms 3N-10P-12K (Fish emulsion, humic, phosphric acid, potassium, sulphate of potash and plant extracts. Thankfully it smells of tea tree oil and not fish emulsion). Should I continue with my once a week fertilization?

In other garden news my Brugmansia have flowered:

IMG 20180720 163248

IMG 20180722 124816

and some of my tomatoes are starting to ripen

IMG 20180722 131645

#30 425nm

425nm

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 445 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:00 PM

CALAMITY!
Well best case scenario calamity. My landlords found the plants because the one and only possible reason they'd ever have for going into the yard occurres. Thankfully they're nice people and just told me to disperse them down to four plants.

So we're going from 18 to 4 :/ I think I know enough folks with green thumbs that they won't just get composted.
  • Myc likes this

#31 425nm

425nm

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 445 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 06:05 PM

Well I'm now down to just four plants at the house:

IMG 20180729 162942

IMG 20180730 133314

All the others have been dispersed to friends houses as per my landlords request. Eight of them are very close at hand (a few blocks away) so I can check on them. So I suppose now I grow the four that I have as big as I can possibly manage which will no doubt be helped by being able to space them out as much as possible.

I think I may have been a bit premature in giving them flowering nutrients. Sunrise is currently around 5:45am and sunset at 8:53pm so we're getting about 15 hours of daylight total. Looking at sunrise/set tables on the internet it doesn't look like I'll be getting 12 hours darkness until towards the end of August. I've switched back to fertilizing with tomato ferts once a week plus kelp once a week.

Sticking with my pattern of ending posts with non-cannabis related photos. Here's a few of my Brugmansia I took last night while blasted out of my mind on 3g of my most recent 'Malabar' grow. The flowers look much nicer and are open wider at night. That plus the white colouration leads me to believe that they are moth pollinated?

#32 425nm

425nm

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 445 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 02:24 PM

I see how I forgot the pictures of the Brugmansia:

IMG 20180730 000455

IMG 20180730 000447

Bonus bug picture:

IMG 20180801 110727

• Myc and coorsmikey like this

#33 425nm

425nm

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 445 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 08:48 PM

Spider mite management recommendations go!

Just got back after four days away. It appears my roommate kept all the plants alive however the spider mite population in the garden has exploded. Including some spider mite damage on the ganja. It's mostly on the lower half of the plants and they don't seem as numerous. My watermelon vine, beans, and cucumbers have been hit much harder. I just spent an hour and a half spraying all he effected plants with insectacidal soap.

In the process I did observe some small black beetles which looked like Delphastus sp. (which are whitefly predators) so here's hoping they're preying on the mites.

It'd be great if I could get my hands on some Phytoseiulus persimilis mites but shipping on live things is often costs as much as the critters themselves.

I am open to other suggestions.

#34 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,108 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:12 PM

By the looks of it, if you wanted to, you could ALWAYS grow THE BEST reefer!

#35 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,108 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:21 PM

I hate those bastards!! They are a real pain... You can spend a lot of time battling those suckers... neem oil solution the leaves, you have to stay up on it though religiously... That in conjunction with ladybugs or other predatory insect will knock them down a peg or two but in my experience they are still a pain in the ass to get rid of... Typically, my goal would be to keep them under control until everything can be harvested so I could then clear the room and fog it.

PJ   :biggrin:

#36 425nm

425nm

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 445 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:38 PM

Since ladybird beetles came up both here and in chat I would caution folks against purchasing lady beetles. At least your classic red/black/white lady beetles. Most of those sold to consumers are wild caught in unregulated/unsupervised numbers. Plus there are better predators out there.

Lacewings are great if you can get them as are Delphastus pusillus and Stethorus punctillum (both of which are actually ladybirds but happen to look very different).

Various predatory mites are also very good.

Of course it is a matter of actually tracking down the various critters. It's worth a Google at the least. Somewhere near you might carry alternatives.

I'm going to go on a quest for neem oil tomorrow. I actually can't buy it for horticultural purposes where I am so I'm going to have to find a new age-y grocery store or an Indian grocery store. I really hope the latter has it as the former will be far too expensive.

Control is probably all I can hope for. Spraying is so much work D:

Edited by 425nm, 06 August 2018 - 09:40 PM.

#37 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,108 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:53 PM

I did not realize they were wild caught... Good to know! Thank you!

PJ  :biggrin:

#38 Phungivore

Phungivore

ɹǝuoɟ ƃuıʞɔnʇs

• OG VIP
  • 674 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:20 PM

most are under the impression that ladybug adults will eat other bugs they do, but not with the voracity of the younger larval lady bugs do. so if you can get them to hang around long enough to get them to reproduce, then you stand a chance to get the larva that eat other bugs like no ones bizz

• 425nm likes this

#39 425nm

425nm

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 445 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 02:33 PM

The ladybird larvae are voracious little buggers and adorable. The trouble is convincing the adults to lay eggs before they fly off and the sugar trick can work. However the various mites can't fly off. Neoseiulus fallacis is native to North America and in some parts can even over winter. Where as Phytoseiulus persimilis prefers warm and humid (do great in growrooms) and don't deal with cold well.

Thus far I've simply been spraying with a mix of insectacidal soap (sold as insectacidal, dish soap can work but isn't as reliable), isopropanol, and been oil. Going to do a two days on and two days off spraying for a week or two.

#40 Phungivore

Phungivore

ɹǝuoɟ ƃuıʞɔnʇs

• OG VIP
  • 674 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 06:39 PM

The ladybird larvae are voracious little buggers and adorable. The trouble is convincing the adults to lay eggs before they fly off and the sugar trick can work. However the various mites can't fly off. Neoseiulus fallacis is native to North America and in some parts can even over winter. Where as Phytoseiulus persimilis prefers warm and humid (do great in growrooms) and don't deal with cold well.

Thus far I've simply been spraying with a mix of insectacidal soap (sold as insectacidal, dish soap can work but isn't as reliable), isopropanol, and been oil. Going to do a two days on and two days off spraying for a week or two.

exactly.

one buddy of mine liked to use soy based criscoe as horticuylturaL oil, with coco wet as wetting agent, was told only thing he said could be uused up till day of harvest. no experince at useing this myself, so rember there is a insecticidal product called soyonara , so my assumption is the criscoe and coco wet is diy version of soyonara

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!