• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#81 425nm

425nm

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 396 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 04:59 PM

I ended up trying both the dry sift and the water extraction our of curiosity. It was very apparent why the water extraction is more efficient. Even the most diligent dry sift leaves quite a lot of trichomes still attached to plant material.

The problem I ran into with the water extraction however is that water does not like silk screen. I tried just setting my framed screens on top of the bucket and the water rolled right off. So I ended up setting some loose in the bottom but it didn't work all that well so I settled for just straining out all of chunks with a fine metal collander and pouring the water through coffee filters. Initially I let the kief dry on the filters which pretty much cement it in place so I ended up dissolving it off with some isopropyl alcohol which I let evaporate off in a Pyrex dish. Then I scrapped it all up sandwiched it in parment paper and pressed/rolled it out with a wine bottle full of hot water. Got a cute set of little hash balls. I'll post a picture when I get home.

Still have a bag of trim in the freezer that I missed to process. Alas, how I wish I had a nice set of stackable screens.

#82 phlegmbae

phlegmbae

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 273 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 05:54 PM

Don't leave your trim in the freezer too long. Because any more than a couple of hours will cause you to get more contaminants in your finished product. IOW. Don't store dried trim in the freezer. I don't know much about fresh frozen. I've used it, but the product is just ridiculous to handle, and work with.

#83 425nm

425nm

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 396 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 11:48 PM

Don't leave your trim in the freezer too long. Because any more than a couple of hours will cause you to get more contaminants in your finished product. IOW. Don't store dried trim in the freezer. I don't know much about fresh frozen. I've used it, but the product is just ridiculous to handle, and work with.

IOW?

IMG 20181106 204039

My tiny hash balls. Biggest one is from the water extraction.

#84 phlegmbae

phlegmbae

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 273 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 01:34 AM

Nice. Something you need to keep in mind about hash though. You get a tolerance very quickly. I like it occasionally as a treat. So blaze that shit up, or it'll turn to mush from mold unless you dried the kief out completely before pressing.

#85 425nm

425nm

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 396 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 02:27 AM

Nice. Something you need to keep in mind about hash though. You get a tolerance very quickly. I like it occasionally as a treat. So blaze that shit up, or it'll turn to mush from mold unless you dried the kief out completely before pressing.

Well my tolerance is very very low at the moment so first order concern is not getting too stoned by accident :P
It was very dry when I pressed it but I'll watch for mold just in case. Thanks for the advice : )

#86 425nm

425nm

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 396 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 09:07 PM

IMG 20181108 165919

Chipped all my stalks, pasteurized them and spawned some oyster spawn too them mixed with some sawdust.

• phlegmbae likes this

#87 phlegmbae

phlegmbae

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 273 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 05:19 PM

Atta boy!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!