10 replies to this topic

#1 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 618 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2018 - 05:16 PM

Microdosing (MD) is is an interesting topic. It involves use of an inherently safe, non-addicting drug with considerable therapeutic benefit. These qualities appear to exist even at spiritual or even 'heroic' doses. MD takes the dose down yet another factor of ten to give either unperceptible or minimially perceptible effects.

I want to discuss on this thread the selection and storage of the dried product for microdosing. As a newcomer, I cannot offer much on this but would like insight on these aspects.

There is considerable variation in the effects of different 'strains' of the cubensis species and among the different species of psilocybe mushrooms (Pans, etc. - don't know much about). Here is an old thread which demonstrates the variety of opinion and experience with regular doses

https://mycotopia.ne...strongest-cube/

But with the different effects, which are wide spread, one would certainly want to choose the strain or species that gives the desired and subtle cognitive effect. For instance, some have been described as per the above thread and elsewhere (in larger doses) as giving a sort of euphoric effect like perhaps with alcohol while some have been described as sharpening creativity and awareness.  Do you have thoughts on making the strain or species selection for MD? Perhaps there is individual variation in such a choice. But this would seem to be the distinction between either nothing, a mild buzz or a sharpening / calming of the mind, all radically different 'effects'. One would think that the choice here is more critical than for general use of larger doses.

The other consideration IMO for MD is storage of the dried product. We know there is degradation of product with time. Let's say one selects and cultivates a product yielding the desired effects for MD. A monotub might yield, say 100 gm of dried with good yield (?).

This would provide between 200 and 400 MD's.

Take daily vs alternate days, this could be up to 2 years of MD medication. What would you propose as a storage mechanism for this quantity? Looking at this as a technical challenge, you don't want to be taking a placebo in a year with a degraded product that once worked well for you. And yet you don't want to have to continually be in production mode with variable yield, potency and effect profile.

So how would you store a good batch for MD? Or perhaps a better question is what is the best storage technique in general for, say, one year or more? Capsuled material might degrade with time due to storage in a dispersed manner but perhaps could be vacuum sealed and frozen. Extraction might have its benefits but has the issue of yield and, again, degradation as well as the lack of an established standard for extraction. I'm wondering about drying, pulverizing, then immediate storage in oil followed by vacuum seal and refrigeration?

• PoppaCap likes this

#2 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 618 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2018 - 12:16 PM

Speaking of the characteristics of the MD product, what qualities do you want to see or have you observed to be the best. Perhaps what quality of the 'larger' dose (3+ gm) would characterize a good strain for microdosing. These qualities would seem to be much more important for MD, given the subtlety of what one is trying to achieve with MD.

I received a comment from a member who noted that aborts from his last flush provided a much more 'calming' effect than the fruit from the first flush.

We have heard that aborts might be more potent. Can anyone comment on the quality or character of aborts vs the mature fruit, in general, not limited to MD?

Edited by raymycoto, 23 April 2018 - 12:20 PM.

#3 Turdly81

Turdly81

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 346 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 10:55 AM

Well damn. I was hoping this thread would have replied. Lol
  • DanceOfBliss likes this

#4 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,054 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2018 - 01:15 PM

Just speculation  .......Let's say  if you had  a  quantity of  dry mushrooms  intended for Micro Dosing .

I would think doing an extract with lets say Ever Clear , Then reducing the extract  , you would have a  homogenized consistent medicine you could determine a dose in CC . This medicine could be stored in a sealed bottle, like insulin comes in with a SHIP . One could  store the bottle of medicine intended for Micro Dosing in a freezer or fridge. Let's say  your  daily dose is a cpl CC , amount  depending on your MD  and one could just squirted dose under tongue , lets say once day , 5 days on  2 days off .  

This could  be a discreet  way to have long term storage of a consistent Micro Dose .

Edited by bezevo, 12 November 2018 - 01:56 PM.

• Cuboid likes this

#5 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 8,022 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2018 - 01:53 PM

The issue with using alcohol extraction is that its so selective I feel that one looses many benefits in the MD environment. The same compounds that exist in the whole mushroom that we want to eliminate for large doses due the undesired effects, are very important for the small quantities we take for microdosing. I say this from experiences of both ways. Purely anecdotal on my experience, but definitely something to consider.  

Since this very good subject for a thread was bumped, to touch base on the OP's topic. Just as different strains give you slightly different trips, different strain do effect microdosing differently also as would an alcohol extract versus whole fruit bodies. I'm not sold on the the difference from aborts vs mature fruits though as personally I don't see any noticeable difference. 

We all seek the help that microdosing offers for our own reason and our own unique situations. I do believe that everyone that considering microdosing needs to spend some time doing research, but experimenting on their own to find what strain, dosage, intervals and what time of day to find what is most effective for themselves. For example, I read so many recommendations of taking your MD in the morning. I prefer evenings myself. I feel the best healing for me is happening when I rest. I also believe that as the program helps us along whatever path of healing and neurological rewiring that is happening, that dosage amounts and days on/off need  to be adjusted along the way. 

• raymycoto likes this

#6 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 618 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2018 - 03:35 PM

Good discussion. As above, extraction may leave behind some important compounds that we may or may not have recognized yet. And I guess we don't have any authoritative way to say that extracted compounds are more stable than the dried fruit. Oxygen, temperature, moisture and light are known or rumored to degrade potency.

So, I guess, adding scavengers for moisture (silica) and oxygen (salted iron powder) while keeping cool in the dark would be recommended. Proper drying of the fruit followed by a vacuum seal would seem to take care of water and oxygen.

• Cuboid likes this

#7 Mjh907

Mjh907

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 04:45 AM

Yes.. we need more facts about storage, I like the idea of oil and another one about baked espin salt as a drying agent.

I think there's so many variation not only with mushroom strains but also growing styles that could effect us,not mention us people we are all so unique..

I have hope and will be trying what i can and sharing my experience

#8 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,567 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 November 2018 - 03:56 PM

Just want to note, you don't want an O2 absorber and a dessicant in the same container.

Packing in capsules, vacuum packing large quantities is all you really need. Add a dessicant if you want.

I've seen powdered mushrooms in a tin last for 10 years with no noticeable loss of potency.
  • raymycoto and DanceOfBliss like this

#9 TriedNTrue

TriedNTrue

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 04:27 PM

Hi. Noob question.

With the issue of storing, I thought you could just freeze it and use it when you need to.

Does freezing not work?

#10 TriedNTrue

TriedNTrue

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 04:45 PM

My plan is to dry them. Vacuum seal, then put in freezer. I’ll probably store them in small 2-5g batches.

But I’m hoping this will keep them for as long as I need.
  • Cuboid likes this

#11 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 770 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 04:47 PM

My plan is to dry them. Vacuum seal, then put in freezer. I’ll probably store them in small 2-5g batches.

But I’m hoping this will keep them for as long as I need.

Sounds like a good plan to me :)

• TriedNTrue likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!