• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 03:25 PM

Hey everyone, hope you don't mind another grow log. Thought it better to have one thread for all my noobie questions and possible mishaps.

Here we go...

Heres a pic of the seeds I have.

IMG_3729.JPG

Im still figuring out how many seeds to plant and where. I have 3 4" terra cotta pots and 2 Jiffy mini greenhouses.

I will be bagging the 4" pots. All will be on a heat mat next to a well lit window. Possibly a T5 if the window isn't enough.

I was thinking the 10 v.Big Bend to a 4" pot.

Then 75 of v.Texana and v.El Oso to two mini greenhouse trays.

This is what the greenhouse thing looks like. They're about 3.5" / 10.5".
IMG_3211.jpg IMG_3212.jpg

The remaining 25 of each variety to a 4" pot of their own. Is that too many for that size pot?

Im hoping seeds sown in the pots can remain in there for a couple years or more. The seeds in the trays will be transplanted or used for grafts at the appropriate time.

You guys are the best! Thanks in advanced.

A

Edited by adrian118, 14 April 2018 - 04:06 PM.

• Skywatcher and wharfrat like this

#2 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 April 2018 - 05:18 PM

This will be fun to watch, thanks.

• adrian118 likes this

#3 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,811 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 April 2018 - 05:25 PM

Very nice Adrian

Yotes don't seem to mind crowding. If you want to separate them to thin the density at a later date, you can scoop the root and all the soil with a small spoon. This keeps from breaking fine roots close to the globe. I have kept some that were virtually touching as one group. As they grew they just pushed to the open side.

You have plenty of time to decide. Try not to wait until the roots are really tangled. (over a year)

When they are newly sprouted, they actually IMO seem to do better a bit crowded for a while,

Edited by Skywatcher, 14 April 2018 - 05:25 PM.

• Spooner and adrian118 like this

#4 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 04:05 PM

Ok, so busy weekend.

Got my soils prepped and and seeds sown.

I did two slightly different soil mixtures, one being 90% mineral and other closer to 50%. I started off trying to be exact but then got a bit loose with it all towards the end. Kinda eyeballing the mixes and using the accumulated info I had been gathering from all you to finish them off. Also, I had eaten about 1 gram of psilocybin about midway thought the process which was starting to make things a bit interesting.

And here are the pics...

Soil:

Red lava rock, crushed because pieces were huge.

IMG_3738.JPG

River stones

IMG_3740.JPG

Pumice

IMG_3741.JPG

Horticulture sand

IMG_3742.JPG

Oyster shell +-10%

IMG_3743.JPG

Charcoal +-5%

IMG_3747.JPG IMG_3750.JPG

Soil mixes before bake

IMG_3751.JPG IMG_3752.JPG

Potting:

Red lava rock for drainage

IMG_3753.JPG

Mostly mineral soil

IMG_3754.JPG

Sprinkling of organic mix on top followed by sand layer then soaked and drained

IMG_3755.JPG IMG_3756.JPG

Then seeds. 10 of each to the terra cottas

IMG_3758.JPG IMG_3759.JPG IMG_3760.JPG

Misted and placed in heated propagator with T5

IMG_3762.JPG

Remaining seed went into the richer organic mix in mini greenhouse trays and are placed on heat mat

IMG_3763.JPG

Edited by adrian118, 17 April 2018 - 05:37 PM.

• Skywatcher, Spooner and wharfrat like this

#5 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:57 PM

First sprout!

IMG_3776.JPG IMG_3775.JPG IMG_3774.JPG

• Spooner and stoogie like this

#6 stoogie

stoogie

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 12:59 PM

Nice work. How often are you misting the seeds? Have you thought about trying the ‘baggie’ method?
  • adrian118 likes this

#7 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 09:28 PM

Hey Stoogie, I'm misting at least once a day. Usually in the AM jus before the lights and heat go on for the day, then sometimes I mist again in the evening. The substate almost 100% mineral and not holding much moisture so I worry about burning them.

My original plan was to use 'baggie' tek but I chose not to at the last minute. Idk,  something about managing the bags during misting and whatever, might have gotten a bit OCD about it. Feel like I will have more control without the bags... what do I know. I do want to try it some time.

And here's a log update.

Lots of sprouts so far of Texana and so far about 4 of the Big Bends but only a single sprout so far of El Oso.

Checks the pics!

IMG_3788.JPG IMG_3789.JPG

The sprouts in the big dome are looking good, maybe a tad bit too much light judging by the color. I have a few other loph seedlings in there that are a bit red too but they seem fine.

Looking at ways to diffuse the light a touch. Open to suggestions!

IMG_3787.JPG IMG_3786.JPG IMG_3785.JPG

The sprouts on my second row are showing signs that they're not receiving enough light. The light from the window is not enough (they are in the window sill in the pics for show but are not living there, this would probably be enough light here!).  I bought an LED light bar and have it set up now. Hoping this will work, not sure. If not Ill get a T5 for them but the LED was so much cheaper.

Edited by adrian118, 23 April 2018 - 11:03 PM.

• Skywatcher and wharfrat like this

#8 stoogie

stoogie

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 01:47 PM

Nice, looks good thanks for the update. I’ve started a few seeds in Petri dishes and found it worked well having the control to be able to mist them. I’ve started a new set of baggie method seedlings that I had on a heat mat and then transferred into my propagator. Logic being to try and get a first wave with one set of conditions and then trigger and another wave when slightly warmer and brighter... will see how it goes
  • Skywatcher and adrian118 like this

#9 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 10:06 PM

Hey Stoogie, how's the petri dish method goin? I think I remember reading a thread on that, may have been yours. Are they just lying in sand with heat or something?Love your idea of trying to different methods of triggering germination on a single batch, very cool! 

As of now, not seeing signs that these light deprived seedlings are thriving yet with this LED thing. Although its only been a few days,  a few of them have now toppled over and rather than watch them struggle Ive gone and ordered another propagator setup. Better safe than sorry.

Will update this weekend when its set up or if this LED ends up coming through. sigh.

On another  note... the El Oso's seem to like to wait a while to sprout... only two so far have come to life. Interesting to watch each variety do its own thing.  Texana is definitely the way to go for germination so far.

Edited by adrian118, 26 April 2018 - 10:07 PM.

#10 stoogie

stoogie

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 03:30 PM

Petri dish is going well thanks, it’s just a small amount of sand with seeds that I can mist and a glass lid. It might just be me but I think that being able to provide a fluctuation in humidity might encourage them a bit. I’ll need to transplant them soon though as obviously not much space.

I had a good result with the texana’s too. Going to get a few more pots sown up tomorrow. I’m going to have quite a few cacti to find a space for next year as this lot of seeds seem to be doing a lot better. I had left the last batch over winter and they didn’t fare so well. I’m also doing ariocarpus and blossfeldia plus a few others. The loohs are growing at quite a fast rate to be honest!!

I’m looking forward to doing some grafting. Definitely recommend this if you’ve not experimented with this before.
  • adrian118 likes this

#11 stoogie

stoogie

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 03:44 PM

Petri dish is going well thanks, it’s just a small amount of sand with seeds that I can mist and a glass lid. It might just be me but I think that being able to provide a fluctuation in humidity might encourage them a bit. I’ll need to transplant them soon though as obviously not much space.

I had a good result with the texana’s too. Going to get a few more pots sown up tomorrow.
  • Spooner and adrian118 like this

#12 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 08:33 PM

New digs! This should be enough light for all these lil dudes. Love this set up personally.

Used a bit of Skywatcher tek by adding a layer of stones to the main tray in order to elevate the seeding pots allowing me to water only the base to maintain a high humidity in the dome. Thanks Skye!

IMG_3798.JPG IMG_3797.JPG

• wharfrat likes this

#13 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 01:05 PM

Is this rot?

There was a small piece of soil leaning against it right there. They're about 6 weeks old.

IMG_3809.JPG IMG_3810.JPG

Edited by adrian118, 30 April 2018 - 01:13 PM.

#14 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 April 2018 - 01:19 PM

Yeah, and there seems to be a lot of algae growing on the soil.  I would cut down watering for a bit.  Perhaps let the soil completely dry out for a couple of days between waterings.  

Seedling is looking good otherwise, good color and  fine shape.  Congratulations!  It is still a child but no longer a baby, so it can thrive now with less coddling.  It took me awhile to learn to give my cacti enough neglect to allow them to develop naturally, without forcing them to put on weight every day.

Edited by Spooner, 30 April 2018 - 02:16 PM.

• adrian118 likes this

#15 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 01:50 PM

Thanks for the quick response Spooner!

The algae is definitely a lot. I have two pots which are like this. I believe it must be due to the dirt I added into this soil mixture, which was from my yard. Two other pots sown at the same time without this dirt are almost algae free. Maybe should have sterilized, but Ill probably jus not use the dirt again tbh. 

What to do with the seedling with rot tho. Will it recover if allowed to dry out a bit? To do this I'll ease back on the obviously too frequent misting. To be sure, they should remain in the humidity correct?

• Spooner likes this

#16 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 April 2018 - 02:27 PM

Thanks for the quick response Spooner!

The algae is definitely a lot. I have two pots which are like this. I believe it must be due to the dirt I added into this soil mixture, which was from my yard. Two other pots sown at the same time without this dirt are almost algae free. Maybe should have sterilized, but Ill probably jus not use the dirt again tbh. 

What to do with the seedling with rot tho. Will it recover if allowed to dry out a bit? To do this I'll ease back on the obviously too frequent misting. To be sure, they should remain in the humidity correct?

I would stop misting, and yes I would expect it to recover without further interventions.  Keep an eye on it but some less humidity and more natural drying out should be adequate.

The most important phase of high humidity is for complete germination of as many  seeds as possible.  Once a nice green seedling is growing, high humidity is no longer required, but it is not necessairly detrimental if there is no rot issue.

Edited by Spooner, 30 April 2018 - 02:29 PM.

• adrian118 likes this

#17 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 04:56 PM

OK thats perfect. I can use one dome as lower humidity space for the older sprouts and the second as the higher humidity space for the new guys.

Thank you for this info, I actually needed to figure out how to handle this situation already since I have some Bridgesii seedlings that are just a bit older than these at 2 months and need to bring them out of humidity as well. I think I was under the impression that the LWs liked 4-6 months of HIGH humidity / moisture.

Thanks again!

#18 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 April 2018 - 05:41 PM

I was under the impression that the LWs liked 4-6 months of HIGH humidity / moisture.

I probablly let my lazyness imply false info at some point.  I do often leave them bagged for several months to assure complete germination,but it is mostly lazyness.  Pretty sure most everything that will sprout is up within 3-4 weeks.

8-12 days sees the initial set of seedlings, and my use of baggs for up to 6  months is probably not optimum, but it has worked for me.

Edited by Spooner, 30 April 2018 - 06:21 PM.

• adrian118 likes this

#19 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 03:44 PM

Pics I took today.

IMG_3817.JPG

El Oso are finally coming up, very slowly tho.. can you see them lol?

IMG_3818.JPG

Texana 

IMG_3819.JPG

Older batch of Menchaca and Decipien

IMG_3820.JPG IMG_3821.JPG IMG_3822.JPG

• Skywatcher and Spooner like this

#20 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 02:25 PM

What up cacti friends!

Below are my Bridgesii seedlings, 2.5 months old now.

Ive started acclimating them to outside humidity by jus cracking the small vents in the dome a touch over the past two weeks. Have stopped misting for a while now too and have bottom watered them once or twice, letting them dry in between waterings. They're still under light/heat for 12 hours a day tho... 

Im wondering if or when i should stop using the heat mat/light set up?

Also, I haven't noticed very much growth for quite a while now and wondering if the growth looks appropriate for their age?

They look healthy to me, but what do i know.

One note of possible concern; reptile calcium sand was used as a topper, this is the yellow sand you see. Later learned that this was likely not a good choice. If that plays any roll in anything I'm unsure.

Any comment or suggestions for their care at this stage of life is appreciated greatly, thanks in advanced! 

IMG_3883.JPG IMG_3884.JPG

• Skywatcher likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!