#21 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 May 2018 - 05:50 PM

The light color and plumpness are common for babies.  I would expect a darker color to develope as they mature a bit, maybe after at least 7-8 months.  Over all they look very nice indeed.  Generally they seem to resemble grown plants after the first half year, and I consider mine out of baby phase by one year.  

As for the heat mat, I primarily use that for germiination or in winter when the room gets below 50f at night. The heat tends to accelerate the drying of the soil, so keep an eye on moisture as you leave the dome off more frequently.  My only problems arose when I left them for a week with the heat mat on, and of course Bridgesii come from a wetter mountain place than the desert cacti.

Please tell me about reptile calcium sand.  Never heard of it or it being a problem, but would like to know just incase.  Good job my friend, nice seedlings.

• coorsmikey and adrian118 like this

#22 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:39 PM

Thank you Spooner for the insight and reassurance.

Temps should remain above 50f as we head into summer here in southern cali. Is there anything to note in removing the heating mat, should I reduce it slowly or simply remove it?

The sand is sold as 'thermal terrain' calcium sand for reptile terrariums, it is, or should only be calcium carbonate. I think the concern is its being almost pure calcium carbonate as opposed to a sand comprised of minerals such as silica.

• Skywatcher and Spooner like this

#23 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:49 PM

I would not worry about going slowly as you remove the mat, southern California should be fine this time of year.

P.S. Thanks for sand explaination.

Edited by Spooner, 18 May 2018 - 10:51 PM.

#24 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:26 PM

Got an update here. Things are growing smoothly.

I do have a couple questions, BUT FIRST....

T.Bridgesii

IMG_4034.JPG

Menchaca, Decipien 

IMG_4035.JPG IMG_4036.JPG IMG_4037.JPG

Texana, El Oso & Big Bend

IMG_4038.JPG IMG_4039.JPG IMG_4040.JPG

So I have them all under the T5s for 12 hours a day. Youngest guys are still on a heat mat, but will be removing that any day now. Ive been letting them dry a bit before water. not as much as the older yotes above.

Question is, should I keep them with the same light/schedule or should I ween them off to a point where they can just use light from the window?

Also, the ones in the trays, Id like to repot them if i could. Bad idea?

Thanks guys!

• Skywatcher likes this

#25 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,813 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2018 - 08:18 AM

Looking really good Adrian.

I personally would leave the light alone, as the color and shape looks good on the seedlings.

I re-pot all the time, but remember that any really tight groups should be left together. They do fine with company in a pot. The best (IMO) way to do that is to prepare the pot they are going into with a good loph, sterilized soil. Use a spoon to take the desired seedlings, going deep enough to get all the root and surrounding soil. You then lift out the whole clump of soil with the seedlings, and place it in a pre hollowed, equivalent size hole in the new pot. Keep the soil levels the same. Then lightly water the new plug to settle it in and you are done.

• adrian118 likes this

#26 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 12:19 PM

Great! Thank you Skye. 

Im really happy with how these are looking. I do love having them together as well. Id like to get the few El Oso seedlings from the tray over in with the rest of its kind, but i think ill jus lets everything be for now.

• Skywatcher likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!