• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 RectalCement

RectalCement

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:23 AM

Hey guys, still new, still posting. What I really wanted to learn is how to make the best hydroponic system possible (both for myself and hopefully for others who are also starting out with 0 experience but a lot of interest like myself). Hopefully there are people out there who can help make a definitive guide to hydroponics so it doesn't take a billion sources and builds to decide what soil, nutrients, grow lights etc. are needed for a first timers first hydroponic build. I don't know if there's already a hydroponic build guide or whatever but I've been looking and its all so scattered and specific and ultimately, hopefully, with enough advice a complete guide for growing everything from poppies to cacti hydroponically can be made. Good idea or remotely possible? I don't know! I'm just hoping for the best honestly.
  • Spark, Sidestreet and coorsmikey like this

#2 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,980 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:11 AM

Welcome RectalCement. Interesting moniker.....Glad you've joined us! ;)

• coorsmikey and RectalCement like this

#3 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:39 AM

Welcome

#4 RectalCement

RectalCement

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:17 AM

Welcome RectalCement. Interesting moniker.....Glad you've joined us! ;)

Ya i know i just wanted something funny and original. Hope it fits in!
  • Myc likes this

#5 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,980 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:59 PM

And I was just looking for a fresh comment to a new member. 

After awhile, I get to feeling like I say the same thing over and over. It's fun to shake things up a bit. 

I certainly know a few assholes who might benefit from some rectal cement - or at least, those around them might benefit. 

#6 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,199 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:47 PM

with enough advice a complete guide for growing everything from poppies to cacti hydroponically can be made.

An intimidating but very worthy project!  It would take tremendous effort and expertise but it would be a boon to thousands.

#7 RectalCement

RectalCement

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:06 PM

with enough advice a complete guide for growing everything from poppies to cacti hydroponically can be made.

An intimidating but very worthy project!  It would take tremendous effort and expertise but it would be a boon to thousands.

Thank you! I've been trying to read up on what other people are saying about hydroponics, and from what I've read poppies are possible, but a hassle and maybe not as good as just growing outside, and cacti are just I don't even know. Anyways I've been told that poppies are just hard to grow anyways, but I'm doing a research project next year involving growing cacti (San Pedro probably!) hydroponically so I thought this might as well be practice now and see if I can actually help make a definitive guide for hydroponics for the beginner! Also I am a complete newbie, soooooooo maybe that complicates things,

Edited by RectalCement, 16 April 2018 - 10:08 PM.

#8 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 4,621 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:37 AM

An intimidating but very worthy project! It would take tremendous effort and expertise but it would be a boon to thousands.
I got ahead of myself and thought " well damn I learned to grow poppies and cacti ( oh and mushrooms) here". But had to hold back because I didn't learn hydroponics here. But I suppose a guide to show someone with zero experience how to do all those things would be much more confusing than trying to navigate a forum of likeminded folk that love to talk about all that. Awe but I'm person that doesn't read the instructions anyway unless it don't work.

Edited by coorsmikey, 17 April 2018 - 08:16 AM.

#9 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,199 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:43 AM

Wait, I'm confused.  It would be more confusing?  I'm not saying people should forego the experience of being here among like-minded folks.  I'm just saying that for a lot of people, book-lernin' can supercharge the ride up the learning curve.

#10 RectalCement

RectalCement

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:18 AM

Wait I am too. For me personally book learning was the only possibility and also it was a HUGE help in just getting me started. I also learn by doing but if I actually did it before I was ready it would fail spectacularly and I would basically just have to start over. It would be a little something like this (and I want to avoid this happening as much as possible no matter how much I feel like it definitely will happen):

[Direct Link]

#11 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,980 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:09 AM

I admire your enthusiasm. Hydroponics is interesting science. I'm just more of a "purist". Find me a cactus growing in a puddle in nature (or really any plant) and I'll show you a plant which will respond to hydroponics. I'm not saying that they don't exist - or that it's impossible to perform but I tend to copy/imitate/emulate nature wherever possible.

We all arrived with unbridled enthusiasm. The goal of the community is to help keep us new guys from wasting our time chasing dead-ends. 

• RectalCement likes this

#12 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,532 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:46 AM

There is no best system. But you can design a system that is best for you and your growing location and strain you want to grow. Some issues you have to address are: what size area do you have to work with? What are the normal temp and humidity levels in that area? Is it somewhere where odor will be a problem?

Edited by dead_diver, 17 April 2018 - 10:49 AM.

• RectalCement likes this

#13 RectalCement

RectalCement

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:08 PM

At this point, any growth would be great, even if its just a single poppy growing in a pot, but really anything that produces a viable and good yield. Space and odor won't be too much of a problem, especially if I just grow one, but I'd like a crop of 12 plants, I have some Tasmanian red seeds and China whites, but really any high morphine and high yield strain would be great, so any recommendations for vendors or variety? Temperature and humidity might be a problem, but I think I can start the seedlings under the right conditions from peat pellets then transfer to either a hydroponic system or just a pot. I've asked some gardeners and they said that poppies are really hard, and that they don't even flower their first year, sooooo I don't even know if growing them is possible! For the hydroponic system I have no clue anymore, but after reading Hydroponic Heroin I'm thinking a wick system with the plants in a cactus mix that has perlite, but really any low maintenance, simple as possible, and good yield system, I'm not picky. I've seen deep water systems and other stuff but I don't know poppies well enough to know what nutrient delivery, soil/substrate, or system set up is best for my needs, but it would have to be simple and worth it. Anyways thanks if you can help in any way possible, and I hope that we can come up with something viable.

#14 MeadMaker

MeadMaker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 96 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:36 PM

I'm curious whether anyone has tried mushrooms with a liquid base.  I know there are liquid mycelium cultures, but can you get fruiting?  What about using something like a perlite base with a liquid or slurry food replenishment? Can mycelium survive for long periods in the same medium if provided with fresh nutrients or will parts of it die off, decay, and create problems.  Does the mycelium create any waste product that would slowly build up and poison it?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!