#3 Rangley

Rangley

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 239 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:25 PM

Feel similar to fishing.
Do you eat the animals?

I eat most of my trapped animals besides coyote, and skunk. I harvest their fur, and feed that meat to my dogs. I run mostly snares, but I am just now beginning to look into non-lethal snares.

#4 Stoned Angel

Stoned Angel

aka dew drop daddy

• OG VIP
  • 1,993 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2018 - 03:27 PM

I think you have to be careful to not snare people's house pets. Sorry, imho, I think it's a cheap trick. Unless it's for a particular nuisance I would not trap animals. Especially because I may not find what I'm looking for.

• coorsmikey, Juthro and Rangley like this

#5 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,719 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2018 - 04:28 PM

I have been known to use a live trap for capturing potential pests that are causing harm to me or mine. That way if I get the neighbors cat, I can release it without any serious harm done. And I know how to set snares if the SHTF and we are in need of protein....

But other then that, no I am not a fan of trapping. It is too prone to catching and killing animals that your not looking for. That, and I get too much joy out of capturing all the furry little bastards with my camera....

I'm not knocking you for wanting to trap, but its not for me.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0200 (1.2).jpg

Edited by Juthro, 18 April 2018 - 04:31 PM.

• Stoned Angel and Rangley like this

#6 Rangley

Rangley

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 239 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:06 PM

I think you have to be careful to not snare people's house pets. Sorry, imho, I think it's a cheap trick. Unless it's for a particular nuisance I would not trap animals. Especially because I may not find what I'm looking for.

My work space is 600 miles of farm land, sorrounded by other farms. I would say the chance is non-existent, but shit happens. My next area of operation will hopefully be Alaska, and I will not be trapping around towns. I’m educating myself fast on the use of cages, and non-lethal traps.
  • Stoned Angel and Juthro like this

#7 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:14 PM

What is the point of a non lethal trap for animals that you skin and eat?

Or is it just a "sport" like fly fishing catch and release.

P.S. i assumed your trapping to be in a rural setting.  Only traps most city folks know is mouse traps.

Edited by Spooner, 18 April 2018 - 08:19 PM.

• Stoned Angel likes this

#8 Rangley

Rangley

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 239 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:44 PM

I should have been more thorough in my first post. It has been nearly a decade since I have trapped. Due to my military life, and traveling for my career. However I was raised the Appalachian way, and I grew up that way. Although the ways of the land do not change, the world does and so have I. Thankfully technology has as well, and older companies are changing their ways as well.

With the acquisition of a nice farm, and the blessing to work from home I can now get back to the ways that I know. Eating out every day in NYC was not for me. It has been a long time since I have put game or fish in the freezer. With my family talking about a move to Alaska I’m going to use this amazing opportunity to sharpen my rusty skills.

It’s been a few months since we moved onto the farm, and I have not rummaged through any of my grandfathers stuff. Last night I finally got around to digging his traps out, and setting up a fire to boil them. It was right about that time my wife walked out and asked what I was doing. You cannot play with fire around some women lol. We smoked by the fire and had a great conversation about the ethical, and morale way to harvest wildlife. We talked about how wildlife has to be looked at without the veil of society. Nothing in society dictates their day to day life.

Not that long ago human beings where a part of that food chain, and with modern society that changed. Where I live now we have a huge predator problem. Large enough for the DNR to email individual license holders about targeting several species year round. Our whitetail deer population is in a very fragile position that could hurt our entire state.

With that being said, I’m going to limit my snares to non-lethal snares. With sets, I can narrow down the size of animal I’m trying to capture, any smaller or larger will walk free. I’m also going to retire the leg-hold traps, and settle for cages. They will be harder to work with and harder to make natural in the landscape. I’ll make it work.
  • Stoned Angel, Juthro and Spooner like this

#9 Stoned Angel

Stoned Angel

aka dew drop daddy

• OG VIP
  • 1,993 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2018 - 07:34 AM

Thanks for sharing. What a great place to be, getting back to the land. That sounds like a wonderful move for your family. We're heading in the same direction. I'm surprised to hear that there is a over population of predator animals. It is so sad, as humans, what we are doing to these poor animals. I used to think I wanted to raise and kill my own food, but turns out I'd rather not eat meat. Thank you for putting down some of those old out dated methods of snares. Some of those are the saddest story's.

How long do they usually have to wait for you to get there?

Do you ever get whole family's? If you can tell it's a female, and she's nursing do you let her free?

• Spooner and Rangley like this

#10 Rangley

Rangley

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 239 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 11:26 AM

Thanks for sharing. What a great place to be, getting back to the land. That sounds like a wonderful move for your family. We're heading in the same direction. I'm surprised to hear that there is a over population of predator animals. It is so sad, as humans, what we are doing to these poor animals. I used to think I wanted to raise and kill my own food, but turns out I'd rather not eat meat. Thank you for putting down some of those old out dated methods of snares. Some of those are the saddest story's.
How long do they usually have to wait for you to get there?
Do you ever get whole family's? If you can tell it's a female, and she's nursing do you let her free?

With my normal work schedule my work days are a blur. When I’m home working on the farm days seem to last and memories tend to build. I had to change my life drastically, and fast. I strongly believe that with modern society, tthe push for the economy and capitalism it’s robbed families of truly living life. Don’t get me wrong I love capitalism but you can easily become a slave. If you’re heading in the same direction Im an open source for a lot of information when it comes to living the days of old.

The agriculture industry is the largest contributor to greenhouse gases. We have turned to pushing out the same meat, grains, vegetables and fruit in an industrial method. Which contributes to a degradation of what we are supposed to take from our food. When we raise our own meat, and other edibles we see that they live a happy healthy humane life. We take them in humane ways, and utilize every facet of the organism that we can. Human beings are the stewards of the land, that is all and we have lost that.

As far as the traps and snares go I cannot honestly tell you if I catch “entire” families. I know that in my old days of trapping I never caught a young animal. The snares are set up to only lock for a certain neck size. Allowing animals too small or too large to walk free. If we capture a pregnant female that is not injured we release her. I have never captured a nursing animal, besides an opossum. She was released with all 8 of her young ones in tow.

#11 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2018 - 12:06 PM

Opossums are very smart.

My friend had a possum that he carried on his head.

He told me that a possum is so smart that they can almost instantly train a human being, 

to take the possum off of the humans head and put the possum on the ground,

whenever the possum wants to pee or poop.

P,S. Thanks to Blossum the Possum and her pet natutalist Doug Elliott.

Edited by Spooner, 21 April 2018 - 06:55 PM.

• Stoned Angel, Juthro and Rangley like this

#12 Rangley

Rangley

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 239 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 02:03 PM

Opossums are very smart.
My friend had a possum that he carried on his head.
He told me that a possum is so smart that they can almost instantly train a human being, 
to take the possum off of the humans head and put the possum on the ground,
whenever the possum wants to pee or poop.

P,S. Thanks to Blossum the Possum and her pet natutalist Doug Elliott.

Opossums are one of the most hated mammals in the south. Yet they do so much for man kind! I have a Native American friend, and he keeps them as pets. Never has problems with any pests in his cabin lol. The only downside is they can be extremely aggressive, however that is usually just a brooding mother. Like most animals if left alone they won’t look twice st you.
  • Stoned Angel, Juthro and Spooner like this

#13 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,719 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2018 - 07:10 PM

No possums in Alaska :)

But you have to watch out for porcupines. They can give you a flat tire if you hit one...
  • Stoned Angel and Rangley like this

#14 Rangley

Rangley

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 239 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 04:54 AM

No possums in Alaska :)But you have to watch out for porcupines. They can give you a flat tire if you hit one...

Now that is nuts right there! I ran across one in upstate Ny while hiking, and I would not want to mess with them! Someone told me they were delicious. Do not know how true that is, but I never see myself eating one lol.
  • Juthro likes this

#15 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2018 - 12:21 PM

Aramidillos are oppossum on the half shell.

• Juthro likes this

#16 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,719 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2018 - 01:16 PM

I've never lived anywhere that had armadillo's.... I would like to see one IRL some day. Do you have them where your at now Spooner? Or are they just a reminder of your days in Texas?

And I agree with Rangley, smart people don't tease porcupine's. They are pretty slow, and easy to avoid really.
The biggest problem they cause (at least around these parts) is when they tangle with dogs that don't know enough to give them a wide berth.

That can add up to one very miserable dog, and a huge vet bill real quick.
  • Spooner likes this

#17 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 396 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2018 - 01:57 PM

word of caution don't handle armadillos  or  were gloves if your going to , they can carry he bacteria that causes leprosy  .

• Juthro likes this

#18 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,719 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:29 PM

That worthwhile info to know, cuz I don't want me no leprosy

#19 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2018 - 03:05 PM

Don't have or want armalillos or possums in my houseunless it is POGO.

BTW porcipine quills, died and woven make very pretty indian crafts.  Very cool stuff.

[Direct Link]

Dumb white follks thought they were in  india, only wrong by one half earth.

• Juthro likes this

#20 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,719 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2018 - 04:05 PM

Aww... POGO, and Porky Pine :) Hadn't thought about then in a while.

Kind of fitting of earth day Spoonman, but we are a little bit late aren't we?

post-136504-0-52914000-1524517537.jpg

Pogo-279x372.jpg

Edited by Juthro, 23 April 2018 - 04:07 PM.

• Spooner and Rangley like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!