26 replies to this topic

#21 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 12,939 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2018 - 07:31 PM

I have dequilled a couple of dogs in my time.  When this wolf hybrid I was taking care of did it, there was no way I was going to try it.   It went to the vet and got anesthetized for the job.   

post-131808-0-10176000-1524529870.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• porkypuncture.JPG

Edited by Alder Logs, 23 April 2018 - 07:32 PM.

• Stoned Angel, Juthro and Rangley like this

#22 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,939 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2018 - 07:38 PM

I have signs around my, and my neighbors' places (maybe a total of 60 acres in three properties), ten feet up the trees, every fifty feet or so that say:

NO

Hunting

Trapping

Trespassing

I still have the stencil I made for them.    I got a trapper pissed off at me because he thought he should have been grandfathered in, as no owner before me had ever said no.   That trapper was one of the most notorious of poachers in the county.   He was just a stone killer and I always wanted to be where he wasn't.

Edited by Alder Logs, 23 April 2018 - 07:42 PM.

• Stoned Angel and Rangley like this

#23 Rangley

Rangley

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 239 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 01:22 PM

That worthwhile info to know, cuz I don't want me no leprosy

Just had to quote this lmao! So funny! We do have armadillos here Bezevo but I have never trapped nor hunted them. It’s pretty well known about the leprosy down here. Ten years ago you would never see an armadillo in this state.
  • Juthro likes this

#24 Rangley

Rangley

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 239 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 01:24 PM

I have signs around my, and my neighbors' places (maybe a total of 60 acres in three properties), ten feet up the trees, every fifty feet or so that say:

NO

Hunting

Trapping

Trespassing

I still have the stencil I made for them.    I got a trapper pissed off at me because he thought he should have been grandfathered in, as no owner before me had ever said no.   That trapper was one of the most notorious of poachers in the county.   He was just a stone killer and I always wanted to be where he wasn't.

Like everything in life some human beings are just not taught the right thing to do. I only trap on my own property or if someone is having a nuisance problem, and they give me written permission to eradicate. Some people have no ethics
  • Juthro and Spooner like this

#25 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,943 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 April 2018 - 03:20 PM

That worthwhile info to know, cuz I don't want me no leprosy

Just had to quote this lmao! So funny! We do have armadillos here Bezevo but I have never trapped nor hunted them. It’s pretty well known about the leprosy down here. Ten years ago you would never see an armadillo in this state.

:) I was being a bit of a smart ass. (it happens sometimes...)

In reality, one must be careful when handling just about any wild game.
It's kind of like being in the singles circuit again, you've got to be careful and use protection, or you don't know what you might catch.

It's unfortunate that folks like Alder described have created a bad image for trappers/hunters everywhere. I don't begrudge anyone from living a more ancient subsistence style of life, as long as they are not cruel too, or wasteful of the bounty they harvest.

I respect those that practice hunting, and trapping respectfully. Though I should say that don't let anyone hunt/trap my property either.

#26 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,939 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 April 2018 - 03:54 PM

It might be true that I have come close to gnawing my arm off when I awoke and found it numb under a dangerous looking and very strange woman I didn't remember, but out in the world, I have deep feeling issues with leg-hold traps to be sure.   I went through my own hunting and trapping education as a young man, come to the great north woods from the Los Angeles burbs with a case of city boy ignorance.   I did it and learned it wasn't in my heart to continue.   My own experiences flipped me to where, with my neighbors, 45 of our acres are maintained as best we can as a wildlife sanctuary (and disc golf course).  We have humans and critters side by side.   It's really something for many of our golfers to play through browsing deer.  The elk have to have a larger range which takes them into harm's way, and so are quite shy.   I alone of these neighbors have stopped eating meat as well. 

I believe people and animals should be able to be familiar with each other, and at peace as such.  This is why we also try to keep our acreage dog-free.   The outdoors belongs to those animal beings who were here first, and from my perspective, don't deserve even to be made nervous.   There are the exceptions of the likes of raccoons, who don't know how to leave the garden to us, as we try to make a go of it here, so I have live trapped and transfered them.  Done the same with feral cats.  

All are invited to enjoy visits to our shared acreages, just leave the pooch in the car, or better, at home.   We have both open spaces and near 100 YO woods to walk and throw discs in, here in our county without a stop light.

• coorsmikey, Stoned Angel and Juthro like this

#27 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,943 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 April 2018 - 01:47 PM

It might be true that I have come close to gnawing my arm off when I awoke

You complain when Soliver talks about gnawing your arm off, but its ok for you to do it....

Kind of a double standard aint it? ;)
  • coorsmikey and Spooner like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!