• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Schteuben

Schteuben

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 09:55 PM

I have been trying to distance myself from technology in recent years. Growing up with my pops being a computer engineer, I had a computer virtually from birth; and the internet on top of that. 

He passed away recently and told me he had regrets about his career choice. His company had ended up laying him off due to health issues and after 20+ years of it, he just wanted to buy a boat and sail the world. 

Taking some advice from him, I'm trying to reconnect with nature, spirituality and just generally make myself feel better. 

I have never been much of a reader and could probably count the amount of books I have read on all of my fingers. 

Not to get too far off topic - I'm looking for your guys suggestions.

I recently picked up one book..

I'm from the Appalachian mountains, West Virginia to be exact; I picked up a mushroom field guide and have been reading up on the mushrooms and local plants around the area. 

#2 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:19 AM

For nonmushroom books you might like Twenty-one Balloons

It is a fantastic story of a retired school teacher who sets off on a trip around the world, narrowly escaping with his life when Krakatoa Volcano erupts under his feet.

It is an easy to read, light hearted, adventure tale, with enough wit to amuse even an old codger like me.

It  is even available online in PDF format.for free, but I prefer the print version for easy portability.

Enjoy!

Edited by Spooner, 26 April 2018 - 02:24 AM.

• dial8 and Juthro like this

#3 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,476 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 April 2018 - 05:29 AM

I definitely hear where your dad is coming from.  Carve out a life that allows you to connect with nature and connect with yourself. Hip gave some advice once that has always stuck with me: take the time to get where you want to be in life.  To me, that means having a clear vision and taking consistent steps toward realizing it.  And it does take time, if you're dreaming big enough.  I only started doing this about five years ago--before that I was more or less aimless--but since then I have already seen major changes unfold.

I recommend The Good Life by Helen and Scott Nearing.  They were university professors who were basically drummed out of their jobs, so they started homesteading in their fifties and became self-sustaining.  At least one of them lived to be over 100 years old, if I remember right.  The book just tells you how they did it and why.

Edited by Sidestreet, 26 April 2018 - 05:38 AM.

• dial8, Juthro and Spooner like this

#4 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 12,938 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 April 2018 - 10:25 AM

You might try, Be Here Now.    I had a bumper sticker one time that said, "Not All Who Wander Are Lost."   You can just let life surprise you, if your makeup can support such an approach.   Sometimes the best journeys are the ones with the least planning.   Ask your heart in any moment.  

be-here-now-by-ram-dass.jpg

tumblr_mohjoiIFyL1rwrdbuo1_500.gif

tumblr_n1bichE7OX1qdwx3so1_500.jpg

• dial8, Juthro and av8or like this

#5 outoforder

outoforder

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 134 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 05:52 PM

I would recommend "Huis clos" -I read it in german called "Geschlossene Gesellschaft" I didn`t find out the english title... written by Sean Paul Sarte in the fifties...
Hermann Hesse "Der Steppenwolf"
Günther Grass "Die Rättin" oder "Die Blechtrommel"
Nick Cave "And the Ass saw the Angel"
And one of the strangest books ever I read I have to add either... Castel Orley Bloom "Dolly City" - highly contoversive, and it was the only book ever, Where I was thinking during the reading if it is normal to read this book but it really opened a new universe of sickness... Thankfully i´m not a person like the main character. The sick thing is that really sick and bad things happen in a way in which you can kind of sympathize or at least follow the sick person in your mind . The strange thing is to let this person in your mind, however sont talk too much but this book really erupted me! Like 10 years ago.

best gretings! outoforder

Edited by outoforder, 06 June 2018 - 05:53 PM.

• dial8 likes this

#6 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,540 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 June 2018 - 03:11 PM

I read a lot of both fiction and non-fiction. You interested in non-fiction or fiction? If you are looking for  a good fiction book that really makes you think try some stuff by Jeff Vandermeer. The best of his books imho is the annihilation trilogy. Yes it was just recently made into a movie but the books are much better. They are as follow...Book 1 "Annihilation, book 2 "Authority", and book 3 "Acceptance". And if you are into fictional shaman books try the Carlos Castaneda books. I was lucky enough to receive every volume from the man, our hero, 3 himself.

• Juthro and Spooner like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!