4 replies to this topic

#1 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 644 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 03:59 PM

Hello all,
Watched this earlier, quite insightful me thinks.

[Direct Link]

• Lakegal7 likes this

#2 Justintime

Justintime

Justincase

• OG VIP
  • 2,551 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 October 2019 - 03:18 AM

Alan Watts is the Goo

#3 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 644 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 07:22 AM

Alan Watts is the Goo

The what now? :)

• Justintime likes this

#4 Justintime

Justintime

Justincase

• OG VIP
  • 2,551 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 November 2019 - 09:31 AM

Well I think he's the shit. In a good way. Some good shit. The shiiiiit! Groovy Gooooooo...
  • Cuboid likes this

#5 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 14,064 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 November 2019 - 10:16 AM

In the history of philosophy and poetry and art, we always find the interchange of two personality types, which I call prickles and goo

The prickly people are advocates of intellectual porcupinism. They want rigour, they want precise statistics, and they have a certain clipped attitude in their voices—and you know this very well in academic circles! They accuse other people of being disgustingly vague and miasmic and mystical. 

But the vague, miasmic and mystical people accuse the prickly people of being mere skeletons with no flesh on their bones. They say [to them] ‘You just rattle! You’re not really a human being. You know the words but you don’t know the music.’

And so therefore, if you belong to the prickly type, you hope that the ultimate constituent of matter is particles. If you belong to the gooey type, you hope it’s waves. 

If you’re prickly, you’re a Classicist. And if you’re gooey, you’re a Romanticist. And going back into Medieval philosophy, if you’re prickly, you’re a Nominalist—if you’re gooey, you’re a Realist. 

And so it goes. But we know very well that this natural universe is neither prickles nor goo exclusively. 

It’s gooey prickles and prickly goo.

Alan Watts

• crazy1, Furthur1, Justintime and 1 other like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!