• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cigarsam

Cigarsam

Traveller

• Free Member
  • 911 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 08:26 PM

Found this nice one walking a friend's house last week.20180501_190138.jpg 20180501_190130.jpg
This one is I have no idea is...
Any idea how to plant this?
It's some kind of climbing cactus.1525223786068-207818449.jpg
Thanks for any help with this.1525224184640-1706240168.jpg
The last 2 pictures I'm going to put in some soil tonight.

Attached Thumbnails

• 15252242753581446829332.jpg

Edited by Cigarsam, 01 May 2018 - 08:33 PM.

#2 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:09 PM

Most cacti can be rooted by propping up with about 1-3 cm burried in dry soil, watering only lightly once every few weeks.

For some, roots can be stimulated by standing the cutting up in a cup with an inch or less of rain water, willow water, or other non chlorinated water.  Works good on prickly pear and christmas cactus.

Willow water is just made by soaking lots of fresh cut willow branches in water for a couple of days.

Apparently willows produce some chemical that stimulates root growth, but don't let the water turn too slimey.

In any case, be sure to remove cacti from water after a few days or let the soil dry completely to avoid rot.

In nature any bit that falls off a cactus may root lieing flat, but it makes a more attractive specimen when you stand it up.

Edited by Spooner, 01 May 2018 - 09:31 PM.

• wharfrat and Cigarsam like this

#3 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,655 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:16 PM

I'm not positive on the top picture.................

The climbing is one of the night blooming cereus, possibly Queen of the Night. They are not the prettiest cactus, but the flowers are amazing ! The fragrance rivals the San Pedro's for intoxicating sweet and potent. One flower will perfume an entire patio on a still night. I scar them off a few days and then plant in cactus or succulent soil. They appreciate some shade. There are quite a few varieties.

The next down after that is one of the taller red blooming aloe's.

The bottom is an agave.

Spooners rooting advice is quite helpful. For the Queen of the night, the Aloe, and the Agave, you can also use a dry rooting powder, plant, and make sure not to overwater. 

I have lots of orchid cactus, and the night blooming cereus is the same in growth. They can get out of control and really spread all over a tree in a matter of years.

Nice finds.

• Spooner and adrian118 like this

#4 Cigarsam

Cigarsam

Traveller

• Free Member
  • 911 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:23 AM

Thank you Spooner and Skywatcher for you helpful I.D.s and planting advice.
I thought the top picture could have been a type of torch cactus from Bolivia or Peru.
  • Skywatcher likes this

#5 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,655 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:39 AM

I was also leaning towards a torch, but with hybridation there are so many mixes, it has become very difficult to give a positive ID with a 100%.

I like the blueish color and the new growth band lines. 

• Cigarsam likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!