#1 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,582 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:03 PM

I'll start with..... I'm not in any way affiliated with the folks selling these. Nor am I being compensated in any way for relaying this info.

A-mazon has a screaming deal on a 22qt Mirro, weight regulated pressure canner, for $54 (it's over 50%off).

I much prefer the weighted regulators over having to read the dial and adjust accordingly. The weighted units just don't wear out, as where gauges do, and their accuracy drifts over time.

Anyway, I thought it was about the best deal I've seen on a new PC this size in a long time, and thought I would share. Just type '22qt mirro pressure canner' into the A-mazon search window and you'll see it.

I should also say I have no idea how long this sale will last.

Peace :)
  • Spooner, wharfrat, Smasgotk and 1 other like this

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,413 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:45 PM

Here come a Bezos (sp) remark lol
  • RainbowCatepillar likes this

#3 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,593 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:30 PM

Here come a Bezos (sp) remark lol

I was hoping someone would step up and do it for me. 

• coorsmikey and RainbowCatepillar like this

#4 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,413 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:40 PM

I would have and could have but not as eloquent as you Alder, just from what I have learned your posts. Buuuut my Prime Account just auto-renewed yesterday and I don’t think it what have as much impact as if you said it. That being said, I just found a 1960s Magic Seal pressure cooker that will only hold 7 quart jars for $7 at Goodwill ( I could say the same shit about their business practices too) The damn pressure cooker reaches 15 psi in 4 mins. Mirror or Presto can’t campare to the quality of a genuine pressure cooker.
  • Randys67 and RainbowCatepillar like this

#5 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,582 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2018 - 10:58 PM

LOL, its funny you say that Mikey. Wards Magic Seal was manufactured by Presto back in the day, IIRC.  I don't think you can get parts or service for them now.

I know we've had this discution before, about our different feelings on the value of used PC's.   I personally think that $54 dollars for a new PC from a well know company is money well spent, and a hell of a deal.  

I would like to quote a post from Hippy3 on this subject.

From the archive  https://mycotopia.ne...html?1074433844

Every now and then I am asked about replacement parts for some ancient relic of a pressure cooker that is 40 or 50 years old, even older, dating back to early days of pressure cookery. Everytime I'm asked about these old monstrousitues I want to scream - "What are thinking!"

You know what s I'm talking about - pressure cookers and canners where the manufacturer went out of business at least 25 years ago so there aren't any gaskets available. Do you think that's why the pot was for sale as such a "good" price?

Pleae don't even tell me about all those 'homemade' gaskets people try to make for these old relics. If you don't worry about your own safety what about your family?

Maybe you don't want to lay out $100 (or more) for a good, modern pressure cooker with all the new safety and venting systems,but think of the savings.

Folks, I have to tell you these antiques are dangerous, and if you've heard all the horror stories about exploding pressure cookers of post WW II manufacture these old monsters are where it all started.

If it's aluminum and you see that it is finely pitted, indicating the metal has degraded and it's shedding aluminum in your food, not to mention all the bacteria breeding in the pits. If it's cast iron ... use it as a doorstop.

If you absolutely must have that old dinosaur you found in your great aunt Fannies attic, or the $2 bargain from a flea market PLEASE don't think you can still use it. Display it as a curio, pot a fern in it, or use it for the dog's water bowl.

​I also think it worth noting that even in this archived post from 14 years, $54 for a PC was screaming good deal.

Edited by Juthro, 02 May 2018 - 10:59 PM.

• Soliver likes this

#6 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,226 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2018 - 07:31 PM

I've got an American and a Presto.

The Presto is a leaky chunk of shit, and I've had to make new handles for it, but when it's all said and done, they both do the job.

I bet the American would stop a bullet tho'  .  .  .  the Presto? 

:)

soliver

• coorsmikey and Juthro like this

#7 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2018 - 08:08 PM

Maybe you should not let your mushrooms play with fire arms.

• Juthro likes this

#8 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,286 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2018 - 09:15 PM

Buffalo sure is a little pricey..

• Juthro likes this

#9 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,582 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2018 - 10:51 PM

I've seen those Buffalo PC's before, but I've never used one. I think they cater more to the industrial cook/restaurant crowd. As in more for cooking then canning.

IIRC their claim to fame is they are made out of stainless clad aluminum, getting the best of both worlds.
The durability, and ease of sanitation of the stainless, plus the superior thermal efficiency of the aluminum core.

Edited by Juthro, 06 May 2018 - 10:53 PM.

#10 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,226 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2018 - 06:42 PM

I've got an American and a Presto.

The Presto is a leaky chunk of shit, and I've had to make new handles for it, but when it's all said and done, they both do the job.

I bet the American would stop a bullet tho'  .  .  .  the Presto? 

soliver

I believe in my constitutional right to arm bears as well as a variety of fungi.

It does make for an interesting dynamic ...

soliver

• Juthro and Spooner like this

#11 Flyingmike

Flyingmike

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 02:28 AM

Just picked up a Pressure Cooker but later found out that it only gets to 11.8 PSI. Can this still be used to disinfect the substrate jars? 

#12 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 113 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 07:48 AM

Steam sterilization can cover a range of temperatures, but it affects the amount of time.
9996188A-55D3-4F9B-A95B-36E91227E0A9.jpeg
The amount of time to sterilize at 10psi is double the time it takes at 15psi. So for your pressure cooker that goes to 11.8 psi, it will be a little better than the 10 psi line in the table.

There’s a ton of charts like this, mostly seems to be for autoclaves, although it’s the same concept. Keep in mind that these sterilization times (in the charts) are for direct contact of steam and the items being sterilized, it takes much longer for items that are kept dry.

#13 randomlife

randomlife

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 07:23 PM

I've got a Presto 23Q coming but didn't read the fine print. Did order it from a mushroom website tho.

#14 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,582 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 September 2019 - 07:43 PM

I've got a Presto 23Q coming but didn't read the fine print. Did order it from a mushroom website tho.

You will be fine Random, the 23 quart unit is a pressure canner, not a pressure cooker.  It will go to 15psi, and it is ideal for this hobby.  Most of the pressure cookers that people have problems with are the electric models, like instant pot and its knock offs.

Flyingmike, I would have advised against getting a unit that only does 10 psi for our hobby, but if that's what you got, give it a try if like.  Lots of people have just steamed their PF jars and had successful grows.   But like ElPirana said, you need to know that the amount of time you have to keep your jars at pressure to sterilise them is not what the standard directions say, they are written for 15psi.

Edited by Juthro, 08 September 2019 - 07:46 PM.

#15 RainbowCatepillar

RainbowCatepillar

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 12:54 AM

Is there a pressure cooker anyone can recommend that I may use in my room? It would be nice to be stealthy so I won't alarm my fam.

They'll definitely wonder what the hell I'm up to since I don't cook too much llolll :biggrin:

#16 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 672 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 07:40 AM

Highly unlikely to my knowledge. Even with a hot plate I doubt a pc is gonna be stealthy

“I’d rather have nothing than have a lie”

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!