• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RedOctober

RedOctober

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 359 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 11:18 PM

I had read a thread a while back where someone mentioned using a bucket heater to heat water for pasteurization. I saw this one on several sites and the info on it is different on almost every site.
http://www.alliedprecision.com/bucketheater.html
It is made by Allied Precision and supposedly heats water up to 150 degrees (though this stat varies depending on where you look it up). Has anyone tried this and if so is it suitable for pasteurization? I unfortunately can’t control the water heater in my apt and boiling pots and pots of water is just too much of a pain so I am searching for an alternative.

Attached Thumbnails

• BUCKET-HEATER.jpg

#2 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:03 AM

that should work ok.
nice find.
also see
http://mycotopia.net...read.php?t=3217

#3 Elf Salvation

Elf Salvation

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 733 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:11 AM

I use a bucket heater and it can get five gallons hot as 220F~~~

Ussualy just submerge shit into five gallon buckets in a pilliow case, Or heat water and pasteurize shit it in a cooler.

#4 RedOctober

RedOctober

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 359 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:03 PM

Thanks Hippie. Interestingly enough, the heater referred to in the link you posted is I believe the same Allied Precision one I was talking about. On that page it says that it heats up to 180, so as you can see the information is a bit divergent and slightly incongruous. In my pasteurization, I believe I used significantly more than 5 gallons of water so I hope it does the job. I will buy one and let everyone here know how it goes.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
Elf, which heater do you use? And will it heat more than 5 gallons as effectively?
<o:p> </o:p>
P.S. sorry for the small font and that weird thing above my link, I couldn’t get rid of it.

#5 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 08:16 AM

the 'weird thing' is a question mark indicating a term
found in our Glossary here, click the link for more info about pasteurization, etc.
or if you meant your first post above,
i fixed that too.

#6 RedOctober

RedOctober

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 359 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 11:58 PM

Thanks for the link Hip,

I think that the question mark thing may have showed up because I copied and pasted text from Word. Lets see

This is just a test
ffice:office" /><O:p></O:p>
To see if pressing the Enter key in Word
<O:p></O:p>
Causes strange characters to appear in my posts

#7 RedOctober

RedOctober

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 359 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 12:01 AM

Indeed it would seem so. I guess this can be an example for people that if you copy and past text from Word, you will end up with these types of characters you see above wherever you have pressed the Enter key. I think you can just delete them before you submit your reply but there was one time where I couldn't so you might have to view it as a preview first.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!