30 replies to this topic

#1 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,365 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 May 2018 - 05:02 AM

OK I have had a few MS drops on agar for a few weeks, and have made some isolates, and put my first clean one to grain a few days ago. This is 2 days after an unplanned shake (dog).

I havent put much time into these, I have been busy with the edibles, but they are still progressing OK so I'm happy. I'm letting them get on with the growing...

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF6146a.jpg

• MicroMycoMan likes this

#2 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,231 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:49 AM

How does one's dog shake a grain jar? I can barely get my dog to wake up from a nap to go to bed. :tongue:

• PJammer24 and scott_1971_h like this

#3 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,544 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 May 2018 - 03:54 PM

Dogs are amazing!

A

• scott_1971_h and MycoAnt81 like this

#4 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,365 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 May 2018 - 06:27 PM

How does one's dog shake a grain jar? I can barely get my dog to wake up from a nap to go to bed. :tongue:

He bumped it off a shelf lol. He tries to kill every single flying insect that comes into his house. Being a AmStaff Rotty cross he's like an oversized bowling ball...

• RamenShaman likes this

#5 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,365 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 November 2018 - 06:10 AM

OK, 2 contaminations aside, I have the following jar:

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF6607.JPG
  • DSCF6606.JPG

• MycoAnt81 likes this

#6 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,365 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 November 2018 - 11:42 PM

Has anyone tried Hoog on rabbit poo? Its pretty fibrous and they arent exactly ruminants (they are 2-pass digesters) and I'm thinking it might be a good substitute for horse poo, from what I've read I wont be using the big bag of moo poo I have...

Plus it's already pelletised and doesnt smell anything like as bad as moopoo...

#7 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 186 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 12:24 AM

Mushroom manure compost works very well IME. I can't remember which member it was, but someone here did a substrate comparison of some five or six different types and manure compost performed best.

#8 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,365 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 November 2018 - 03:10 AM

I think it was peacefrog. From memory he compared straw, horse poo and mooopoo. The plain straw and the moopoo were notable for how badly they went...

So I was wondering if anyone had experience with rabbit poo or even alpaca poo.

Edited by scott_1971_h, 16 November 2018 - 03:12 AM.

#9 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 03:30 AM

Check this log:

https://mycotopia.ne...g/?fromsearch=1

Also has links to other grows.
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#10 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,365 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 November 2018 - 05:47 AM

Did a jar2bag transfer yesterday, love my flow hood.

I have 4l. of oats for it to get stuck into...

The other foto with the really white colonised grains is an Oak Ridge cubensis. It is a seriously rapid coloniser, equal to B+. I did a jar2bag in it yesterday as well.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF6625.JPG
  • DSCF6622.JPG

#11 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 186 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 06:14 AM

I suspect you're getting into uncharted waters using an obscure substrate with an equally obscure mushroom... try some of that shit and see what ones be shroomworthy. It'd be valuable info since growing this mushroom takes longer than a round trip sail of the Atlantic.

#12 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,365 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2018 - 12:00 AM

OK, I have some mushroom compost, ordinary compost, pea straw, wheat straw, hardwood chips, and will be getting some horse poo tomorrow. I am hoping to have enough oat in a few weeks to run a side by side comparison.

#13 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 470 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 01:28 PM

I love oats! Especially for stones. Only reason I dont use it more is because it's expensive here in Chicagoland, and hard to find. I usually use corn, rye, or WBS, but I'd use oats exclusively of I could.

But IME ANY grain will work if properly hydrated.

Back to the issue at hand...

Are you going to spawn to 100% rabbit poo? I hear its PH is really high you might need to add a bit of lime and gypsum. Rabbit poo is pretty dense too.

I'd recommend a mix of like 60/40 poo/vermiculite to keep the mixture nice and fluffy, as well as being able to hold more water than just poo.

Maybe even try some coir in there.

Gluck though! Keep us updated.

#14 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,365 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2018 - 07:05 AM

Right, I have a 4lb bag of oats, beautifully colonised. I am going to use a sub. of 50% pea straw, 20% mushroom compost, 20% 'normal' compost, 10%moopoo. Well, that's the plan. I'll sprinkle gypsum over it as its pasteurising.

I'll see how that goes...

#15 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 470 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:15 AM

Sounds like a plan!

#16 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,231 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2018 - 09:33 PM

Hoogs are technically grass/dirt loving? In nature they're found near coffee plantations methinks. I just use regular ol' sub. My go to sub is coir heavy, some soil, and straw. Peacefrog has a side by side here: https://mycotopia.ne...va-var-convexa/

:biggrin:

• MycoAnt81 likes this

#17 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,365 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2018 - 06:40 AM

I'm assuming it's still OK to cool the sub down by hanging the pillow case on the clothes line (outside)?

#18 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 470 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 12:36 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that doesnt sound like a good idea. Think of all the spores and pollen floating around outside.

I'd take the safe route and let it cool in the container in which you pastuerized.

Unless I missed something and this is an outside grow lol. Then that's fine.

#19 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,231 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2018 - 01:54 PM

I'm assuming it's still OK to cool the sub down by hanging the pillow case on the clothes line (outside)?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that doesnt sound like a good idea. Think of all the spores and pollen floating around outside.

I'd take the safe route and let it cool in the container in which you pastuerized.

Why cool it off? The longer that one can hold the pasteurization temperature, the better. I get mine to ~160f in turkey sized oven bags, seal the holes that I made with my probe thermometer (I run a piece of duct tape across the bag and poke thru the tape to get temps), wrap it in a blanket and throw into a cooler to hold those temps as long as possible.

#20 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 470 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 02:36 PM

Why cool it off? The longer that one can hold the pasteurization temperature, the better. I get mine to ~160f in turkey sized oven bags, seal the holes that I made with my probe thermometer (I run a piece of duct tape across the bag and poke thru the tape to get temps), wrap it in a blanket and throw into a cooler to hold those temps as long as possible.

I totally agree with your point. Mine is just that after he keeps it at the desired temp for the desired time, just leave it where it is to cool to room temp. Don't take it out of where you pastuerized it until it's the right temperature for spawning.

I feel like the less you mess with it, the better your chances of success. Less vectors for contamination.
  • CatsAndBats likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!