#1 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,540 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:33 PM

I don't know if this is the best place for these kinds of pictures but a hobby of mine is getting out in nature and finding interesting things. Anyway here is a lunar moth I found this morning. I'll look up the species name in a few. I cropped it some.

Attached Thumbnails

• Lunar Moth.jpg

• onediadem, coorsmikey, -=Zeus=- and 4 others like this

#2 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,540 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:53 PM

It's a Hyalophora cecropia.

• Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#3 Stoned Angel

Stoned Angel

aka dew drop daddy

• OG VIP
  • 1,993 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:07 PM

Wow shes so beautiful. :wub:

• dial8 and coorsmikey like this

#4 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,996 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:48 PM

Totally cool pic, 8!

You can post stuff like that anywhere you like :)

But if your so inclined, we like cool pics of all kinds in our photography thread as well.
https://mycotopia.ne...05#entry1366476
  • dial8 and Skywatcher like this

#5 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,540 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:55 PM

Thanks Juthro. Will do bud.

Idk something about the majestic nature of moths. They seem like buddhas of the insect world.

• Juthro likes this

#6 PoppaCap

PoppaCap

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:27 PM

I haven't seen one of those for years. I used to see them all the time when I was a kid. They are typically green around where I live.
  • dial8 likes this

#7 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,540 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 May 2018 - 03:22 PM

Yeah we have those around here to. Those are the ones with the long tails that narrow down then bulb out into a slight tear drop shape at the end. Those are very pretty moths. I saw one of those last year. Those are actually a little more common around here than the one pictured above.

• PoppaCap likes this

#8 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,489 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2018 - 08:42 AM

I love those moths, although I have not seen one since I was a child. The biggest we have now are the hummingbird moths, which are no where near as large or colorful, but a trip to watch hover like a hummer over plants at dusk.

Too bad you needed to mask out the background, but theres a photo op if you spot another 8..................

These are the ones we have, but this is not my picture.

hb_moth_072814_img_02.jpg

Edited by Skywatcher, 26 May 2018 - 08:46 AM.

• dial8 likes this

#9 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,540 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2018 - 12:48 PM

Nice, Sky! Yeah I was holding her in my hand or rather she was holding me by the hand and it had my seat belt and truck seat in the picture. She was as big as my hand. Wing span on her was probably about 5 inches. Anyway there were some thumbs and fingers showing and a nice palm print so I cropped it lol. Sidestreet got me all paranoid the other day talking about his pecker prints and the possibility of being identified by them lol.

I've seen moths, like the one you pictured, around here but with different coloration. That is a really pretty moth. Thanks for sharing that with us!

Edited by dial8, 26 May 2018 - 01:26 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#10 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,763 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2018 - 01:04 PM

Dial8 confesses to taking his to which I say/ask   -   why TF are you not living in the photography thread?

Dudes, that is a top notch, top drawer, first rate photograph.

Edited by pharmer, 26 May 2018 - 01:06 PM.

• dial8 likes this

#11 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,540 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2018 - 01:38 PM

Dang Pharmer. Thank you so much man! I will start to put them in the photo forum.  :bow:

BTW what happened to the "bow" emote?

#12 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,540 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2018 - 01:38 PM

:eusa_bow:

#13 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,008 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2018 - 02:48 PM

I believe the one posted by Skywatcher is a sphinx moth, which are what come from tomato worms.   I remember those when I was a kid in the Los Angeles suburbs.   They were the biggest moths I saw down there.  Up here we have the Polyphemus moth as the largest I have seen, though I believe they cover much of the country.   I'm lucky here to have a world class naturalist friend living not far off who is author of The Audubon Field Guide to North American Butterflies, Robert Michael Pyle, so anytime I have a question about anything in nature, especially in entomology, I call him.   I called him the first time I found one of these beauties:

Polyphemus Moth

2007-jun-12_polyphemusmoth.jpg

2+Polyphemus+moth,+West+Jefferson,+OH+Au

Robert Michael Pyle

[Direct Link]

820520dcdc5b3a2fe61a9c8c9387af38.jpg

Edited by Alder Logs, 26 May 2018 - 03:42 PM.

• dial8 likes this

#14 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,540 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2018 - 03:16 PM

Oh wow that's cool as shit, Alder! I bet that dude is interesting! Beautiful photos man thanks for posting those and the info.  

#15 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,008 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2018 - 03:33 PM

Those photos are not mine, just linked after a search.   Don't want to give that idea. 

#16 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,540 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2018 - 07:56 PM

Cool. Thanks for those other links. I have the Audubon book for mushrooms but I heard it was pretty much useless now, at least for some genera. Anyone else hear that or know anything on the subject?

#17 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,008 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2018 - 10:59 PM

I have that field gu

I have the Audubon book for mushrooms but I heard it was pretty much useless now, at least for some genera. Anyone else hear that or know anything on the subject?

I love that book and have for about forty years.   I accidentally dropped mine on the driveway, getting out of the car in the rain about thirty five years ago.   It got totally soaked and by the time I found it, it was about twice its original thickness and frozen solid.   I brought it in, thawed it out, but all the glossy colored pages were glued together.  I painstakingly peeled each page apart, loosing only a few of the pictures when the pages separated.   The cover had come off of it too and was too short now to wrap around it, but still, it was my go to guide for many years to follow.   I finally treated myself to a new copy about eight years ago. 

#18 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,540 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2018 - 11:24 PM

I like the book a lot too. Only have had mine for about 15 years. And yeah it has served me well and I have always thought it id'd shrooms pretty dang well. SO when I heard that I was like "Whaa??".

• Alder Logs likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!