• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 drrazzeux

drrazzeux

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 10:03 PM

Hello, grew up around cattle and shrooms here in the deep south, near New Orleans. it was not unusual to pick three or 4 large paper shopping bags full in 15 to 20 minutes. Didn't know any better and we boiled to a mush, strained and then froze to separate the gunk out. Still was foul to get down and it seem you body would fight you when you tried to drink the juice. Usually two to three ounces in a large tumbler full of concentrated Delaware Punch or Hawaiian Punch. In a hour you knew you were dying then a super fine trip 6 7o 8 hour trip.

Well them days done be gone yeah! Started growing. My third attempt and it may actually produce. Just birth the jars and a few had small shrooms that fell off before dunking. Should they be taken off? Ate them, hope that is cool but hate waste.

Looking forward to learning more. DrRazzeux

• Ronald Ray Gun likes this

#2 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 June 2018 - 11:04 PM

Hello, grew up around cattle and shrooms here in the deep south, near New Orleans. it was not unusual to pick three or 4 large paper shopping bags full in 15 to 20 minutes. Didn't know any better and we boiled to a mush, strained and then froze to separate the gunk out. Still was foul to get down and it seem you body would fight you when you tried to drink the juice. Usually two to three ounces in a large tumbler full of concentrated Delaware Punch or Hawaiian Punch. In a hour you knew you were dying then a super fine trip 6 7o 8 hour trip.

Well them days done be gone yeah! Started growing. My third attempt and it may actually produce. Just birth the jars and a few had small shrooms that fell off before dunking. Should they be taken off? Ate them, hope that is cool but hate waste.

Looking forward to learning more. DrRazzeux

welcome aboard! looking forward to you sharing your grows

#3 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 4,610 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 June 2018 - 11:52 PM

Welcome! How did ya get the cattle to fit into the shopping bags so fast?
  • onediadem, Ronald Ray Gun and MagickMan87 like this

#4 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 13,251 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 June 2018 - 11:55 PM

Welcome!

#5 MycoAnt81

MycoAnt81

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• VIP
  • 153 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 08:03 AM

Sup, welcome. Glad you made it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,537 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 June 2018 - 11:58 AM

Welcome cuz!

• Ronald Ray Gun and whirledpeas like this

#7 av8or

av8or

Bump Master

• VIP
  • 54 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 June 2018 - 01:43 PM

Welcome aboard, I'm also new her. Hold on for a unique learning experience. The warmth around here will make you feel right at ease. 

• dial8, Ronald Ray Gun and whirledpeas like this

#8 drrazzeux

drrazzeux

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:32 PM

Hello, thank y'all and looking forward to learning. I find that get cattle into a paper shopping sack you need to get the cows moving fast. Hold the bag to the side and then hold on.  :=)

I am starting my second grow. Can I place the jars inside a stryphome ice chest. The temp is 100 f plus where I need to grow. I figure the ice chest should stay close to 90.

So, can I use an ice chest? What do recommend for fruiting them, mono tub or ? Thank Y'all, Razzu

• wharfrat likes this

#9 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,978 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:31 PM

Hey there drrazzeux.

I don't think your cooler is going to do much for you.

At temperatures above 80*F you're most likely to cultivate bacteria. Mycelial death begins at 84*F and accelerates as the temperature climbs. Your challenge is going to be to find a cooler, stable environment or choose to grow during a cooler season. 

Or 

You could get creative and hack together your own cooling system like those used in the great deserts of the world. 

#10 Ronald Ray Gun

Ronald Ray Gun

Woodchip fever

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:37 PM

Welcome!

Maybe get a bunch of those little thermometers from the dollar store and post them up in dark or otherwise unused areas of your home and try to find the coolest spot,then go from there?

#11 drrazzeux

drrazzeux

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:01 PM

Thanks. The temp does get up there. I can solve that and bring them inside. But light/dark are difficult. I think my solution might be to put them into the ice chest and leave them inside. Some of the closets get over 80 but we keep the house about 75 f. Whats this mono tube thing? Last time just placed the cakes on moist perilite in a clear tub, misted daily 1x to 3x and maybe produced a 1/2 oz dried. The Golden Teacher.

In my youth we boiled the mushrooms down to a goo. I read that over 200 f you lose a lot. It occured to me looking back that once the water started boiling we turn the temp to low and simmered at likey 175 - 190 f was the cooking temp. The potency of a tablespoon was equal to eating 7 dried. We did several shots in a large tumblers with Delware Punch concertrate and ice. Some just tossed it back. But my buddy would hold a gun on me tell I drank mine than I held it on him :-) First time I listen to The Wall I drank about 6 shots, laid back in the grass on the bank of a bayou. 6 hours later I returned from flying with the bats over the water. Listing to Pink Floyd on a eight track.

Any way I like to try that again. Then a guy had a method of cooking them in a pressure cooker. A heavy thick dough like stuff came out and then it was rolled in wax paper, allowed to dry and then sliced. Good but don't remember the how. Anyone?

Razzu

#12 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,978 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:57 PM

I'm not familiar with any prep methods involving a pressure cooker. 

A visit to the Cookbook section might yield some interesting ideas. 

You ask about a monotub - it's basically the setup you described in the next sentence - with a catchy name attached. ;) 

Best of luck with your decision on where to make the next attempt. 

#13 Ronald Ray Gun

Ronald Ray Gun

Woodchip fever

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:08 PM

Recent bio assays of anecdotal reports is that the heat has to pretty high for extended periods of time for the magic to start degrading significantly. Again,these are anecdotal reports. So I wouldn’t really think running them through a pressure cooker would be wise,unless you have enough material to not care to lose and did an experiment. Especially if you posted such experiments here on topic for us all to share

Do you have any sort of reason you don’t want to use high strength alcohol to make an extract?

So many benefits to that tek. First on the list is the preservation of the magic.

Water based extract,even when simmered down to goo,are subject to bacteria. Obviously not a concern if consuming right away,but I assume some bacteria can be pretty nasty or dangerous to you health and well being,and if you plan to store it for a period of time,can be a concern.

The alcohol will preserve the magic for years to come,and has the awesome benefit of never allowing one of these bacteriae to infect your extract.

Also at a time you find yourself with a nice surplus,you can easily make a really large amount of pretty much any concentration you choose,and have it as a go to for astral projection or spirit walks or however you choose to expand your mind.

Edited by Ronald Ray Gun, 12 July 2018 - 10:15 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!