110 replies to this topic

#1 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 June 2018 - 07:58 PM

You read it, I figure I'll start this and let y'all watch me learn as I'm not at all versed in growing cacti.

This is my first and only cactus grow to date, it's approximately 2yrs old. It pupped at the beginning of last summer (after a year of me staring at it intensely)  and it's been taking off ever since. It's sitting in coir only, with a dusting of diatomaceous earth and a layer of sand to deter gnats. I feed it occasionally with some coir grow fertilizer.

post-147940-0-98358100-1528592182.jpg

Anywayyyyy, I'm about to cut this motherfucker up like edward scissorhands and make like six more. Stay tuned!

Attached Thumbnails

• Pedro.jpg

Edited by CatsAndBats, 09 June 2018 - 07:59 PM.

• coorsmikey, wildedibles, SteampunkScientist and 2 others like this

#2 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,740 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 June 2018 - 08:41 PM

That appears to be 4 ribbed. It will be interesting to see if the pups maintain the sacred number...........

• wildedibles and CatsAndBats like this

#3 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 June 2018 - 09:15 PM

That appears to be 4 ribbed. It will be interesting to see if the pups maintain the sacred number...........

It's five, womp

• wildedibles and Skywatcher like this

#4 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,740 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 June 2018 - 09:36 PM

Well then,

Carry on.....................................

#5 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,477 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 June 2018 - 05:06 AM

It gets enough light just being in that window?

#6 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 June 2018 - 08:12 AM

It gets enough light just being in that window?

Look at it, most of that growth happened in 3mos last summer. Following @pharmer 's advice, I let it go dormant during winter, reducing water, eliminating feeding, etc..

Today, the hacksaw surgery occurs!

Edited by CatsAndBats, 10 June 2018 - 08:20 AM.

• Skywatcher likes this

#7 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,477 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 June 2018 - 11:47 AM

I'm no expert but it looks great to me!

• CatsAndBats likes this

#8 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 June 2018 - 11:53 AM

post-147940-0-76287600-1528649582.jpg

Question. Is there anything special I should do to the original cactus after the circumcision?

Attached Thumbnails

• pedro circumcised.jpg

• wildedibles, skunk and makinbones69 like this

#9 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 672 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 June 2018 - 12:31 PM

nice  cactus

• CatsAndBats likes this

#10 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,740 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 June 2018 - 03:36 PM

Question. Is there anything special I should do to the original cactus after the circumcision?

Absolutely !

Give it a full dose of gratitude, Tell it how many offspring it has now, and don't water until the cuts scar. 

• onediadem, coorsmikey, wildedibles and 3 others like this

#11 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 June 2018 - 04:04 PM

Absolutely !

Give it a full dose of gratitude, Tell it how many offspring it has now, and don't water until the cuts scar. 

I love you sky. I did apologize before the cut. I also thanked it as I do when I harvest fruits from my mush colonies.

• wildedibles, Skywatcher and SteampunkScientist like this

#12 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,870 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 June 2018 - 04:41 PM

if you can get a fan blowing across the cut it will help it callous quicker. you can put the other six cuts in front of the same fan for the same reason.

whatever you did to the soil of the current plant do to the soil for the cuts you'll be rooting.  that plant looks very good and you got some great growth with the conditions you gave the column.

it's not going to do much for most of this growing season. it's recovery time.  maybe some root stimulator to get a bigger badder root ball underneath and then expect a growth explosion next year. not that this year wasn't impressive. well done with that.

you might get a pup or two or three this year depending on how itchy it is to get growing again.

but, friend, if you're willing to do this much work I'd really recommend putting that effort into Bridgesii's.....   to my estimation you'll get 3x the sparkle per weight but only half the rate of growth.

• wildedibles, Skywatcher, CatsAndBats and 1 other like this

#13 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 June 2018 - 05:24 PM

if you can get a fan blowing across the cut it will help it callous quicker. you can put the other six cuts in front of the same fan for the same reason.

whatever you did to the soil of the current plant do to the soil for the cuts you'll be rooting.  that plant looks very good and you got some great growth with the conditions you gave the column.

it's not going to do much for most of this growing season. it's recovery time.  maybe some root stimulator to get a bigger badder root ball underneath and then expect a growth explosion next year. not that this year wasn't impressive. well done with that.

you might get a pup or two or three this year depending on how itchy it is to get growing again.

but, friend, if you're willing to do this much work I'd really recommend putting that effort into Bridgesii's.....   to my estimation you'll get 3x the sparkle per weight but only half the rate of growth.

Thanks pharmer!

I did put the cuttings under a fan already and the "dad" is in a room that I dehydrate booms in, so it'll scab up quick in my estimation.

Yup, coir only, with an occasional feeding. I like how simple it is and how quickly it dries out, so I can water more often allowing Pedro to maximize photosynthesis without putting it at risk of rotting or disease, or at least that's been my observation/instinct.

Bridgesii you say?

• coorsmikey and wildedibles like this

#14 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,870 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 June 2018 - 06:17 PM

I think Bridges' don't tolerate as much water as Pach's do. At least not in the soil. They like a more mineral, quicker draining mix.

Pach's are the weeds of the columnar cactus world IME. They grow in pretty much anything as long as they're not swimming.

Given your coir soil it's no surprise that column put on so much mass so quickly. I'd guess it's also good for feeding them frequently.

Ever done a horse poo tea for your plants?

Edited by pharmer, 10 June 2018 - 06:18 PM.

#15 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,167 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 June 2018 - 06:31 PM

I think Bridges' don't tolerate as much water as Pach's do. At least not in the soil. They like a more mineral, quicker draining mix.

Pach's are the weeds of the columnar cactus world IME. They grow in pretty much anything as long as they're not swimming.

Given your coir soil it's no surprise that column put on so much mass so quickly. I'd guess it's also good for feeding them frequently.

I was thinkning bunny poo tea for my cacti??

Edited by wildedibles, 12 June 2018 - 06:32 PM.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#16 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,870 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:16 PM

I don't know bunny poo from horse poo so I'll reserve comment

But the key to supercharging teas is to oxygenate them. Running an air pump through an air stone while tea-ing the poo keeps it aerobic. Adding molasses and some local fungus infested soil really beefs up the tea.

Seems like bunny poo would be mild by comparison to hot/ammonia horse poo. Now that I think about it why not tea it up???

• wildedibles likes this

#17 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,167 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:38 PM

Ive heard bunny poo is ready for the garden outa the :) its ready for use no need for aging

So far its doing great in the garden I have a lot of it having 3 bunnys so far.....

I like the idea adding mushroom mycellia to the tea too :)

I make fermented fertilizer its usually ready for flowering and fruiting veggies ....made from my comfrey plant and some cabage

poo tea would be great right now how long to let the tea steep in the ariated water?

#18 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,870 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:46 PM

a few hours, two days wouldn't hurt. I hear there's a point of no further gains though, like two days in the aerated environment and then use it up quickly or it starts to loose all the good qualities.

Edited by pharmer, 12 June 2018 - 08:47 PM.

• wildedibles likes this

#19 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:42 AM

Nope, but I do have ample manure, I could give it a shot.

Now that my cuttings have scabbed, do I just wait for root nodes to show up?

I'm really glad that I started this thread, I'm learning a lot and it gives me a break from fungi.

I was thinkning bunny poo tea for my cacti??

I imagine that it's still pretty hot since they are so small and have such a fast metabolism..

• wildedibles likes this

#20 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:04 AM

Some of the pieces already have root nodes popping out (I think)! Please advise. Is there a time limit? Can I let them grow more before potting?

HELP!

gallery_147940_1513_12895.png

Here's a shot of the ones with the nodes:

post-147940-0-46801400-1528986218.jpg

[Direct Link]

Beastie Boys 'Root Down'

"I'm like sweetie pie by the stone alliance
Everybody know I'm known for dropping science
I'm electric like Dick Hyman

I guess you'd expect to catch the crew rhymin'
Never let you down with the stereo sound
So Mike, get on the mic and turn it out
We're talking root down, I put my boot down

And if you want to battle me, you're putting loot down
I said it's root down, it's time to scoot down
Until I step up to the mic in my goose down"

Attached Thumbnails

• root down.jpg

Edited by CatsAndBats, 14 June 2018 - 09:29 AM.

• wildedibles likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!