110 replies to this topic

#21 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:28 PM

Like are the root nodes going to dry out?

• wildedibles likes this

#22 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,103 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 June 2018 - 02:24 AM

bump bud ;)

Some of the pieces already have root nodes popping out (I think)! Please advise. Is there a time limit? Can I let them grow more before potting?

HELP!

gallery_147940_1513_12895.png

Here's a shot of the ones with the nodes:

post-147940-0-46801400-1528986218.jpg

[Direct Link]

Beastie Boys 'Root Down'

"I'm like sweetie pie by the stone allianceEverybody know I'm known for dropping science
I'm electric like Dick Hyman

I guess you'd expect to catch the crew rhymin'
Never let you down with the stereo sound
So Mike, get on the mic and turn it out
We're talking root down, I put my boot down

And if you want to battle me, you're putting loot down
I said it's root down, it's time to scoot down
Until I step up to the mic in my goose down"

• CatsAndBats likes this

#23 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 June 2018 - 07:35 AM

Maybe they're not roots..

gallery_147940_1513_15569.png

#24 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,103 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 June 2018 - 08:44 AM

I would say plant but .... I dont have much experience planting cuts ....so?? They r dried out and you can wait someone will answer you today then you have time ;) patience my friend is the first lesson with cacti ;)
  • coorsmikey and CatsAndBats like this

#25 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,643 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:12 PM

post-147940-0-46801400-1528986218.jpg

Those are not roots my friend. As the cut skin shrinks back when it drys, the feeding tubes around the vascular ring start to extend as they are a harder material and do not shrink like the soft flesh surrounding.

The skin is looking good, but still needs to callus more. It should be thicker and not give when you press on it before you plant the cuttings. If you do get root nodes, there is no need to worry about them drying out as they are the cactus searching for water, and can be fine for months and months.............

• wildedibles, CatsAndBats and skunk like this

#26 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 June 2018 - 07:12 PM

Those are not roots my friend. As the cut skin shrinks back when it drys, the feeding tubes around the vascular ring start to extend as they are a harder material and do not shrink like the soft flesh surrounding.

The skin is looking good, but still needs to callus more. It should be thicker and not give when you press on it before you plant the cuttings. If you do get root nodes, there is no need to worry about them drying out as they are the cactus searching for water, and can be fine for months and months.............

Well I scooped up some succulent leaves that had fallen off of their plants at a plant store/nursery and put them under the fan with the Pedro pieces and this happened:

post-147940-0-20833900-1529194214.jpg

So you can see how I got confused (it's a pretty common occurrence)

Attached Thumbnails

• succulant leaf roots.jpg

Edited by CatsAndBats, 16 June 2018 - 07:14 PM.

• Sidestreet, coorsmikey, wildedibles and 3 others like this

#27 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,643 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 June 2018 - 07:52 PM

I understand. I have quite a few succulant's, and if I but throw them at some dirt and spit on them, they still grow.....

Cactus are much tougher skinned, and take a bit longer, although unintended, I have had pedros fall over and simply root themselves with no effort on my part................

err on the side of caution is my mode if I am trying.

Edited by Skywatcher, 16 June 2018 - 08:01 PM.

• wildedibles likes this

#28 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,103 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 June 2018 - 08:15 PM

I agree succlents spread easily :) this is the time of year to break them up after a bit of rain and sun you cant even tell you broke them up :) I love succlents :)
  • Skywatcher likes this

#29 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 June 2018 - 08:25 PM

Outta likes, how 'bout some wub: :wub:

• wildedibles and Skywatcher like this

#30 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,103 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 June 2018 - 09:58 PM

I would never turn down wub or was tht rub ah either or is all good with me :) XOXOXOX
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#31 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,829 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2018 - 09:00 AM

Sorry didn't mean to ignore this thread, somehow missed it.

What you thought were roots are the core of the column, and what Skye said.

Root those particular cuts now because they're short and have a finite supply of water and sugars in them to hold them over until the roots take.

Larger cuts, lets make up a number like 18 inches, can overwinter out of soil and restart just fine in the spring.

Be sure to plant with the sections oriented UP. UP as in up before they were cut. Cactus don't like being planted upside down and sometimes fail to root because of it. Study the aereoles and notches on the ribs. Make sure the cuts orient the same way as the mother. Unless the temps get ridiculously hot put them outside in partial shade to root, tiny to no amounts of water. Indoors in cool air conditioned comfort is not right early in their lives.  Try to get at least two rows of aereoles under the soil. That's my rule of thumb for quicker rooting. Seems to work.

btw Confusion is natures' way of telling you you're curious and learning quicker than you can assimilate.

good pics btw, thanks for that :)

re: roots drying out. Doesn't matter. If they dry out the column just grows more as long as it still has energy stored up in the flesh.  I bought several of my first cactus with root balls intact but with all the soil washed off ( cheaper shipping I guess). I put them in soil and they used the existing roots like nothing had happened.

Edited by pharmer, 17 June 2018 - 09:12 AM.

• wildedibles, Skywatcher and CatsAndBats like this

#32 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2018 - 09:50 AM

Be sure to plant with the sections oriented UP. UP as in up before they were cut. Cactus don't like being planted upside down and sometimes fail to root because of it. Study the aereoles and notches on the ribs. Make sure the cuts orient the same way as the mother. Unless the temps get ridiculously hot put them outside in partial shade to root, tiny to no amounts of water. Indoors in cool air conditioned comfort is not right early in their lives.  Try to get at least two rows of aereoles under the soil. That's my rule of thumb for quicker rooting. Seems to work.

I have no idea which way is up on a couple pieces.

What do you mean to make sue the cuts orient the same way as the mother?

How long will they take to form a root system on average?

• wildedibles likes this

#33 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,829 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2018 - 10:02 AM

Be sure to plant with the sections oriented UP. UP as in up before they were cut. Cactus don't like being planted upside down and sometimes fail to root because of it. Study the aereoles and notches on the ribs. Make sure the cuts orient the same way as the mother.  Use the photo in the OP as a reference. Look where the column is outlined against the window sill. You'll see a distinct pattern in the orientation of the notches. That shows you UP. You don't want down. Down is not what you want. Up is what you want. You'll use the pattern of the notches.........https://www.youtube....h?v=xOrgLj9lOwk

Roots will form within weeks. A good root ball will take all summer. You might get pups but roots are what a new column really needs. It will pup if it determines it has enough energy to both root and pup.

Edited by pharmer, 17 June 2018 - 10:08 AM.

• Skywatcher, CatsAndBats, sparrow95 and 1 other like this

#34 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2018 - 10:30 AM

Be sure to plant with the sections oriented UP. UP as in up before they were cut. Cactus don't like being planted upside down and sometimes fail to root because of it. Study the aereoles and notches on the ribs. Make sure the cuts orient the same way as the mother.  Use the photo in the OP as a reference. Look where the column is outlined against the window sill. You'll see a distinct pattern in the orientation of the notches. That shows you UP. You don't want down. Down is not what you want. Up is what you want. You'll use the pattern of the notches.........https://www.youtube....h?v=xOrgLj9lOwk

Roots will form within weeks. A good root ball will take all summer. You might get pups but roots are what a new column really needs. It will pup if it determines it has enough energy to both root and pup.

Thanks "mr. bold typeface", I can be a little hard headed. Plus this is how I was when first started growing booms, like a concerned new parent. :tongue:

Thanks pharm

Ha! Monty Python is gravy.

Edited by CatsAndBats, 17 June 2018 - 10:31 AM.

#35 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,829 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2018 - 10:43 AM

I considered giving you this treatment

[Direct Link]

but went with the gentler approach

:)

• wildedibles, Skywatcher and sparrow95 like this

#36 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,290 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2018 - 10:44 AM

I have no idea which way is up...

Can I quote you on that?

Edited by Alder Logs, 17 June 2018 - 10:45 AM.

• wildedibles, CatsAndBats and sparrow95 like this

#37 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2018 - 12:14 PM

I considered giving you this treatment

[Direct Link]

but went with the gentler approach

:)

yup

I have no idea which way is up...

Can I quote you on that?

nope

• wildedibles and Alder Logs like this

#38 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2018 - 12:28 PM

I have root hormone somewhere, do I just moisten the bottom and dip it in? That's how I use it with other plants.

• wildedibles likes this

#39 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,290 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2018 - 02:07 PM

nope

But it was my big chance to break into mainstream news!

• wildedibles and CatsAndBats like this

#40 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2018 - 02:50 PM

nope

But it was my big chance to break into mainstream news!

gallery_147940_1588_972434.gif

Edited by CatsAndBats, 17 June 2018 - 02:50 PM.

• wildedibles likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!