this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,355 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2019 - 09:30 AM

post-147940-0-81486800-1552314447.jpg

post-147940-0-50401300-1552314459.jpg

post-147940-0-33638100-1552314471.jpg

Upon further inspection, it's on more of the cactus than I saw earlier and one san pedro has it or similar discoloration.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190311_101531.jpg
  • 20190311_101611.jpg
  • 20190311_101647.jpg

• OldNef likes this

#82 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,355 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2019 - 09:32 AM

I have broached this topic in the past and never received a definitive response... Excluding Cacti, does anyone know which succulents are dog safe? Specifically succulents that will thrive in temperate climates.

Sorry for the thread jack but I thought this was close enough to being on topic.

You can always post on my threads. There aren't any dog safe succulents that I know of. I've done a deep dive (internet) and couldn't find any that are safe.

#83 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,493 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2019 - 09:33 AM

I have broached this topic in the past and never received a definitive response... Excluding Cacti, does anyone know which succulents are dog safe? Specifically succulents that will thrive in temperate climates.

Excluding cacti, pretty much all succulents are safe as far as toxicity, except any of the euphorbias. Most will tolerate a light frost if they are not dehydrated. A harder frost (-30) can damage some leaves, but the main core plant is fine and will regenerate. Thicker leaved plants like aloes and large rosette formations can take more cold as long as it is not prolonged.....

Cats, I too want to see what the brown shmutz looks like.........

#84 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,108 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2019 - 09:38 AM

Sorry for the thread jack but I thought this was close enough to being on topic.

You can always post on my threads. There aren't any dog safe succulents that I know of. I've done a deep dive (internet) and couldn't find any that are safe.

Excluding cacti, pretty much all succulents are safe as far as toxicity, except any of the euphorbias. Most will tolerate a light frost if they are not dehydrated. A harder frost (-30) can damage some leaves, but the main core plant is fine and will regenerate. Thicker leaved plants like aloes and large rosette formations can take more cold as long as it is not prolonged.....

I have two guys I respect throwing out very different responses.... 

#85 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,355 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2019 - 10:02 AM

post-147940-0-81486800-1552314447.jpg

post-147940-0-50401300-1552314459.jpg

post-147940-0-33638100-1552314471.jpg

Upon further inspection, it's on more of the cactus than I saw earlier and one san pedro has it or similar discoloration.

We posted at the same time.

PJ, skywatcher is way more versed in this field than I am. Listen to him. If you need heirloom tomato advice, I'm your guy (or cats).

• PJammer24 likes this

#86 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,764 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2019 - 10:39 AM

I don't see anything worth panicking over in the pics.

You'd expect to see that discoloration at the base just because of the light being interfered with by the stones at the base.

Higher than that and we start scrambling for an explanation.

Because the skin looks firm and sound I'll guess there's no reason for concern until it looks worse.

If it were looking weepy or weak or somehow opening up we'd talk about cutting and putting sulfur or cinnamon on it. But not now.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#87 Boebs

Boebs

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 189 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 11:08 AM

Damn that is a good question, i guess your best method would be, start with the type of succulent you have, and do the best i.d. you can, the. Google the hell out of it to see what type of chemical structures have been determined to be inside.
Hope that helps..

#88 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,493 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2019 - 06:38 PM

PJ,

I'm going to apologise and stand corrected. Euphorbias I knew about, but never realized that many succulents can cause nausea or worse. Gopher Spurge, and the orange coral like branched euphorbia are the worst, with the sap causing burning rash if it gets on skin.

I was able to find some better info here:

https://www.american...l-of-succulents

Which would be a good start point.

Edited by Skywatcher, 11 March 2019 - 08:18 PM.

• PJammer24, CatsAndBats and Boebs like this

#89 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,493 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2019 - 06:49 PM

Cats, I agree with pharmer that it is not a cause for panic.

I am going to add that I see the same skin separation at times on areas of my trichs, that does not seem to spread or cause any issues. I perhaps incorrectly always assumed it was a type of reaction to sunburn, or a protective reaction to insulate the internal structure from environmental stress points, but I don't know this for sure.

I see it much more often on the pedros growing at the river house in the desert, and most aways on the sun side.

Edited by Skywatcher, 11 March 2019 - 08:24 PM.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#90 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,355 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2019 - 08:21 PM

Cats, I agree with pharmer that it is not a cause for panic.

I am going to add that I see the same skin separation at times on areas of my trichs, that does not seem to spread or cause any issues. I perhaps incorrectly always assumed it was a type of reaction to sunburn, or a protective reaction to insulate the internal structure from environmental stress points.

I'm not prone to panicking. :tongue:

• Skywatcher and OldNef like this

#91 OldNef

OldNef

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 11:18 PM

nice thread CatsAndBats

was an inspiration to see you do well with these so far, without being an expert at cactus

I have some from seed going at the moment, various Trichs... my L. williamsii didn't pop though, gonna try again with those

new to all this stuff, so cheers for the boost in morale. I might be able to make it work yet lol

happy growing

• Boebs likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!