110 replies to this topic

#101 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,868 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 June 2019 - 09:14 PM

I don't see any troubles there. The pup next to the super withered pachanoi will do just fine. I'd keep an eye on the withered one though. At the first sign of rot get it out of the pot and double check the roots for bugs or rot in the soil. I'd guess there's neither bugs nor rot but there's no harm in checking.

how long has the withered cut been in the soil? If it's been six months and there's no roots I'd yank it ......    and check the bottom for rot or bugs

if buggy or diseased repot the pup in new soil and get the bad soil away from your house and garden

but nothing about the soil looks off in the pic - so maybe it's just some bad luck for the original cut you tried to root. It happens occasionally.

• Skywatcher and CatsAndBats like this

#102 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,735 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 June 2019 - 09:21 PM

What's a "Icaros"?

Bridgesii cover all the active columnar cacti? And Loph's are buttons like peyote?

I also read recently that one can graft a peyote button to a different cactus and it'll grow a ton faster:

Icaros is one genetic line of a torch as Boebs said. I don't have a picture handy from this year, but this is the little cutting that could, and one of the pups from last year.

Icaros pup and original stock.jpg

Trichocereus pachanoi, peruvianus, and bridgesii are the active columnars. Lophophora is the family where peyote of all its various subspecies are from. "Buttons"is a reference to the severed top of a peyote cactus, done in preparation for joining your flesh, (or to graft on another cactus).

Yes a grafted peyote will grow faster as long as the grafting stock is a fast grower like pereskiopsis or as Boebs has shown, opuntia. Flowering at 6-8 months is in my opinion quite a bit over expectation.

A peyote grafted on a trichocereus will not grow near as fast.

#103 Boebs

Boebs

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 406 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 06:08 AM

I grafted a few button seedlings to selenicereus grandiflorus
I had flowers within a year
  • Skywatcher likes this

#104 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 July 2019 - 11:30 AM

So all of the columnar cacti can get full Sun? 

I have two from @meyer (RIP), and the two from @pharmer that are still straight sitting in large perlite chips and quartz chips.

Their only nutrition came from cns17 grow, for soil-less grows, applied sparingly. Now that they're outside I put a couple bird guano pellets on the top of the perlite/rock chips, so that they slowly get a little organic N when I water them. I could probably water them daily since they can't possibly hold water in that perlite.

cnsg432m.jpg

Should I purrhaps give them real soil, or keep going the direction that I'm going? My 'real soil' is Hoffman Organic Cactus soil : sand : large perlite at 2:1:1

The only one that I refuse to do something to is the original san pedro, who just keeps rewarding what I've done for him year after year. :biggrin:

Edited by CatsAndBats, 04 July 2019 - 11:31 AM.

#105 ItBeBasidia

ItBeBasidia

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 60 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 July 2019 - 09:36 PM

That's a good mixture cat. I use cocoloco or foxfarm ocean floor with pumice, wash sand, and gypsum added at a similar ratio. I think actual soil is great for columnar's because they tolerate it well and they constantly have food to tap into. In the summer I water mine every other day and they love it! I think putting them in soil will take a task off your hand because you won't have to constantly fertilize for a while and they'll develop relationships with more microorganisms. As long as they're getting food regularly they'll do well though. You have a smashing collection btw
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#106 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 July 2019 - 10:27 PM

That's a good mixture cat. I use cocoloco or foxfarm ocean floor with pumice, wash sand, and gypsum added at a similar ratio. I think actual soil is great for columnar's because they tolerate it well and they constantly have food to tap into. In the summer I water mine every other day and they love it! I think putting them in soil will take a task off your hand because you won't have to constantly fertilize for a while and they'll develop relationships with more microorganisms. As long as they're getting food regularly they'll do well though. You have a smashing collection btw

Thanks! I appreciate your advice/support!

#107 ItBeBasidia

ItBeBasidia

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 60 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 July 2019 - 01:22 PM

No problem! I forgot to mention I give mine full sun, but only after a week of hardening under screen mesh. Their growth booms after being adapted to full sun, but you have to keep a close eye during hardening because sunburn is a real bummer.

#108 Neptunechild

Neptunechild

Cactus Wizard

• OG VIP
  • 688 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 July 2019 - 11:52 AM

Been some time since I've been around the forums Dam life & Kids eatting up my social time. Your Cacti Garden looks amazing mang! Glad to see the Cacti bug has taken ahold of you as well.

Hope all is well with you and your cacti!

SkunK

Namaste

I second this! Though no kids, but also wasnt around a long time. Except for Skunk, Meyer, Sky and pharmer....I felt mostly like talking to myself 2-3 years back when I was sharing my cacti related stuff haha :D Great to see more people getting infected :D!

See you soon

#109 Neptunechild

Neptunechild

Cactus Wizard

• OG VIP
  • 688 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 July 2019 - 11:53 AM

I have two from @meyer (RIP)

What did I miss ?!?!?!?

#110 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,334 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 July 2019 - 01:58 PM

I have two from @meyer (RIP)

What did I miss ?!?!?!?

#111 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,868 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 July 2019 - 03:00 PM

Meyer passed a few months back.

Not sure who I talked with about this, look around for one of the cactus people who has the RIP Meyer at the bottom of his posts, who knew the details

Back on topic:  every third year or so I've taken the time to make an aerobic tea of horse shizz, molasses, and any old fungus I find growing in the flowerbeds around the house. The columns love that stuff and have a growth spurt the year you put it in the soil assuming you put it on early in the growing season.

UTFSE

Edited by pharmer, 14 July 2019 - 03:02 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!