207 replies to this topic

#81 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 July 2019 - 07:54 PM

I have learned a few things about peppers today ....looking peppers (hot) up I found that I have 2 kinds one points up like tobasco and the other kinds are cayenne 2 familys of peppers from the Solanaceae family

family Solanaceae
genus Capsicum

https://en.m.wikiped...sicum_cultivars

Capsicum annuum.

https://en.m.wikiped...g/wiki/JalapeƱo

https://en.m.wikiped.../Cayenne_pepper

https://en.m.wikiped...ki/Chili_pepper

https://en.m.wikiped...rian_wax_pepper

Capsicum chinense.

https://en.m.wikiped...g/wiki/Habanero

Capsium baccatum,

Capsicum frutescens,

Capsium pubescens.

Edited by wildedibles, 18 July 2019 - 08:44 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#82 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 July 2019 - 09:29 PM

;) Thanks buddy I have 2 more peppers to confuse the mix
F1 Loco which one site says C. frutescens and one says C. .... Ghost pepper is https://en.m.wikiped...ki/Bhut_jolokia

..... C. chinense and C. frutescens.... wildE shakes her head at the name game again....

the loco one I have .....look more like the shape and color of the fruit .....look like C. p.... and the flowers too they are purple .....C. pubescens from what I read these tend to be more wild like small purple fruit ..... more like a night shade.... I was wondering if these and the bitter sweet night shade.... I have blooming now would cross pollinate?? soooo I am gonna skip on the saving seeds maybe I can get a stem to clone and grow in the window for the winter and out in the summer??

oh ya sooo many peppers for someone that dont like peppers so much ?? I like the flavor but not the texture dried is fine and maybe pickled or sauces :) but my youngest boy likes hot peppers and they had so many hot variety of pepper plants at the store this year :) I cannot grow so well from seed but the plants were already flowering so I should try and he wanted the green drinks so I have 3 or 2 kale varietys around the yard to see where the slugs like it best :)
and swiss chard.... I am tying egg plant and I should look the growth of that out I bought my tomatoes this year a simple cherry and a big tomato have a few plants ...

we have been too busy to chat it up here maing a few garsdens one around the water fall so I dont over flow my bucket anymore and loose most of my rain water it overflows into the pond now :) and we are fixing the rain barrel hose to run better and mulching the front hedge...

...just used the Reynoutria japonica
https://en.m.wikiped...outria_japonica
as bambo to hold up my peas and weed :) I think its gonna work out really well .... more to show and tell later
I took some pictures and will share later b4 and after tieing them later the tomatoes im gonna tie them up and prune them this yea cuz the are crouding out my peppers anmd i have already moved some peppers outa the way

we have already eaten a H wax pepper and have some peppers and tomatoes on the plant harvesting greens and fruit on the apple trees there is more then a few popping up in the hedge we placed manny apple cores and guinney pig shavings with apple seeds in the hedge around the outer edge of the yard

ok Im done getting tired and feeling unorganized thought train going and going and going of track ;) good night pictures when I dont have my feet in the dirt ;)

#83 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 July 2019 - 06:30 AM

https://gardener.fan...annuum_'Apache'

Apache is one I forgot and I have one sweet yellow one?? cant remember now what the exact name is these both be the C. annuum.

I planted the peppers in a few diff gardens for room and to see where they grow best and for the most part they are doing well but I need to tie thoes tomatoes.....

#84 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 July 2019 - 07:39 AM

[Direct Link]

mesh netting to protect plants instead of spraying poison

I seen the black and white butterfly now so maybe I need to keep an eye on my dill cuz the caterpillar will eat my dill like last year or parsley ....this is why I planted more I like this one butterfly as much as the monarch so I decided to feed them and me instead of spraying poison ;)  when I looked them up I read they eat parsley too so I planted it this year and am loving cooking with it again thanks butterfly for the idea .... a note on butterflys I have 2 caterpillars of the monarch butterfly on my milkweed next to the front door again this plant loves high traffic areas wow!! and well they will move from one plant to another too I have 4 milkweed plants mixed in the flowers at the step and they are doing well moving from one plant to another its tuff to find them sometimes but they were out to say hi to my Mom and Son yesterday right on top of the leaf.....

Last year tho I seen the dill was all eaten?? looked around and seen this caterpiller looking like a monarch caterpiller and thought what the and looked closer they are not soposed to eat anything but milkweed?? ....oh its a backward caterpiller the colors are like backward on this one so like I do I liik it up see if I can find it again and show you all.... might have it in this thread too??

The Zebra swallow tail butterfly 

https://en.wikipedia...phium_marcellus

I cant believe I forgot that name....

we would be at the most northern they come so I am happy to have them I remember them and the monarch well as a young girl and I think there is a yellow and black one around here too .... my brother had a good insect book I remember looking the butterflys up they are all prob swallotails I love these butterflys I am certain Im not alone I think all the efforts of the save the monarchs are working some years I see very many now b4 they did have a drop :) since there is no weeds in the field we fixed it with butterfly gardens thanks to all the gardeners who helped :)

This year I was lucky to see the butterfly land on the milkweed and I checked she laid eggs 2 soo cool!! that I seen that :) and I watched for them and seen 2 catterpillers a few days later :) I have been watching them as they gett fatter :) its funny watching the little one and big one one was picking on the smaller one and I was gonna move him but I thought no! I mess around with them and make it worst so survival of the fittest without my stepping in ;) and well they are both doing fine I probally would have accidently squished the big one and the little one would have gotten eaten soooo.... sometimes we have to leave things alone ;)

I wish I took pictures of the eggs and the little ones but I have taken a few and will get them up....I have been working hard and well sand and water near the camra isnt good so I will tey and catch up on the photos and videos but I wanted to talk about all this stuff b4 the pictures cuz all together it gets too much sooo one step at a time im gonna go get my hands dirty.....

Edited by wildedibles, 19 July 2019 - 08:00 AM.

#85 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 July 2019 - 09:23 AM

https://en.wikipedia...ki/Mud-puddling

#86 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 July 2019 - 10:35 PM

gallery_121976_1456_45558.jpg

I love these colors together :)

I found an easy way to resize my pictures so loading my threads will be faster....

#87 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 July 2019 - 12:36 PM

gallery_121976_1456_265616.jpg

A pond garden in progress at least now my bucket overflows into the pond, no loss of water if I accidentally leave the pump on... ;)

gallery_121976_1456_187083.jpg

in behind there is a sitting place with fly netting to keep the bugs down ... the pond has gold fish that eat the mosquito larva so that helps but....anyway its a nice hiding place we dont have many of them in our yard it being a side yard instead of a backyard....

gallery_121976_1456_251757.jpg

the weedy garden full of sunchoke hubby pulled it all out

the rabbits like the hay for bedding and they eat the sunchoke and it all can go in the compost too

but going threw the rabbits first adds fertilizer to the compost

the plants love it back that way

you can also leave the leaves on the top of the soil too weed and leave it adds nutes back and a bit of shade to the ground around a plant keeping the weeds back....

gallery_121976_1456_80319.jpg

we have buckets sunk into the ground under the wooden frame keeping critters out this has a water storage out of the way between the gardens so I want to get my garden back thats under the grass and weeds maybe I will plant some tomato clones in there??

the pepper garden is beside there next to the water but it gets little less sun here its nice to compare the spots maybe they like it in a certain space best and I will learn for years to come

gallery_121976_1456_59519.jpg

a new garden with peppers last year we made it and it had tomatoes in there they did good ...they were some cheap tomatoes and almost died I left them in the sun too long so I quickly dug them into this area that the weeds was killed off a tarp or something on there ....

peppers, celery, lettuce and parsley.

gallery_121976_1456_246768.jpg

Apache chilli peppers....some peppers will point up thats not a chili pepper growing trait its a tobasco pepper trait maybe its a mix of these 2 types cant remember the tobaco pepper family...?? name game ;)

gallery_121976_1456_503726.jpg

I got 4 of these for a buck I think?? cheap anyway couldnt resist

Ghost pepper at first I didnt buy this pepper but it was on sale for half price so like $5 .....can I clone this? cuz seeds of pepper dont grow with me  ?? but these plants are growing nicely ...the ones in the sunny garden has bigger fruit.... the loco peppers were like $2 I think my kid and a friend really likes hot peppers so getting kids to eat garden food is my priority when growing food....

gallery_121976_1456_296479.jpg

They are happy that I got this ghost pepper one of or the hottest peppers out there ;) ..... I think the loco pepper will be pretty hot they start of purple :) they look really cool as they ripen red I really wanna keep one of these purple ones alive I think I will try and clone .....

#88 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 July 2019 - 09:46 AM

Loco pepper

gallery_121976_1456_728533.jpg

my fav peas

gallery_121976_1456_186085.jpg

zuchinni I have a fruit on it now :)

gallery_121976_1456_400943.jpg

there is chamomile from seed there too

blue guatamalian squash its a winter squash that im trying for the first time this year

gallery_121976_1456_199364.jpg

some lettuce and nastrum flowers oh ya and a cucumber or 2 and more summer squash I have learned to love squash more then cuckes but I planted a couple anyway

I squeezed a couple of peppers in here too i got them for like 60cents for 4 plants...they were half dead but they are coming back for 60cents i decided to try them chilli pepper I think...

gallery_121976_1456_108034.jpg

gallery_121976_1456_538801.jpg

gallery_121976_1456_159979.jpg

gallery_121976_1456_452975.jpg

gallery_121976_1456_481420.jpg

nasturums cant remember the spelling but thats close...

planted by seed very easily done I like how they are sooo bright attracting more insects into the veggie gardens :)

gallery_121976_1456_120072.jpg

and you can eat them too :)even better just like my mallow I have a few volunteers that i do not pull out

the pea garden standing back looking at the yard

gallery_121976_1456_223669.jpg

you can see the sunchoke in the back of the garden we have a wore down path and garden where my hubby pulled it all out and they are in the back ground we keep them as rabbit food i have tried eating them and for now i cant seem to cook them a way that i like so my rabbits can eat them ;) at least i know what the plants have eaten

and i have more pictures to add of the other garden later i gotta go water a bit .....

#89 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 July 2019 - 03:00 AM

Ilike the summertime cycle of food I know where I get my rain water so I know what the fish are swimming in and what the rabbits are drinking... I know what the plants are drinking rain water I wiah I had edible fish but I know what they are eating ....and know what the rabits are eating ....then know what the dog and us will be eating and no im not eating my fish or dogs...or cat lol...
but you can see the cycle of life comming back to life where once it was all striped away a side yard full of grass hot and dry as well you get it ws not a very friendly yard a soccer feild has more life then what my yard had in it.....

Here is a video of a walk down my garden path.  I just fed and watered rain is in the forecast but it keeps moving further and further away.  So I had to use tap water I still put it threw the pond first to get all the nutrition the gold fish have to offer the garden

[Direct Link]

Edited by wildedibles, 26 July 2019 - 08:13 AM.

#90 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 July 2019 - 10:08 AM

Here is what me and my youngest boy found this morning....

[Direct Link]

gardening is sooo cool even tho this guy will eat my veg I will let him go again these butter... moths are sooo cool I always liked these and this caterpiller has the eye spots too sooo cool

[Direct Link]

2019-07-26 19.26.51c.jpg

2019-07-26 19.28.10.jpg

Edited by wildedibles, 27 July 2019 - 10:11 AM.

#91 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 July 2019 - 05:22 PM

Here is some more garden pictures b4 our rain we r getting right now

gallery_121976_1456_70992.jpg

this garden is having trouble getting going but I have stevia and a pepper and squash in here

gallery_121976_1456_314497.jpg

the other end to the garden above another squash its growing well and that red leaf stuff i like it alot canot remember the name??

oh a nastrum and broccoli its not doing much well lots of leaves....

oh and a ornamental sorrel I have eaten it b4 its high in that stuff that sorrel has its an acid?? names today sorry

gallery_121976_1456_375159.jpg

tomato beets and cellery

eggplant and this is b4 tieing the tomatoes up

gallery_121976_1456_574570.jpg

tomatoe a yellow and a red beef steak and some cherry type too

gallery_121976_1456_284491.jpg

peppers beets eggplant there

mallow, swiss chard

gallery_121976_1456_420049.jpg

gallery_121976_1456_84039.jpg

gallery_121976_1456_314127.jpg

gallery_121976_1456_593331.jpg

gallery_121976_1456_511239.jpg

kale and parsley is in there too

gallery_121976_1456_426400.jpg

this is the bed lined in that fabric see how it works it was hot at first I think I have enough mulch on it for now...

gallery_121976_1456_397576.jpg

gallery_121976_1456_547991.jpg

garlic, onion... oh ya a current bush now that yellow thing...

some mother wort and tansy and another flower weedy thing they r part of the hedge behind the garden and they are being attacked by red aphids.... they are not in the garden they want the weeds.....why I keep some around

this is my fav lettuce red oak leaf it was sold as plants but I have the seeds now

gallery_121976_1456_231590.jpg

the red and green salad bowl is good too and it does keep growing nicley if you pick a few leaves at a time like this oak :)

gallery_121976_1456_161574.jpg

the nastrums and swiss chard is getting eaten but the oak leaf lettuce there is not :) well by me I just picked a few leaves thats why they are smaller ;)

gallery_121976_1456_341868.jpg

I tried things in several places to see where they grow best :) make nottes and remember for next year the same as my combining of plants experiment to see what works...

gallery_121976_1456_21.jpg

fermented brew it has made my peas super sweet :)

snow peas and cucumbers and the other stuff i already mentioned

gallery_121976_1456_130562.jpg

and celery and parsley the celery is doing better in the gardens that get more shade the ones in the other garden are starting to curl their leaves gotta check them for bugs

• Juthro likes this

#92 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 July 2019 - 09:19 AM

Here is before and after I pruned and tied up my tomatoes... I will add a few pictures in a few days to show the growth of the garden after this rain we had ...all my buckets... any I could find are all full of water :)...

gallery_121976_1456_206499.jpg

gallery_121976_1456_373746.jpg

• Juthro likes this

#93 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 July 2019 - 09:27 AM

Here is some cacti pictures

gallery_121976_1456_148082.jpg

gallery_121976_1456_362983.jpg

gallery_121976_1456_416117.jpg

gallery_121976_1456_134022.jpg

gallery_121976_1456_155825.jpg

gallery_121976_1456_390550.jpg

gallery_121976_1456_201033.jpg

gallery_121976_1456_381135.jpg

gallery_121976_1456_295246.jpg

gallery_121976_1456_297835.jpg

gallery_121976_1456_346373.jpg

gallery_121976_1456_602360.jpg

gallery_121976_1456_260235.jpg

gallery_121976_1456_290108.jpg

• Juthro and ElPirana like this

#94 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 July 2019 - 11:09 PM

I am testing to see which plants like it where in the new gardens at diff areas of the yard .... The one spot is a little too shady for the peppers but they like the shade of the tomato plants growing well beside them but when the tomato suckers take over anywhere near a tomato is too close they can get huge I have had them take over a hole garden....

I am growing greens around other plants and I can see where the bugs like it best and which greens they do not like the red lettuce as much as the swiss chard I dont think we will have much of that the curly kale is doing well but the red one the bugs like it best.....does the curly one work good in green drinks??

peas suck in my yard maybe its a mineral lacking in my soil??  ...they did ok this year but its not much for what I planted ...I do suck at stringing them up early I do get some curling like they are puckerd

I planted the beet plants I got near the spinach and the spinach is around tomatoes for shade but also bugs do not like tomatoe leaves some do but for the most part the tomato leaf is poisonous like the potato leaf ...all my potatoes are small potatoes we do not find they come up from previous years and I let them grow around what ever is grown in there this is how I got the idea to mix it up for plant protection and cuz i got small gardens nd fitting everything in is a gamble

small gardens and that I am tired of planting straight gardens I used to come home everyday and look at my garden and think how can I do something different ...how can I make things more exciting :) small gardens mean that they can be raised and they can be reached from all sides you should be able to reach the middle so you can weed, feed and water...tend to what needs tending / harvesting you do not need foot paths....

now I do have some bigger area that have foot paths  cuz I planted a garden next to the hedge and the hedge is swallowing the garden so I put carpet / plastic etc down so I can kill the grass and plant the garden wider adding a foot print here and there where I can gget into this also keeps some people away from the center of the garden messing with some plants like the peppers and greens that are for supper not snacking like the salad bowl you can pick it all at once but I have noticed you can pick a few leaves at a time and it will grow back ...good for snacking after all but you get the picture ;)

some plants like to make a show no matter where planted they come out so people in the yard can see them like squash I have had volunteers come up and do better then they are doing in the garden the  long vine type do some nice climbing :) or across the lawn :) and the zucchini I have had some big and small plants big and small fruit but they are always showy  planting them next or near tomatoes ...they take up alot of room but near the tomatoes they have less pests and the squash flowers bring pollinators close to the tomatoes :) dill around squash protects the dill as they get going and soon the dill is taller they are big enough and push the way between the squash leaves not effecting the squash at all ..

I plant peas and this year tomatoes in the same spot for stringing them up easier planting them together night work ..... the way I did it fert goes to every plant similar I do try and keep the  flower stuff not right on the greens cuz I do not want them to flower I want the leaves so it gets coffee not fermented flower fert the tomaotes get it right on the leaves ...the pattern in the garden works pretty well if I look first b4 watering the fert in I can hit what I want even tho its a mix of both

...my ferts are not strong metals or chemicals I make a fermented fert from plants and weeds around the garden some that are in flower some weeds with long roots these bring metals up from deep in the ground and use it for their leaves and flowers so collect the leaves or flowers or roots anything that you would add to the compost over ripe fruit adds a fruity smell later on and this is good when watering the garden with it pineapple was nice ....and add some cabbage family leaf root etc something to start the ferment cabbage is a good gassy veggie and works well for this ...comfrey is added to help plants grow and form flowers I use the flowering tops of comfrey and other weeds cuz they used their own chemical plant stuff to make themselves flower so heres hoping the chem can be fermented out and added to the fert to make our plants flower ,,,dandelions are perfect tooo ;)  and comfrey helps us and plants heal great when the garden is getting going it helps build healthy cells ir something like that

and the sugar I add is just lots of molasses leave it for a week or two and add 1 / 10 th of it to a bucket of water ...like fill the bottom of the bucket 1/10 of the way up with fert and add 9/10 of the bucket with water and  add to the garden like you would normally water ....it actually helps squash last longer  without mildew on them (here no matter what your squash will get it the moldy stuff cuz it gets wet and freezes) but they last longer and look more alive then other squash around no probs giving them a follar feed

I got to check out my Shepard purse plants I seen this in a video that they eat microscopic insects for their nutrition?? very cool I never knew this plant was a carnivorous plant I eat the seed pods regularly for a sore tummy with diarrhea they are the best or just a sore sour belly ...   the seed pods secrete a toxin that attracts insects but is toxic to these insects and the seed pod absorb the insect maybe after the toxin digests it for them a bit??

(This plant might be the answer to some microscopic insects in the garden inside or out??)) very cool grow it between the flats in the green house as weeds near the bottom edge where nothing grows very well cuz it cannot grow high in the round tunnel greenhouse ah let it grow along the edge in any green house it wouldnt bug you for space it grows very skinny but branches but it all above parts are skinny the leaves are near the base and small it can grow in shade or sun... likes growing in the lawn or septic bed under porches....in dog runs etc.... maybe where the micro bugs are more plentiful....who says you cannot learn what your soils like by looking at the weeds that grow there ;)

#95 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 July 2019 - 03:59 PM

This is what I did in the garden today

[Direct Link]

I had sex with a flower

[Direct Link]

I used to be afraid of bees but not anymore my hubby showed me how to pet the bumble bees they are really not harmful as long as you nto bugging them too much

Edited by wildedibles, 29 July 2019 - 04:00 PM.

#96 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 August 2019 - 03:38 PM

Can you eat a winter squash early... I don't think this one will make it that long it's sooo big the weight is pulling the vine down.... every day I have to adjust the tension...well almost every day....hubby said it's pulling on the small tree I attached it to...

It's a gutamalian blue banana squash.... I find spitfire in amin...

#97 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:32 PM

Here's the picture of the pin cherry trees

cherry 01.jpg cherry 02.jpg cherry 03.jpg cherry 04.jpg cherry 05.jpg cherry 06.jpg IMG_20190810_151510.jpg

#98 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 August 2019 - 04:52 PM

Here is some garden pictures
These are the aphids I've been watching so far they are just eating this one plant but they are getting wings now I'm gonna get rid of them cut and put in a garage bag....or maybe the camp fire....

IMG_20190817_170818.jpg

IMG_20190817_171145.jpg

Ok having internet issues be back later...

#99 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 August 2019 - 04:57 PM

Here maybe I can show you the gutamalian blue banana squash
I think I'm going to try and eat it if it's not tasting to good we could give it to the rabbits....
IMG_20190817_123001.jpg

#100 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 August 2019 - 06:21 AM

Here is a couple more pictures of the aphids I cut the branches into a bucket and dumped the branches/stems into a garbage bags for garbage day....placed the pail upside down in the woody compost pile away from the garden....the aphids did not go on the tansy only on the one flower and mother wort this is why I keep a few weedy flowers around the bugs go for the native weed and not the garden....just collect them all at once.

IMG_20190818_055704.jpg IMG_20190818_055617.jpg

This is the first female flowers comming on my paty pan summer squash
IMG_20190817_164459.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!