165 replies to this topic

#141 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,346 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 October 2019 - 08:44 AM

Great looking garden WildE :)    We've had a couple of killing frosts here in the last 2 weeks, down to about 25F, so pretty much everything in our garden is dead now.   Got most of it harvested already, but still have carrots to get in before the ground freezes for winter.

Anyway, thanks for keeping up a great thread, keep rocking it lady :)

I've been thinking about you lately buddy I've subscribed to a few YouTube channels about Homesteading in Alaska and I've been thinking is my buddy doing this in his garden already... I think one just moved to Alaska maybe a couple years there.. I can't remember but I will post a couple videos maybe you can get chatting with them... Alaska is a totally different world, you need to find different ways to grow sometimes ;)
  • crazy1 and Juthro like this

#142 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,346 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 October 2019 - 06:27 AM

Here this one popped up this morning easy to remember

[Direct Link]

• Juthro likes this

#143 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,346 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 October 2019 - 04:53 AM

[Direct Link]

This family is not from Alaska but they are one of my fav farm familys on YouTube

[Direct Link]

Edited by wildedibles, 23 October 2019 - 05:26 AM.

• Juthro likes this

#144 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,989 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 October 2019 - 01:41 PM

Nice stuff WildE.   Those folks from Willow have a very nice garden set up, and I also like their chicken run.  

Through I have to question why the guy feels it necessary to wear a glock in a combat holster while putting up fencing.  I actually see that kind of behavior quite a bit up here.  Some folks think they need to wear all the props to play the part of the rugged frontier homesteader.   I strongly support their right to own, and use firearms, but that doesn't mean you need to wear a hog-leg in the grocery store.  

(sorry about the rant :)

• crazy1, wildedibles, Moonless and 1 other like this

#145 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,346 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 October 2019 - 05:44 AM

Lol no prob... Some out there when I was in North British Columbia they were scared of bears especially if they just moved there ;) I just used the buddy system many people walked with a dog I even do that if I walk alone here we only have black Bear but I do not want to surprise a bear...

There is a few other channels but I can't remember them all yet I will post when I can find out who lives where I added so many homesteading channels lately I have to get to know them all

Here is a family I adore down to earth people

[Direct Link]

I have to add this talk to its
Do this to increase your health when growing your food in your garden

[Direct Link]

• Juthro likes this

#146 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,346 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 October 2019 - 09:22 AM

This is the coolest idea for prolonging salad green gardening check it out

[Direct Link]

• Juthro and Moonless like this

#147 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,346 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 October 2019 - 04:59 PM

Hey Juthro we need to put away the tarps and grow here... Florida food forest this is a good one

[Direct Link]

When its cold I dream of warmer places... Just pretend the wood heat is the sun

#148 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,989 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 October 2019 - 06:23 PM

LOL :) 

As much as the cold can get to my old bones, I'm pretty sure the heat and humidity of Florida in the summer would kill me outright!

I'll keep our long dark winters, and they can keep their hurricanes.  :)

• crazy1, wildedibles and Moonless like this

#149 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,346 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 October 2019 - 05:03 PM

I agree the big old snakes and spiders too but it's nice to dream by the wood stove lol

#150 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,346 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 October 2019 - 07:04 AM

This is getting to the end of my garden this year... We still have beets and carrots to pull out and some mallow seeds to put in but for the most part we are done... I have some pretty frosty photos to show you

IMG_20191028_074128.jpg

IMG_20191020_225519.jpg

IMG_20191020_225442.jpg

IMG_20191020_225324.jpg

IMG_20191020_225219.jpg

IMG_20191020_225053.jpg

IMG_20191020_224943.jpg

IMG_20191020_224851.jpg

OK there is still the hedge to finish mulching but the potatoes and garlic is planted.... It's more rabbit work to finish and the indoor garden to get cleaned up and my front porch needs a door.... Lots of garden work but not really in the garden.... Hopefully I can get cought up on all the work around here

#151 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,989 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 October 2019 - 01:50 PM

I hear you WildE, lots of work this time of year.  Racing against old man winter :)

We are running that race here as well.  We spent yesterday processing tomatoes into tomato sauce,  smoking, and dehydrating peppers for chili powder, dehydrating apples,  and chopping peppers and onions for hot pepper relish.   We worked hard to grow the little bit of produce that we get, and you've got to work hard again to put it up so that its not wasted.

Today will be another load of peppers through the smoker, and cooking and canning the hot pepper relish.  Probably wont get more then that done today, as I have to go into town and get some things, but at least its still a day with some progress.  It seems the world moves forward with or without you, so standing still is actually loosing ground :)

• crazy1, wildedibles and Moonless like this

#152 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,346 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 October 2019 - 04:01 AM

I agree I will take getting small bit done than nothing... Waiting 4 the cold rains to stop so we can get the snow roof on the rabbits... Might have to wait a few days but we can get some garden work done maybe

Ya growing them and processing everything takes so much work but we are doing it the way we want to eat it... At least we know what goes into all of it...
  • crazy1 likes this

#153 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,346 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 January 2020 - 06:56 PM

Here is a couple videos to share what I'm growing now well some of it and memories of summer garden pictures

[Direct Link]

[Direct Link]

• Juthro and wharfrat like this

#154 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 408 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:51 PM

Im amazed you've been able to grow that squash. Looking really good.

• wildedibles likes this

#155 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,346 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:55 AM

Im amazed you've been able to grow that squash. Looking really good.

Yes thanks very much

summer memories I grew 3 on one plant I blame it on the rabbits lol... This plant was in the rabbits yard with my weed ooops my late weed started molding cuz squash will eventually mold oh well I will plant it some where else next year

It got xtra rabbit poop and got way bigger than the other plant in poor soil it had 1 squash still but the other one's were huge more to come on this plant it was a star... The one weed plant it got stressed out so much it went hermi and finished early and wow it was a monster a star too... It got xtra rabbit poop and water too cuz it was stressed and it went crazy... It was 5 foot and I bent her over... Dogs kept pulling her out a bit by mistake but her arms were back up to 5 feet so she would have been like 10 feet high maybe if I let her go that tall she would have been waving above my 8 foot fence at all my neighbours lol
  • Moonless likes this

#156 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,346 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 January 2020 - 06:06 AM

My one squash I picked in that video was the one I pollinated myself cus the one male flower on same plant was broke dead and the other plant same kind was way too far away behind the fence
So I took a qtip and pollinated it myself a bee showed me how lol I have a video of that probably in here too lol

Anyway I know that the seeds will be this plant... I grow other squash but this one finished early nothing was in flower then so I should be good for seed

But 1 squash will give me lots of seed anyone in Canada interested in seed for this squash let me know pm me I will be happy to share some

My rabbits bedding is great compost and the flowers and leaves are perfect rabbits food all summer long :) I love the life circle in my yard

I'm just getting started sharing my memories this summer thanks for checking out my garden fun
  • Moonless likes this

#157 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,346 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 February 2020 - 10:01 PM

OK I was asked to share this video for a chance to win some seeds... I just started watching this you tube guy start from seed Homestead I believe the name anyway he's got seeds for sale as well... I believe he's in Canada? Pretty.... Anyway I will be putting a new garden video up soon and some pictures since I found out the trick to uploading from my phone now... Updates should come with instructions lol

[Direct Link]

Something to watch while I try to edit some videos lol
  • wharfrat likes this

#158 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,346 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2020 - 08:17 PM

Here is a video for my Grandma Una that just passed away Thursday... I know she will see it now in heaven cuz a buddy you tuber his Dad just passed away and was going to pipe you tube up to heaven so he could watch...

[Direct Link]

Wild flowers and flowers from my garden all being held still in the wind as if I'm holding giving them to her as a young girl
  • Skywatcher and wharfrat like this

#159 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,346 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2020 - 08:03 AM

Plant seeds not trash... More on next video

[Direct Link]

#160 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,346 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2020 - 01:16 PM

I was in the frozen garden planting milkweed the fun way :)

[Direct Link]

• Skywatcher likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!