#2 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,060 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 June 2018 - 04:29 PM

Here is cool DIY sugar powered rocket I think you'll enjoy Microbe.

[Direct Link]

• coorsmikey, Alder Logs, Microbe and 2 others like this

#3 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,365 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 June 2018 - 04:30 PM

I think we had a thread about this already, I couldn't find it though. It's prolly buried in the wtf?! thread.

BURN IT CLEAN!

#4 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,060 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 June 2018 - 04:33 PM

I think we had a thread about this already, I couldn't find it though. It's prolly buried in the wtf?! thread.

BURN IT CLEAN!

I remember it too, but I have no idea where it's buried. 

#5 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,351 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:44 PM

[Direct Link]

That is bad ass! No more bottle rocket fights! Catchers gear and homemade rockets fights! Amazing it went 2300 foot. I bet you could add a black powder charge at the end and get it to pop! Im so making one of these!!!
  • Juthro likes this

#6 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,351 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:52 PM

[Direct Link]

My cousin and i took a 3 foot 4" diameter pipe and drilled a tiny hole in it and inserted a fuse and closed then inserted gun powder and packed it similar to How you would a muzzle loader then we screwed the cap on and took it to the middle of the bean field then ignited and ran like hell. It was as big as i thought it would be but it left a crater large enough to piss the farmer off. My cousin and i had to fill it in with dirt that we had to carry over in 5 gallin buckets. Were talking 100 yards at least from the fence line.

I think it wasnt as big as it should have been because a lot of the pressure was able to escape and it acted more like fountain style firework for a few seconds before exploding. I was kind of shocked because black powder for muzzle loaders are supposed to be fast burning i thought.

Stupid and dangerous i know but at least we didnt risk anyone else saftey and it was only our dumbasses as Red Forman from That 70's Show lol

I wonder if it needs to be 100% airtight to get the explosion. Its been so long since i owned or fired a muzzleloader but i thought the caps were always kind of loose. But if they were there would be some backwards discharge i would think. Im a amateur pyrotechnics guy and have some of the best back yard firework displays on the planet!

Edited by Microbe, 14 June 2018 - 08:54 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#7 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,212 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:31 PM

"Just make sure you have the right permits, location, and common sense ..... "

Yeah.  Well.  I don't have any of those, but I remember buying fucking "Estes" rocket motors from the toy store at the mall ... 3 for twelve bucks or more - and that's in 80's dollars ...

Damn you gotta love the internet some days.  Shrooms AND rocket motors?  Forget about it. 

I'm gonna launch my cat tomorrow.  All I need is the wooden dowel, and I'm set.

Back to the OP ...

Too bad they didn't attach the CEO of Coca-Cloaca to that thing - the world would be a slightly better place.

:)

soliver

• Microbe likes this

#8 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,060 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:23 PM

In case your new to making homemade bottle rockets, you want the center balance point of the assembled rockets (rocket and stick) weight to be be within an inch of the rear of the motor.  I just use an ink pen to rest the rocket on to check the balance.

This will give it the aerodynamics to fly straight with its one fin (the dowel).   So you adjust the weight by changing the size (dia) and length of the dowel, or by applying modeling clay to the front of the motor.   Too short of a fin, or a fin with a lot of curve to it can also cause some erratic flight paths.

And if you make these be careful, they are really quite powerful, and are good at starting fires.  Also, the only difference between a bomb and a rocket is that a rocket had all its force directed in one direction.   If the casing fails and bursts, PVC shrapnel is dangerous.  Just give them the respect they deserve and you'll have fun and  wont get hurt. 

With all that safety shit said, home made rockets are cool :)

• Microbe likes this

#9 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,212 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 June 2018 - 08:38 AM

Ta ha ha ha ... Coca Cloaca ... I crack myself up.  Drunk posting is the best!

Juthro - just to be sure - the 'rear' is the part the fire shoots out of? 

I bought two bottles of stump remover a few years ago when I saw a youtube vid on making bombs or something, and I thought "no way they'll let this shit stay on the shelf."  But there it is, and that exploding target powder is still available online (just to flush out the terrorists, no doubt) ...

I used to have a coil of cannon fuse somewhere; it'll be a miracle if I can still find it ... bought it on vacation in SC.  Where's a good spot to find it now (I'm guessing amazon ..)

many thanks,

soliver

• Juthro and Microbe like this

#10 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,060 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:30 AM

Juthro - just to be sure - the 'rear' is the part the fire shoots out of?

Yes, unless of course you glued it to the stick upside down..... 

Or if you left air pockets in the fuel mix, it will explode, and then it shoots fire out from all sides, but just for a second or two.....

As far as fuse goes, take some black powder and some stranded cotton (or other natural fiber) twine and make your own.  Its a supper easy.

You add a little water to a couple of tablespoons of black powder and make a paste.  You then work the string into the paste, making sure to work it between the woven strands.  Once its coated well, hang it where it will get good air circulation and let it dry completely.

Easy peasy, and it works very well. 

Estes electric igniters also work well with a 9v battery and some speaker wire. 

Or so I've been told....

Edited by Juthro, 15 June 2018 - 11:35 AM.

• Soliver and Microbe like this

#11 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,212 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 June 2018 - 12:24 PM

I'm done bowing down to the mega-corporate model rocket empire - fuck Estes and the rocket they rode in on ... those damn igniters used to damn near be as expensive as the damn rockets ... damn it.

Black powder is something I don't have laying about, but there a reloading / gun store down in the big city.

When I was a kid, we'd load aluminum arrows with FFF grade gunpowder, swap the head for a .22 shell, tape a BB on the front, and shoot them at a large, hard target.  The best thing we had was the local high school (after hours).  The resulting explosion was a real kick.  Sometimes the local 50 would drive by and we'd run.  The things kids will do for attention!

Nowadays, they'd put us under the prison and we'd make national news as terrorists.  Back then, we were just blowing shit up because cell phones hadn't been invented yet and having ten fingers was considered a luxury of the hyper-entertained rich kids whose parents invested in a Beta-Max instead of a slip-n-slide, which was much more painful than the commercials made it look, and only good until the well ran dry.

I'll have to work on this while mama isn't looking.  She's very patient with my many odd hobbies, but she may draw the line at WMD's (women!) ...

Thanks for the tips,

soliver

• Microbe likes this

#12 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,060 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 June 2018 - 12:51 PM

Back in the day, I used to be quite the rocketry nut.   To the point that I was casting my own solid fuel motors out of Polybutadiene acrylonitrile (PBAN) mixed with large amounts of powdered aluminum and Potassium perchlorate.   

Its a castable epoxy that is also a fuel.  Once its set it can be drilled and machined.   Its a bit expensive, but to give you an idea of its power, PBAN is what they use in the solid fuel boosters for the space shuttle.

If your into this kind of thing you might enjoy looking over Firefoxs' web sight.  They supply all kinds of cool rocketry, and pyro supplies.  Though since 9/11, laws have been changed and you can't get the good stuff from them like you could back in the 80's and 90's.

http://www.firefox-fx.com/

PS  When you go to get black powder, they are probably going to try and sell you Pyrodex.  Its a cleaner burning black powder substitute that is safer to handle and has better shelf life then real black powder. 

It works just fine for making fuse. 

Or you could use some of your stump remover, mix in powdered charcoal, and sulfur and make your own black powder...   There are also ways to extract potassium nitrate from decomposing organic matter (like leaves or compost), for when they dont sell you stump remover anymore.  Did I ever mention I used to be really into pyrotechnic stuff and rocketry.... lol.

Edited by Juthro, 15 June 2018 - 01:06 PM.

• Soliver and Microbe like this

#13 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,212 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 June 2018 - 08:51 AM

Damn, McGyver!

Didn't know you were a damn rocket-scientist ... that's cool stuff.  I was into the model rocketry - I guess it took the place of a male figure while me mum was bringing me up - Freud would have a field day with that one  :)

Firefox has quite the selection - makes ya wonder how these places pop up "I'm a wholesaler of pyrotechnic ingredients..."

thanks for the info -

soliver

• Juthro and Microbe like this

#14 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,351 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 June 2018 - 12:29 PM

[Direct Link]

• Soliver, Juthro, Cuboid and 1 other like this

#15 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 562 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:59 PM

It's all Fun and Games tell someone losses an eye and the ATF  uses the RICO  Act to disappear  you for 100 days of interrogation at the Military Prison in Leavenworth Ks.

No phone call to MOM  or bail for You ! HA HA

• Microbe likes this

#16 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,212 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 June 2018 - 12:41 PM

I've got several of those big bottles and (of course) a variety of ethanol and wood grain ethanol alternatives ... hmm ...

soliver

• Microbe likes this

#17 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,351 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 July 2018 - 03:17 PM

[Direct Link]

• Myc likes this

#18 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,351 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 August 2018 - 08:31 AM

This is falls under science in my opinion. Huge feat of engineering for sure!

[Direct Link]

• Myc likes this

#19 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,485 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 August 2018 - 10:02 AM

I missed the posting from July 29th regarding chemistry sets. 

Laughing out loud!  I actually had a couple of those sets.

It was only after joining this site that I noticed that children are no longer offered such chemistry sets. 

I know there was a danger factor involved with these "toys" but I think the greater concern was that all young boys saw the potential for the manufacture of explosives. ;)

Notice now that chemistry only exists in "school" - where the narrative and the thinking are carefully guided. 

• Alder Logs and Microbe like this

#20 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,069 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 August 2018 - 10:23 AM

My parents were far ahead of the curve.  I wanted a chemistry set and a bb gun too.  It wasn't going to happen.  

• Microbe likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!