• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Cryptowonder90

Cryptowonder90

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 12:25 PM

Hello All. Im pretty new here. I have an indoor poppy garden goin strictly as experiment. Ive been creeping these threads for a while now looking for advice and knowhow. I started my journey back in April and boy has it been fun. They are totally doable indoors. I lucked up and found some of the GMO Special Afghan Pink Album Galania poppy seeds. 55-60 days and done. Had a lot of failures in the beginning, but immediately realized what they were and got it down. Plenty of MJ grows under my belt. Have a profound knowledge of indoor growing techniques. These are new. Honestly, they grow pretty well just being left alone. Know training techniques or pruning. Found that they love crappy soil really well, with immediate response to fertilizer. I have no idea what people are talking about when they say transplanting them are difficult. Maybe its just because of the seeds that I got, but I literally left a seedling maybe 3 weeks old out side on concrete, bare roots over night. Next morning plant still had form so I planted it in a planter outside and its growing lol. Keep in mind that plant went from 70 degrees inside to 90 plus right now in the Florida sun. Which also disproves the theory that they don't tolerate high temps that well either. That thing is thriving more outside now than it was inside. I know, however, that a seedling under 3 weeks cannot handle that. I tried and they died. But at a certain point they can. My mark is 3 weeks and then move outside. Im not sure which method is gonna prove better. I have 5 outside that all were started inside under T8's. And they are thriving. And I have about 30 inside. All in 10" 3.5 gallon pots. Have yet to have flowers, but they will be here soon. I have pictures and will post them here shortly. Just have to transfer from phone. The soil composition is crap soil amended with large amount of perlite, vermiculite, and composted cow manure. The crap soil is a combination of light clay fill dirt, with Floridas naturally sandy soil. They love it. Drains freely and holds the right amount of moisture. Im thinking about adding some MH to the mix, and HPS when its time. But they are doing perfectly fine with the T8s. I started them out in trays with only 3 inches of soil and when I transplanted them I obliterated the roots, this is why I say this particular strain can withstand the damage as long as main taproot remains intact. The peat pots work for some, but I tried that and it just wasn't working for me. They dried out consistently and took to much water. When in a dome, mold took over. I just used an open tray and put dirt in and voila. I have over 60 plants now. They love regular manure compost tea. Given it to them twice with great results. Im going to fertilize again with flowering NPK ratio in about half the outside and half the inside to compare results. I appreciate everyone that published their knowledge and experience here. This is a culmination of a year of reading mainly member Phaeton and SheepHerders posts lol. Thanks all you guys. When I get back ill post some pictures of what I got going on. I look forward to talking to all you guys and gals. 

• Skywatcher and Somniferos like this

#2 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,690 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 June 2018 - 11:57 PM

Nice to meet you Crypto.

Looking forward to some pics. Next time you post, please have some mercy on these aged eyes and toss in some paragraph breaks, and some line breaks. I could barely get threw that big old mass of text.

I'm not familiar with GMO poppies, but I am curious. I do not find non modified poppies hard to grow, but never had reason to grow them indoors.

Keep us updated.

• onediadem likes this

#3 Cryptowonder90

Cryptowonder90

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 12:41 PM

Dually notes. It is hard to remember sometimes the "common courtesy" rules of online forums. I will keep it in mine. I really started this project to see if it could be done. It doesn't seem that hard and poppies in my experience are generally easy to grow.

I have 30 plants total growing under 6 t8s. Got a combination of 3000k and 6500k with a couple of 4100k in the mix. They seem to be loving it. Tomorrow I plan on adding a 400watt MH above the growing area and will put atleast 3 of the t8 fixtures on the wall as suplemental light. Would like to keep three hanging and move them accordingly.

This is the third batch that finally made it through germ. First one died from a missed watering and the second died from mild. This batch however has had its growth held back due to the shallow tray I used for germ. I let them grow in it for too long. I feel they won't produce as well as they should due to not being fully vegged to their full capacity. Which is why the next batch will be sowed directly into the 10" pots. I'm not to concerned with the soil drying out because I've got this soil amended pretty goood and it retains perfect moisture for germ, with a watering once every two days.

A main reason I would like this project to go as intended, is I would like to veg them inside and flower outside. In fl it's too hot most of the year to germ outside but they take off indoors. I've moved three outside after begging for 2 weeks just to see how they would handle it. That was four days ago. They are tolerating the heat fine. However with not being begged fully inside, I think this fl summer sun will likely make it bolt prematurely.

These pics are from about a week ago. The empty space has since been filled in, and plants are filling out. I would love to know any suggestions or advice. This is my first time and wasn't really planning on such a huge success. Mainly doing it for seed purposes. The next cycle is the one I will get to culminate all of my experience into.

Edited by Cryptowonder90, 17 June 2018 - 12:44 PM.

#4 Cryptowonder90

Cryptowonder90

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 12:44 PM

Trying to figure out how to upload more than one picture lol.

#5 Cryptowonder90

Cryptowonder90

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 12:45 PM

And they aren't showing up. Man I feel old when I can't seem to properly upload pictures to a forum smh

#6 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 8,022 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2018 - 01:03 PM

Don’t forget to select EE8447B3-B13E-457C-8EF0-98590ADF5130.jpeg before hitting reply.

https://mycotopia.ne...ly-to-the-site/

Edited by coorsmikey, 17 June 2018 - 01:05 PM.

• Skywatcher likes this

#7 Cryptowonder90

Cryptowonder90

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 05:02 PM

Oh. It didn't appear as a executable button on my phone lol. Thanks for that. But here they are. Like I said these are a week and half old or so. They are bigger now. Really appreciating the bigger pots. Also, they love light doses of composted cow manure tea 2x a week. I usually have to water them about 4 times a week. Being every other day, just how it falls that week.

Attached Thumbnails

• EEF703F6-5AD5-4759-9CDF-334A27C17E8B.jpeg
  • AE1A27F0-8EF2-4BCB-8625-27B85F0710EC.jpeg
  • 670E2C30-AAE0-4978-B483-8B70F4989400.jpeg
  • 8233F61A-919B-4F28-A484-6DAF892EB442.jpeg
  • B0F9E9E3-8CB2-4B1E-83AA-D563F867CBC8.jpeg
  • D7F60B7E-5B2C-42E9-A1B9-CCF5A4ED9BC7.jpeg
  • 5CAD0A90-EB7E-43AE-B1F5-069F380E115C.jpeg
  • 6B7D3957-CB20-4784-9074-D82E0E4932FF.jpeg

• Juthro and Somniferos like this

#8 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,278 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2018 - 05:05 PM

You could crowd them a little more without harming them. Maybe three per pot that size. If you want to.  More flowers = more pods

#9 Cryptowonder90

Cryptowonder90

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 07:39 AM

See that's what I was figuring too. I have about 4 pots with two in each just as a comparison to see they will compare with the single plant pots. My thing isn't I want these to produce to there max capacity. Was wanting to give them the most room. Seen plants get upwards of 30 pods per plant. I'm not sure if these GMO poppies produce that much per plant. Can't find too much about it. I would imagine since they are 60 day seeds that there wouldn't be that much.

Either way, next round will be much better.

#10 Cryptowonder90

Cryptowonder90

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 07:40 AM

I will post more pics today. Updated pics to show growth.

#11 Cryptowonder90

Cryptowonder90

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 02:06 PM

I am now adding 9 more pots to the area. As an experiment of course. I want to see in comparison how the grow with 2 in each pot. Everywhere I have read says that to give them as much space as you can if you want the biggest and best. I would like to see if it makes any difference in a pot that size. 

Im going to stay with this thread until its completion. At least through this batch, and the next one. Open to improvement of any kind from people that have had success indoors. Its looking like I'm heading that way, I just have to be patient. 

#12 Cryptowonder90

Cryptowonder90

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 12:15 PM

huh....is their just not many people active on this forum? Im hoping to find more people with similar experience and seek their advice. Oh well...I just keep at it until I hear from someone lol

#13 Somniferos

Somniferos

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 05:54 PM

There are those that are listening. I did grow the afghan special indoors but its not really genetically modified. You could try colchicine to induce polyploidy for mutations if you wanted, i may try that with cannabis at some point.

They grow relative to the amount of space they've been given and they're capable of flowering at an inch of growth. I think the ratio of alkaloids would be greater in a volume of small plants than a fair sized individual pod in most cases but i dont think it really makes that much difference unless you're looking to collect poppy tears.

I have a patch of seedlings growing outside and with the depth and quality of the soil i don't think the pods will be any larger than average although they're spaced so close together i will have to do some culling later. Yikes!

Personally I'm growing poppies to strain for different varietals of the pods and flowers for ornamental value. I liked the idea of growing a lettuce-like plant that has been man-made into a 'medicinal' drug cultivar historically, I think that that's quite novel. I'll try to share some photos soon!

Frankly Opiates make me nauseous, i dont think it is a good idea to mess with them. Our cells have endorphin receptors but they also have dynorphin receptor function (kappa opioid receptors), menthol from peppermint has weak affinity to kappa opioid receptors, Salvinorin (from Salvia Divinorum) has potent affinity to these receptors. There is an indistinguishable balance. I'm not arrogant enough to think that i could have control. I'm growing just a small patch in the spring, not a continual supply. I don't think its a good idea to mess with opiates but if it is only a small garden patch of poppies i do not see the harm.

Have you heard of benzos like valium and ambien? The precursor to opiates is Benzyl-isoquinoline in opium poppy. Opiates depress the nervous system and i don't necessarily want that.

Edited by Somniferos, 19 June 2018 - 09:51 PM.

• av8or likes this

#14 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 8,022 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 June 2018 - 09:53 PM

huh....is their just not many people active on this forum? Im hoping to find more people with similar experience and seek their advice. Oh well...I just keep at it until I hear from someone lol

I have been lurking and watching. At the same time didn’t want to rain on anyone’s parade. But I’m afraid I don’t have much to contribute on indoor poppy growth. I have done it successfully and seen done many times over the years. I also understand the gratification one can have by nurturing and caring for an indoor garden as I am one to indulge myself. I have just found that I can literally throw seed outside in February or March and forget about them, in June and July I am wishing I hadn’t because harvesting them is such a pain without the proper machinery.
I guess my reluctance to add comments and choose to just enjoy reading you success comes from, what exactly beside gratification of growing something indoors do you plan on walking away with here. At what point is the energy consumption worth what you will get with 60 individual poppies? The amount of seed that can be produced will be substantially more than what was used to start, maybe for next years outdoor crop? I have found that I can literally buy 5lbs of poppy seed for $30 US dollars. That is way more poppy seed tea that I get from 60 plants. I have just found that no matter how pretty the flowers are, that you literally need a lot more plants to get me through the year for the medicinal value I seek, which is on occasion.
Besides for the sake of science and learning, indoor cultivation of poppy is just not efficient use of energy for what the return is. I am still making tea with a 5lb bag of seed purchased a year an half ago and have planted two outdoor crops that will last me years after sharing with friends. Year around vegetables and a bunch of cactus occupy the space under my lights now, the outdoor poppy that require no effort on my part gives me more than I could possibly do any with.
  • onediadem and av8or like this

#15 Cryptowonder90

Cryptowonder90

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 08:05 AM

Hey guys, sorry it took a minute to get back to you. Been busy as heck with work and everything. Yea I'm not really sure either if they are truly genetically modified. I mean, you can do prude methods of genetic modification without a lab. True genetic modification requires a lab, so I doubt that they are truly modified. Either way, I have another batch going of regular somniferum and the afghan special is triple in size already. Now the question is will they produce more than one pod. I see people getting over 25 on a plant. haha. I would like to get to that range. It will take work. 

I am well aware that a huge yield probably won't happen indoors. When I got the seeds, is was already too late to direct sow outside due to it being so hot. So I figured I would start it out indoors and see how this strain handles and what conditions they prefer. Also, the main purpose of indoor cult. is to obtain more seeds. I only got a few and I need more so late on this year I can throw them out when it gets cold. We only have a small window here I would suppose. The more the better. Ill also be able to figure out if I want to continue with this strain. 60 days is cool and all, but if it only pops one bolt I would rather go with the longer growing strain if it puts out a high number of pods. 

Overall, I really put hardly any effort into this project. The hardest part was amending the soil. It really is a set and forget type of plant. Unlike MJ who loves to be pruned, cropped, topped, and trained......it seems that these just LOVE to be left alone. Honestly. I water about 2 times a week. Raise lights at about the same frequency as of now. So I'm not really putting a lot of energy into it. And if by energy you mean power, all of the lights combined only runs me 11 dollars a month. 12 tubes at 32w each. So all in all, I'm loving it and its not time consuming. I will post pics today when I get home. 

• coorsmikey likes this

#16 Somniferos

Somniferos

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 03:17 PM

I've seen them under Dual-arc HPS with 13 hours of light per day because i had some other plants growing with them. If they've got a lot of vegetation i think its likely you'll get more than one pod if bolting conditions are right. They flower with over 12 hours of light if I'm not mistaken the light cycle outdoors will be declining in the fall I'm not sure that you would have an harvest. I've planted mine like late may, Actually i'm not sure mine will grow very much before flowering happens i'm afraid thats supposed to be next month and they're still in the vegetative seedling stage. I had 2 patches, one sprouted, the other dried out because the soil were too loose.

One plant was 5" and after the first pod was about a week old a new one sprouted out from some of the lateral vegetation that was left over. The photo is of a different plant.

sml_gallery_154951_2_1722764.jpg

Edited by Somniferos, 22 June 2018 - 03:48 PM.

#17 Sade

Sade

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 420 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 June 2018 - 12:22 AM

Poppies are very beautiful but too dangerous of a road for me to ever venture down.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
  • Somniferos likes this

#18 Cryptowonder90

Cryptowonder90

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 01:48 PM

Very beautiful. A member in this group named Phaeton has some serious success indoors. I read he got over 200 pods off of 4 or 5 plants. Actually I think it was less than that. He posted pictures as well. So I know it can be done. And if he can get that many off of those few plants....imagine have 30-40 going all producing that well. Well over 1000 pods. He used rock wool for the growing medium if I'm not mistaken. I still haven't added the MH light yet, but I definitely will be before they bolt. They love light and that man has lighting down to a literal science. When these plants flower, spring-early summer, they are using that blue ash spectrum. And when germinating the orangeish light is what the sun is producing. Its reverse of MJ lol. 

Now I'm not sure what effect it would have on the plant as in performance wise if you changed it up and used a combination of both. Im using a combination of both ends of the spectrum right now and going to add more blue light with the MH when it bolts. Im hoping that this strain/plant has an active photoperiod?? that will enable it to stay in its Veg stage until I'm satisfied with how big they are and change the light cycle. I haven't found any information on that subject at all. But boy are they getting big fast. Today I'm giving a compost tea drink to all of them and see how they respond now that they have finally got settled in their new homes. 

#19 Cryptowonder90

Cryptowonder90

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 01:49 PM

and sade....the actual pods are a lot different from its cousins.

#20 Somniferos

Somniferos

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 06:18 PM

Plants reflect the light that they don't want to use. If they're blue they're reflecting blue light in favor of red and vice versa, This is why plants are the color green. Red light is helpful for stretching/flowering and blue light induces tighter internode spacing/vegetative growth. The mixed spectrum is a good balance.

Edited by Somniferos, 23 June 2018 - 07:13 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!