Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Been a while, but I'm back on...w/ a new grow.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 PirateFarmer

PirateFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 619 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 05:13 PM

I just got in a week a go, 'finally!' Satori & Eight Miles High from Mandala, through Attitude Seeds...plus two feminized freebies = 1) Gorilla Glue #4 x WW and another I can't remember at this time. But I've got a new laptop (no more public computers), and a good camera, so I can/will be able to post updates on me grow. 

To start, I planted them all on Monday, 6/11, in my own compost, and added 1 1/2 cups of organic blood meal & 1 1/2 cups of bat guano in the 5-gallon bucket of compost. Still waiting on the first signs of germination, which should be within next few days. These will go into the ground where I recently moved the goat shelter from, adding more compost (looking for higher phosphorus bat guano - the other is the higher nitrogen type). No more blood meal, methinks - should be plenty, all told. Its late getting started, but the seeds just arrived, and its been a rainy/mild Spring, with only highs in the 80s, so far. I've got 30% shade cloth to use for late afternoon, as it gets triple digits (usually around now, but not so far this year), and humidity so low that my scale doesn't register. Just got rid of the power company, so misters are out. which reminds me: does/has anyone grown indoors, off-grid? converting to summer solar/winter water power, am wondering if feasible, and what lights - LEDs? I'd love to clone these babies, once they're sexed...and the two feminized freebies, too. Not much sense, if I can't grow after the summer season, although I probably will, just to gain more experience at it, and to see what happens w/ clones that have short growing time outdoors.

Anyways, I'm always open to suggestions, input and advice. Still growing my NL seeds I saved 3 years ago...germination rate is down from 8o% to about 75-76%.

Edited by PirateFarmer, 16 June 2018 - 05:14 PM.

• Mrs.Hippie3, white threads, Skywatcher and 2 others like this

#2 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,355 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2018 - 08:17 AM

subscribed

• PirateFarmer likes this

#3 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,764 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2018 - 08:49 AM

Holey Moley, another name from the past is back.

Trending!

#4 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,355 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2018 - 08:51 AM

Holey Moley, another name from the past is back.

Trending!

Also trending, pharmer adding his insightful knowledge on catsNbats cacti thread https://mycotopia.ne...cculant-thread/

And also trending, feminized mj seeds! FTW!

:weedpoke:

#5 PirateFarmer

PirateFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 619 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 02:39 PM

Oh, BTW, the other freebie feminized seed is 'Pineapple Express'...both this and the 'Gorilla Glue #4 x WW' are from G13 Labs. I don't know anything about these strains, except what G13 puts out - never heard of them, before (except, w/ the WW involved, it *could* be very interesting). Both have germinated. Four each of the two Mandala strains have germinated, so far.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#6 white threads

white threads

i am no thing

• OG VIP
  • 384 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 11:53 AM

Pirate Farmer,

Good to hear from you again.

I was really getting tired of having to buy new soil for each grow, so I started searching for better/reusable soil. Came across the Super Soil recipe and used it for several grows. It works great,but it was not suggested to be re-used, and again, did not want to keep buying new soil. Came across the book True Living Organisms, and although it sounds rather generic, it is specifically about building and reusing your soil for growing Mary Jane. Have had two grows with this approach and it works great, that is IFF you are growing is soil!

One comment regarding your seedlings. Planting seedlings in soil that has been enhanced can sometime burn/kill your seedlings. I know you have been doing this a while, but these seeds are getting SO expensive that I can;t afford to loose any. For me, I use plain potting soil for seedlings and then transfer into the enhanced soil after they are well established. The True Living Organisms book also recommends this, and to 'cook' your soil (outside in the sun for 2-4 weeks) before using, but there are a lot more additives in his recipe and I believe that some of these additives are what would burn your plants. Still, very crushing to see my seedlings die so I am probably over cautious.

Good luck with your grow and look forward to your progress.

ILAL

wt

Edited by white threads, 23 June 2018 - 11:55 AM.

• PirateFarmer and CatsAndBats like this

#7 PirateFarmer

PirateFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 619 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 11:56 AM

WT: I have had the same problem, before, which is why, in my starting pot, I put a 1/2 layer of my homemade potting/seed starting soil on top. This helps plants to get started, then as the roots start to take off, they find the regular compost, then below that, is my mixture. 

Update on sproutings: 8 Satori have germinated, 5 '8 Mile High' have, but one died. The Gorilla Glue x WW seedling sprouted then died. We got a lot of fluctuations in rain/temps/sun. But methinks the 8MH might still have more germinate. The NL is off and running, very well. Waiting for neighbor to finish putting his fence through, before planting the NL in the ground (workers *might* could see them). 

• Sidestreet likes this

#8 PirateFarmer

PirateFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 619 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 04:11 PM

something's gone wrong...both freebies germinated, then died...and only 4 each of the original 10 each of the Satori & 8 Miles High still live...w/ a 80% and 60%, respectively germination rate. I think w/ all the high humidity and heat swings, it had a severe affect. Or I messed up w/ the original soil mixture...or both. But, the NL I've grown for 5 years is doing well, and about to hit the garden. Photos, when it does...as well as any of the S & 8MH that makes it to that step.

#9 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,444 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 June 2018 - 04:56 PM

I'm not sure what your mix looked like but if I understand correctly, you've layered the mix? (Seedling mix, compost, soil)

May I suggest using only seedling mix? 

You only want something mild like Jiffy mix, peat, coir, or something like this. 

The seedlings contain all of the nutrition they require when they emerge. 

You need to let them unpack and produce at least 4 true leafsets prior to doing anything radical like transplanting into hotter soil.

Those baby seedlings likely shot a taproot into the hotter soil under your compost and got burnt. 

For every millimeter of plant you see above ground, there is a taproot which is growing equally in the opposite direction.

It's always safer to have the seedlings in a milder soil at first and transplant them to hotter stuff later. 

Hope this helps. 

#10 TheObserver

TheObserver

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,260 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 June 2018 - 09:11 PM

Cool grow thread, I'm also using super soil mix going by SoooHaggards organic soil water only recipe. Just started using this soil after 2 months cooking in homemade 55gal compost barrels. So far its way cheaper than buying bags of soil at twenty bucks a pop. I'm going to make some AACT and dose them a few times during the flowering cycle. I'm also interested in the book True Living Organisms...thanks WT for mentioning it. Northern Lights is a hardy strain. I had a friend in Uni who grew it hydro. I've had some seeds I got from Attitude not germinate at all but usually they are pretty viable. Recently made an order for Blue Dream and a Cheese strain got a ton of feminized freebie seeds with it. Lookout, going to pull up a recliner and pass this fat bowl of Blueberry Headband. Good vibes PirateFarmer.
  • white threads likes this

#11 white threads

white threads

i am no thing

• OG VIP
  • 384 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 11:55 AM

The Observer,

The True Living Organisms book is an excellent source. The soil mix is a water only mix also, so no worries about fertilizers and nutrients, and in fact, the author is very particular about NOT using any of the commercial additives. The results are great, and no after taste of chemicals.

Myc, I totally agree with the seedlings approach. I do use seedling soil when starting seedlings or cuttings. I also spread about 1/4 - 1/2 inch of the seedling soil over the cooked soil when transplanting into their final home container. Those young roots are sensitive and will def burn so be careful, especially bad when you pay so much for seeds.

ILAL

wt
  • TheObserver likes this

#12 PirateFarmer

PirateFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 619 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 12:28 PM

I think I discovered what the problem is: I went to get my enhanced compost meant for my heritage corn, and I realize its in the same colored bucket as the starter soil...methinks I used the wrong soil for the seedlings...they show all the signs of burn...only 1 Satori & 2 8MH left alive...and all the NL. My mixture for planting the seeds is actually in 4" pots, w/ only the bottom third or so w/ the hotter mix...or was intended to be, as a time-saving measure, as I'm farming, driving shuttle, renovating a 1/2 acre garden & an orchard for a guy selling the property, AND firewood cutting. But I got too slick, made a dumb amateur mistake and got the wrong stuff as mixture. 

But, we'll see if any of the sativas make it through, and I'll post the NL as they are transplanted into the soil of the old goat pen. No fertilizers will be added, methinks, unless its just the bat guano, for the Phosphorus.  

Edited by PirateFarmer, 30 June 2018 - 05:12 PM.

#13 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,648 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 June 2018 - 02:20 PM

Yes , that is such an awesome read !

Attached Files

• white threads likes this

#14 white threads

white threads

i am no thing

• OG VIP
  • 384 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 03:27 PM

Oops!

I gave the name of the book as 'True Living Organisms' but it should be "True Living Organics"

Thanks for posting the download link for this book hyphaenation!!! :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

• TheObserver likes this

#15 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,103 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 June 2018 - 11:43 PM

:hug: hugs for everyone! soo good to see you again farmer! good luck with your grow... ill try to check in on your progress as much as i can... :wub:

hugsndrugs

Edited by Mrs.Hippie3, 30 June 2018 - 11:44 PM.

• hyphaenation and PirateFarmer like this

#16 white threads

white threads

i am no thing

• OG VIP
  • 384 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 01:37 PM

PirateFarmer,

That sucks big time loosing your seedlings. Any update on the seedlings that did survive? Good luck with those!!! :weedpoke:

ILAL

wt

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!