#1 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,711 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 June 2018 - 02:50 AM

So a friend from here gave me what was left of a Kratom plant. It was a two inch stump sticking out of the pot, with no leaves on it as his cat had eaten it down to nothing. The stem was still green though, and he said it was still alive. I took it home and put it into the back window for a few weeks but kept watering it. Finally it sprouted a tiny red leaf.

I thought it was finally gonna take off, but it was not doing much still, although it was alive. When I put my cactuses outside I brought it out too, and it reluctantly put out a couple more small red leaves. Did some reading and it said to put the plants into a soil meant for vegetative growth and keep the soil wet. I picked up a bag of Miracle Gro soil that my tomato plants are absolutely thriving in, and transplanted it into a huge 7 gallon pot as it is gonna grow into a tree (I hope) and I wanted to give it plenty of soil to grow into. 

This is the result just a few days after transplanting. It looks like it is going to take off now finally! It already has a hole in one of the leaves from something eating it so I guess I will need to put some sort of pesticide on it as mites are said to be really bad this year. I have high hopes for this little guy! 

EDIT: Well hell I was hoping that I would have no more problems with uploads and such with my new PC I guess I got no photo to share. Wharfrat I just wanted you to know that it LIVES! I will have the wife take a picture, hers seem to work better than my phone pics

Edited by Coopdog, 24 June 2018 - 02:56 AM.

• onediadem, coorsmikey, PsyBearknot and 4 others like this

#2 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,394 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 June 2018 - 08:30 PM

Awesome!! hope you can get the pic situation fixed

#3 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,611 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 June 2018 - 08:44 PM

When it is healthy enough or big enough to cut a couple of shoots off of it, they clone super easy. Definitely make a few clones just in case. More Trees the better. I have a few sisters or most likely just clones of the same mother of yours, I will have to try to put one outside again. I just get a lil worried as last year I put 4 outside in the original pots and they did ok then spontaneously died all at once. Maybe I will put a clone like you described outside in a fresh Tree Sized Pot. I do want a Kratom tree or three.

Edited by coorsmikey, 24 June 2018 - 08:46 PM.

#4 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 739 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:04 PM

i  had friend send me a cutting but it was not packed well and the postal service beat it up  and i could not get it to root .

#5 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,611 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:19 PM

i  had friend send me a cutting but it was not packed well and the postal service beat it up  and i could not get it to root .

If I can get mine to resemble a tree( where I live Kratom doesn’t do so well) cuttings for everyone! Seriously I would give it away like no other. Everyone deserves access to Kratom.
  • Coopdog likes this

#6 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 739 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:25 PM

Mikey do you have to let  Kratom go dormant in winter like figs  .

here in zone 5

I  would brig my figs indoors in the fall and let them sleep in a cool dark room for winter ,same with my big cactus

Edited by bezevo, 24 June 2018 - 09:32 PM.

• Coopdog likes this

#7 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,611 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 June 2018 - 11:57 PM

Mikey do you have to let  Kratom go dormant in winter like figs  .
here in zon
I  would brig my figs indoors in the fall and let them sleep in a cool dark room for winter ,same with my big cactus

Zone 6 here. So we must adapt to keep them alive, their native habitat is tropical and doesn't have the seasonal swings like the areas we live. I don't believe they need or like a dormant period as much as they prefer warm and humid. They definitely would not survive a winter outside where I am let alone spring or fall. Mine stay in a bright window supplemented with 14 hours of artificial lighting. But I am still learning to grow these and am no where close to having it mastered in my environment. I like to think I have a green thumb and I can grow lots of plants that others struggle with. Kratom in my climate has me struggling just to keep working clones alive. If I could get one to 4 ft tall would be a huge success for me personally.
  • Coopdog likes this

#8 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 739 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 June 2018 - 01:28 AM

sounds like this is one for a HOT HOUSE Humid style greenhouse .

In college one summer job i took care of just that sort of greenhouse  full of tropical plants , it was fairly complicated ecosystem to maintain ,  good luck mikey

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!