9 replies to this topic

#1 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,364 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 June 2018 - 01:30 PM

(to mostly my questions, but here they are) ....

I've had some time off, which conveniently coincided with some massive flushes, enabling me to play with extracts more than I've been able for a very long time.  Some questions I had:

How long does this stuff need to steep?

According to the three separate 10gram / 100ml batches I made, two days is sufficient.  It's possible that a shorter soak would work, but two days is plenty short for me, as I used to believe a much longer soak was needed.  I was wrong there.

How effective is the extraction?  What should I do with the leftover mush material?

The extraction is extremely effective.  After the two day soak, I strained the mush out using a piece of old t-shirt material about the size of my hand, soaked in regular ethanol, then squeezed all I could from the material.  I returned that material to a dish to dry, and weighed it.  Each time, to my surprise, it weighed in within a tenth of a gram to the original cracker-dry weight before extraction.

I took one 10gram batch and returned it to a jar with 20mls of 75% ethanol and let that soak for a week.  I ingested 10mls of this batch and about thirty minutes later became quite tired to the point of lethargy.  There were no other effects.  I suppose I should try that a few more times for science, but I'm feeling pretty good with the results.  After straining, throw that shit away.

I can't get any ethanol over 75% !  Fuck!  Do I need to move to South Carolina or some other economically depressed southern clime where motorcycle helmets are a myth, strippers really strip, and military-grade explosives are available over the counter at 3am?

No.  I've special-ordered a case of 90% Everclear, as it has many uses around the house (you can drink it too!) but the 75% works quite well.  I've noticed perhaps a hint of the negative effects I'm trying to avoid (stomach upset, watery eyes, yawning, etc.) but it's almost negligible ... almost.  I'm still (ta ha ... still) looking forward to a pure(er) ethanol product, and I'll update when I have some new data.

How about those "crystals of the gods?"  Bet we'd love to vape that stuff, eh Soliver?

No.  Those crystals are not active, and I'm not even sure it's proper to call them "crystals."  In fact, using the 75% ethanol, I didn't even get any - they may be exclusive to higher-proof liquors?  But you may rest assured that some years ago, I tried every ingestion method conceivable, and there's just nothing to 'em. 

What's the shelf life for this stuff?

My last batch was first-dose fresh ten years after producing it - I stored it in the freezer, which I'm not sure is necessary, but "cool" and "dark" are two terms that always pop up when long-term-storing pretty much anything, and the freezer is a fun place to store stuff, so why not?  Just don't put it back in a liquor bottle or those people renting your place on "Air B&B" while you're out of town may have an unpleasant evening indeed.

I think that covers most of the questions I had / have / have had in the past.

:)

soliver

• MycoBabe likes this

#2 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,364 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 June 2018 - 01:38 PM

Hey, Soliver - in the interest of SCIENCE, shouldn't you try 5ml of the 20g / 200 ml batch you mixed up this morning, just to see how far along the extraction is coming?

OK - you have an excellent point.  For science.  I'll check back in later with some highly subjective data.

soliver

• onediadem likes this

#3 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,364 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 June 2018 - 02:11 PM

30 minutes in - feeling a decent 1/2 gram dose, but I do wonder if it'd have more kick with a longer soak?  Some of the mush matter was still floating on top, so I guess I can deduce that the extraction isn't complete.  Still a nice MD (coming from a guy who likes MD)  :)

soliver

#4 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,397 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 June 2018 - 03:31 PM

What strain are you using? I know you have a grow going, but I am too lazy to look it up and come back here to post.

• Soliver likes this

#5 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,364 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 June 2018 - 04:48 PM

GT ...

#6 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,530 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 June 2018 - 08:59 PM

I do hope since you covered the topic of crystals that you dive a lil deeper. How about the brown sludge after a full reduction of the ethanol? Tootsie Rolls is what I like to call it. Maybe we should do a dedicated thread on "Tooties Rolls"?
  • Soliver likes this

#7 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 967 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 June 2018 - 11:41 PM

the mystery's of magic Tootsie Rolls

• coorsmikey likes this

#8 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,364 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 June 2018 - 08:46 AM

I do hope since you covered the topic of crystals that you dive a lil deeper. How about the brown sludge after a full reduction of the ethanol? Tootsie Rolls is what I like to call it. Maybe we should do a dedicated thread on "Tooties Rolls"?

I've heard the term bandied about a few times ... the thing is, I really LIKE the everclear dosage method.  I feel once you cook off the protective layers of ethanol, the goodies would degrade ... not a scientific thing, just a 'feeling,' and besides - that sounds like an awful amount of work.  Has anyone actually done this, and had positive results?  I'm happy to take a hit for the team once I have a RIDICULOUS amount of fungus piling up around the house (it's happened once before - like 16 years ago - it's my personal goal this summer).

Yeah, so if anyone's got any tootsie roll experience - let's get a new thread rolling!

soliver

#9 BrotherDekatessera

BrotherDekatessera

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 02:21 PM

hmm. the current scientific literature would disagree on the effectiveness of the extract, to my knowledge the best disovered extraction teks within the academic community have been farl ess than 100% effective

#10 clumsy

clumsy

Mycophage

• Gold VIP
  • 133 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 05:10 PM

I got discouraged with ethanol extracts for the reason the the shroom (cubes) weight to effective dose ratio is not yet defined. My one self-experiment indicated 4:1, so 20g of cubes yielded a 5 gram experience. That is a significant loss of produce. Methanol is more proven as an extraction solvent. The problem, of course, is that it's poisonous - not even good to get it on your skin.

I am fleeing the whole cube thing as fatally flawed due to intolerable side effects. I have a Ps. semperviva grow in the works. More on that, later.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!