Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Why you should care where your sage comes from.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,650 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 June 2018 - 06:19 PM

I quit buying sage for smudging several years ago, and planted my own. My reason was because I could only verify that it was harvested respectfully from one source, and learned that a substantial portion of what is sold in stores and online, is taken from protected areas without permit, or care for the well being of the plant. They take the whole plant, not leaving anything to regenerate. Recently, in my own geological backyard, 4 people were caught in the preserve area, a protected area with no taking of plant material allowed, with 400 lbs of white sage they had decimated and planned to bundle and sell online.

Harvesting carefully, only a small amount from each plant, in open areas where there are no restrictions is the way this should be done. Not stripping all you can carry with no care for the wellbeing of the plants ability to continue existing.

I use the White sage to clear negativity, so positive can predominate. Once I knew some of the practices that supply some of the shops and online vendors was destroying the viability of the natural sage, it felt impossible to continue to buy without checking the sourcing. It would feel like starting with a negative.......

Please investigate where your White Sage is coming from, and care about not supporting unscrupulous sources.

​I have been harvesting what meets my needs from only two plants. This year, the flowering was profuse. I am collecting seeds now,
and I will gladly send a pack of ten seeds from my own plants, raised and cared for with respect  to anyone who wants to grow their own White Sage, until the seeds from this year are gone. PM me if you want some.

sage theft north-etiwanda-preserve.jpg  

Edited by Skywatcher, 29 June 2018 - 11:21 PM.

• Coopdog, Alder Logs, Lakegal7 and 1 other like this

#2 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,303 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 June 2018 - 12:06 AM

I never bought any white sage, and after hearing what was going on with it, never was going to buy it, whatever the paperwork or packaging said.  What's wrong with the common sage that's everywhere east of the mountains?  I have used it and it smells just like sage. 

• Skywatcher likes this

#3 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,604 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 June 2018 - 02:01 AM

I would love some seed from you brother. I buy from a native owned ceremonial store that is not very well known and mostly only locals go there. They have all sorts of ceremonial items, and their sage is gathered respectfully from the side of one mountain and is even gathered with ceremony in a respectful manner. I buy it by the pound and it lasts me for a couple of years that way. It is beautiful sage and is more fragrant and wholesome than any other sage I have found. I burn only a few flakes of it at a time because it is so fragrant and the smoke fills the room and just feels right somehow. Thank you for posting this as you are right, it matters very much. I have tried growing my own but it did not have enough base to make it through the winter here, although more established bushes can make it just fine as I have a friend with a big bush that does fine through the winters. If you share some seed I will plant in a pot and bring it in with my kratom tree and cacti when I bring them in this fall and I plan on putting some flouro gro lights up to keep things going through the winter. 

Peace bro...

• Skywatcher likes this

#4 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,650 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 June 2018 - 08:18 AM

Alder, there are several varieties of sage that are traditionally used, and in any perspective, what you have that nature provides, and can take respectfully is the best one for you to use. I happen to like the White sage because it grows here, is fantastically aromatic, and flowers with a silvery blue spire of flowers. 

Coop, I will gladly send you seeds. Mine needed a bit more water the first year, but now actually prefer to be left to grow as they please with no interference or fuss from me. The ones around here tolerate a freeze with no issues, and also can fair through a blistering hot summer with little rain for the year. Once established, they seem to adjust to seasonal change fine.

• Coopdog and Alder Logs like this

#5 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,303 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 June 2018 - 08:53 AM

Of course, any of it would have to be in a greenhouse here.   If I ever get my greenhouse going, I would surely want to grow some.

• Coopdog and Skywatcher like this

#6 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,604 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 June 2018 - 05:04 PM

Alder, my buddy that lives in Auburn has a big bush of beautiful white sage that grows and does well here with no greenhouse at all. I think if it gets established it will grow and live fine. Mine were less than ten inches tall and not that well established that died off. 

• Alder Logs likes this

#7 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,303 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 July 2018 - 03:16 AM

We get 80 to 100 inches of rain here.   I don't think it will make it outside.

• Coopdog likes this

#8 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,650 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 July 2018 - 08:58 AM

Rot is a main concern, so if you can keep it dry, you can likely be OK temperature wise. This was a really informative article covering germination and growth conditions, among other subjects.

https://www.epicgard...ite-sage-plant/

The white Arapina is native to the Southern Ca. areas, but plants are adaptable as long as they get the most important conditions. In this case I would say dryer soil, and good light are the main factors. The one plant I have that is in the backyard gets some overspray from when I water and is 1/3 the size of the other plant on the south side of the house. That one gets no water, and is not attended at all, just how it likes it. It is not about 5' x 5", dense, and had flower spires over 7' tall before they naturally split the stem low, to turn the seed columns upside down to drop on the ground. (Clever propagation technique)

Edited by Skywatcher, 01 July 2018 - 09:09 AM.

• Coopdog and Lakegal7 like this

#9 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,303 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 July 2018 - 10:34 AM

Obviously from the article, it's Artemisia tridentata that I have collected back when I used to travel on my motorcycle.   I see it has been used widely, and of course, where white sage didn't grow or reach in trade, something else was used.

"For white sage, sun is life." 

Well, there ya go!  It ain't happinin' here until the ocean dries up or a lot more global warming kicks in.  It doesn't take very many people here to count the sunny days on our fingers and toes.  Here, let my neighbors here in the "Willapa Hills" tell you about it...

[Direct Link]

I believe that song was borrowed from the Brownsmead Flats, a band from Brownsmead, OR.  Brownsmead is just couple miles across the Columbia River from where that album photo was taken, here in our little town of Skamokawa, WA. at Skamokawa Vista Park, looking west, downriver toward the ocean, 30 miles away.  

Edited by Alder Logs, 01 July 2018 - 10:48 AM.

• Coopdog and Skywatcher like this

#10 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,029 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 July 2018 - 12:20 PM

Rain? Whats that? 

• Skywatcher likes this

#11 Lakegal7

Lakegal7

Student of Life

• Free Member
  • 583 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 July 2018 - 12:47 PM

Interesting, I've been wanting grow my own
sage and have been concerned about where it's harvested
and if it's been treated respectfully.
If you have some extra seeds, I would appreciate
it. I think my area is a good place to grow.
I have some poppy seeds ( Dutch flag, pepper box)
also some jasmine ornamental tobacco if you are interested in a trade
Sage is such a wonderful plant
cleansing your home periodically is a must.
  • Skywatcher likes this

#12 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,650 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 July 2018 - 04:51 PM

Plenty to share Lakegal. As soon as they are done falling out of the flower spikes, I will sift the seeds out and start sending them to anyone who wants. I am going to up the amount after reading they are notoriously poor germination rates, so there will probably be 20 or more seeds. 

Two plants more than provide my needs with some to share, as I never take more than two or three tops, and by the time I need more, those places I harvested last time have budded out down the stem and have 4-6 new tops forming.

#13 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,650 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 July 2018 - 05:23 PM

I got the sifted seeds today (plus some detritus that I can't remove without tossing seeds). I will work on getting some envelopes and stamps to mail them out tomorrow. 

So far I have Coop, Lakegal, and Cosmicsistar. Any other takers? 

#14 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,029 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 July 2018 - 09:10 PM

Sweet! I would like a couple Sky, no need to mail them though. I have a few seeds for you also.

• Skywatcher likes this

#15 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,650 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 July 2018 - 09:59 PM

Very good one. I will save you some.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!