Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Weirdest, Trippiest Damned Cartoon You'll Ever See

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

You make me happy in a manic sort of way :)

• OG VIP
  • 2,703 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 July 2018 - 03:40 PM

Whether you're high, tripping, drunk, or stone cold sober this will probably be the strangest, weirdest damned cartoon series you'll ever see. You could wake up after having a great night's sleep, after eating a highly nutritious breakfast, after enjoying a refreshing shower, and 5 cups of coffee into the day and this cartoon series will still make absolutely no fucking sense to you. Despite all of this, your eyes will probably be glued to your screen. The fact that both series/seasons have a pretty nice relaxing rock soundtrack doesn't hurt.

This is a Japanese anime series (With English dub audio) geared toward more mature audiences that has 2 seasons. I recommend watching the first season before venturing into the latest season.

The series is called FLCL. The first season is only 6 episodes, but I've got to say that it's one of the strangest, yet oddly engrossing things I've ever seen.

This cartoon has aliens, portals opening in kids' heads that shoot robots out of them, aliens that fight with gas-powered electic guitars, and more craziness than you can shake a stick at.

For some background information on the series:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLCL

Here's a link to stream the first season/series episodes:

http://ww5.cartooncr...net/anime/flcl/

The second season is a new reboot that is brand new, but is just as freaking weird and nonsensical as the first one. It's called FLCL Progressive.

Here's a link to the streaming episodes for FLCL Progressive (At least the ones that have already aired):

http://ww5.cartooncr...cl-progressive/

Check back every Saturday or Sunday for a new FLCL Progressive episode.

I first saw FLCL in the early 2000's when it appeared on Cartoon Network in a marathon run. I had no freaking clue what the hell I was watching, but I couldn't pull my eyes away. It was just so odd. None of it really made much sense. It really stuck with me all this time.

I recently learned that they did a new installment of the series and have watched it up to the latest episode (#5).

I figured that all of you oddballs here might enjoy tuning into this. Again: Do not expect much of this to make any damned sense. It does have a storyline of sorts, but it's mainly a piece of visual art designed to be viewed for the experience.

It's friendly enough to watch while high or a bit trippy, but will probably melt your mind if you see it sober.

This is the "plot" from the above Wikipedia link for season 1 and 2. NONE OF IT MAKES ANY SENSE.

The first season of FLCL is a coming-of-age story and revolves around Naota Nandaba, a 12-year-old, working-class boy living with his widowed father and grandfather. His life in the city of Mabase is interrupted by the arrival of a Vespa-riding maniac named Haruko Haruhara, who runs over Naota and revives him with him CPR before hitting him on the head with her blue vintage Rickenbacker 4001 left-handed electric bass guitar before proceeding to stalk him.[13][14][15] Finding Haruko weaseling her way into his life as a live-in maid, Naota discovers that his head injury by her created an "N.O." portal, from which giant robots produced by a company known as Medical Mechanica emerge periodically. The first of these robots is hit on the head by Haruko and becomes a friendly service robot later named Canti, which ingests Naoto for Canti to assume the reddened form he first appeared as when fighting the robots sent after him.

While Haruko calms herself as an alien investigator from the Galactic Space Police Brotherhood as her presence places Naota and those around him in constant danger, she is later revealed by the Interstellar Immigration Bureau's Commander Amarao, whom she has a history, as an apathic seductress seeking a space-manipulating being called Atomsk who was partially contained within Canti and is gradually brought to Earth each time Naota is absorbed by the robot. But as Atomsk is held in Medical Mechanica's custody and Haruko ultimately places Earth under threat by the company eventually turns their factory stationed on the planet into a doomsday terraforming device, having Naota and Canti get absorbed by the doomsday device's Terminal Core. But Haruko's plan fails as Naoto ends up becoming Atomsk's host and then releases him into the universe after a brief battle that ends Medical Mechanica's attack on Earth, with Haruko leaving after Atomsk while Mabase returned to some normalcy.

In the second season of FLCL, FLCL Progressive, Haruko returns to Mabase years later after a failed attempt to contain Atomsk after she managed to finally absorb him. Placing herself as a middle school homeroom teacher, Haruko targets a 14-year-old girl named Hidomi Hibajiri through her classmate and eventual love interest Ko Ide. But Haruko finds opposition in both the headphones Hidomi wears and Julia Jinyu, a more stoic off-shoot of Haruko that splintered from her during her initial attempt to control Atomsk's power. But like before, eventually eating Julia to restore herself and using Ide to get to Hidomi, Haruko's actions cause conflict between Medical Mechanica and the Interstellar Immigration Bureau as the latter group were reverse-engineering Canti's technology to utilize the N.O. Channel's energies for their own use.

• whirledpeas and dashrove like this

#2 whirledpeas

whirledpeas

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 486 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 July 2018 - 03:59 PM

LOL

#3 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 14,334 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:02 PM

Interesting enough, I just watched my first anime series a year ago. Vivid imaginations for sure.

#4 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,454 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 July 2018 - 10:11 AM

If you're into weirdness and a new idea check this    https://www.youtube....py funtime hour

This series must be seen in its' entirety, watching only the first episode and tuning out misses the genius of this low budget but highly creative theatre.  Monty Python-ish in that all the dozens of characters are played by the same three or four people. Costumes, wigs, and pretty good disguises will sometimes mislead about who the actors are but....

Well worth the time

• Soliver likes this

#5 NotFadeAway

NotFadeAway

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 10:05 AM

I like the Big Lez show.
  • niemandgeist likes this

#6 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

You make me happy in a manic sort of way :)

• OG VIP
  • 2,703 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:59 PM

I like the Big Lez show.

The Big Lez show is great. The first season's audio and animation style take a while to grow on you, but it's worth it. The second season and up has better audio and, over time, they get the animation technique improved. The story takes time to develop, but it's crazy and fun to watch. I can't wait for the next episode to come out.

It takes them so long to come out with new episodes because they actually use Windows MS Paint and animate everything frame-by-frame.

For everyone who doesn't already know, this is the Youtube link to watch the episodes:

https://www.youtube....itarfingerz2112

• NotFadeAway likes this

#7 dashrove

dashrove

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:13 PM

Whether you're high, tripping, drunk, or stone cold sober this will probably be the strangest, weirdest damned cartoon series you'll ever see. You could wake up after having a great night's sleep, after eating a highly nutritious breakfast, after enjoying a refreshing shower, and 5 cups of coffee into the day and this cartoon series will still make absolutely no fucking sense to you. Despite all of this, your eyes will probably be glued to your screen. The fact that both series/seasons have a pretty nice relaxing rock soundtrack doesn't hurt.

This is a Japanese anime series (With English dub audio) geared toward more mature audiences that has 2 seasons. I recommend watching the first season before venturing into the latest season.

The series is called FLCL. The first season is only 6 episodes, but I've got to say that it's one of the strangest, yet oddly engrossing things I've ever seen.

This cartoon has aliens, portals opening in kids' heads that shoot robots out of them, aliens that fight with gas-powered electic guitars, and more craziness than you can shake a stick at.

For some background information on the series:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLCL

Here's a link to stream the first season/series episodes:

http://ww5.cartooncr...net/anime/flcl/

The second season is a new reboot that is brand new, but is just as freaking weird and nonsensical as the first one. It's called FLCL Progressive.

Here's a link to the streaming episodes for FLCL Progressive (At least the ones that have already aired):

http://ww5.cartooncr...cl-progressive/

Check back every Saturday or Sunday for a new FLCL Progressive episode.

I first saw FLCL in the early 2000's when it appeared on Cartoon Network in a marathon run. I had no freaking clue what the hell I was watching, but I couldn't pull my eyes away. It was just so odd. None of it really made much sense. It really stuck with me all this time.

I recently learned that they did a new installment of the series and have watched it up to the latest episode (#5).

I figured that all of you oddballs here might enjoy tuning into this. Again: Do not expect much of this to make any damned sense. It does have a storyline of sorts, but it's mainly a piece of visual art designed to be viewed for the experience.

It's friendly enough to watch while high or a bit trippy, but will probably melt your mind if you see it sober.

This is the "plot" from the above Wikipedia link for season 1 and 2. NONE OF IT MAKES ANY SENSE.

The first season of FLCL is a coming-of-age story and revolves around Naota Nandaba, a 12-year-old, working-class boy living with his widowed father and grandfather. His life in the city of Mabase is interrupted by the arrival of a Vespa-riding maniac named Haruko Haruhara, who runs over Naota and revives him with him CPR before hitting him on the head with her blue vintage Rickenbacker 4001 left-handed electric bass guitar before proceeding to stalk him.[13][14][15] Finding Haruko weaseling her way into his life as a live-in maid, Naota discovers that his head injury by her created an "N.O." portal, from which giant robots produced by a company known as Medical Mechanica emerge periodically. The first of these robots is hit on the head by Haruko and becomes a friendly service robot later named Canti, which ingests Naoto for Canti to assume the reddened form he first appeared as when fighting the robots sent after him.

While Haruko calms herself as an alien investigator from the Galactic Space Police Brotherhood as her presence places Naota and those around him in constant danger, she is later revealed by the Interstellar Immigration Bureau's Commander Amarao, whom she has a history, as an apathic seductress seeking a space-manipulating being called Atomsk who was partially contained within Canti and is gradually brought to Earth each time Naota is absorbed by the robot. But as Atomsk is held in Medical Mechanica's custody and Haruko ultimately places Earth under threat by the company eventually turns their factory stationed on the planet into a doomsday terraforming device, having Naota and Canti get absorbed by the doomsday device's Terminal Core. But Haruko's plan fails as Naoto ends up becoming Atomsk's host and then releases him into the universe after a brief battle that ends Medical Mechanica's attack on Earth, with Haruko leaving after Atomsk while Mabase returned to some normalcy.

In the second season of FLCL, FLCL Progressive, Haruko returns to Mabase years later after a failed attempt to contain Atomsk after she managed to finally absorb him. Placing herself as a middle school homeroom teacher, Haruko targets a 14-year-old girl named Hidomi Hibajiri through her classmate and eventual love interest Ko Ide. But Haruko finds opposition in both the headphones Hidomi wears and Julia Jinyu, a more stoic off-shoot of Haruko that splintered from her during her initial attempt to control Atomsk's power. But like before, eventually eating Julia to restore herself and using Ide to get to Hidomi, Haruko's actions cause conflict between Medical Mechanica and the Interstellar Immigration Bureau as the latter group were reverse-engineering Canti's technology to utilize the N.O. Channel's energies for their own use.

This has been my favorite since I was 7 and it's so much better tripping..

-Have you ever been,
Have you ever been?
To Electric Ladyland?-

#8 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,322 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 July 2018 - 01:59 PM

Salad Fingers on YouTube is one of the creepiest cartoons i have ever seen! Anyone ever see any of them? There is maybe 15 of them and they range from 2 to 10 minutes......

https://en.m.wikiped...i/Salad_Fingers

Here is episode 1 and right out of the gate it is dark and weird.

[Direct Link]

Edited by Microbe, 22 July 2018 - 02:01 PM.

#9 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,075 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2018 - 02:28 PM

If you're into weirdness and a new idea check this    https://www.youtube....py funtime hour

This series must be seen in its' entirety, watching only the first episode and tuning out misses the genius of this low budget but highly creative theatre.  Monty Python-ish in that all the dozens of characters are played by the same three or four people. Costumes, wigs, and pretty good disguises will sometimes mislead about who the actors are but....

Well worth the time

It's the Trailer Park Boys!

Huzzah - their last storyline was pretty played out some years back ...

:)

soliver

#10 NewManMt

NewManMt

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 04:22 PM

FLCL is great! Definitely trippy and surreal as fuck. One of my favorite shows when I was in middle school

#11 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 14,334 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 August 2018 - 05:33 PM

Ok, salad fingers was just wrong..

#12 Nitegazer

Nitegazer

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 07:21 PM

Also on the older side (2001) is one of my favorites, Cat Soup. https://vimeo.com/7748534

Here's something more modern: https://youtu.be/8jZ0lBaP8O0  It's only an abridged episode. I think now the series is hosted by Funimation.

Just started ratching a couple on this list... good fun!

#13 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,454 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:00 AM

Ok, salad fingers was just wrong..

That is correct

Like very bad acid.

• onediadem likes this

#14 PinkMenace

PinkMenace

Psychochump

• VIP
  • 732 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 12:58 AM

I remember watching Salad Fingers as it was coming out, though I never finished it. Spooked the shit out of me.  Just reading the recaps of some of the later episodes that I didn't see has me wanting to relax before going to sleep.

#15 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,220 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 August 2018 - 11:42 AM

Haruko.png

• NewManMt likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!