3 replies to this topic

#1 Koso

Koso

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 03:22 AM

Hello everyone,

I have a year old peyote, which I grew in a jar with a transparent plastic wraping (punctured) over it.

It started to take a darker and darker shade inside that incubator, so I transplanted it, but continues getting dark green.

Has anyone had problems like this, do you know what can be the cuase of it?

Or is it normal and just a dark green phenotype?

Thanks for every advice!

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0370.JPG
  • DSC_0371.JPG
  • DSC_0372.JPG

#2 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,889 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 July 2018 - 08:35 AM

Hi Koso, and welcome.

You have not said what kind of lighting this has been getting, but it appears to have too much. The dark and reddish coloration is almost always from lighting that is too harsh.

I see it is in a pot with another cactus, which needs the bright light. I would suggest putting your yearling in a separate pot for starters.

Prep the pot with a sand/ loam/ small gravel mix, with a bit of lime like crushed oyster shell. Use a teaspoon to remove the small cactus, going deep to not harm the developing tap root, and transplant, soil and all into the new pot. You can then settle it in with a light watering.

I do not know if you use artificial or natural light. I am in a warm climate so I use natural, and yearling yotes do best with some morning sun, and then broken shade for the rest of the day. This one should show some color improvement in two to three weeks of indirect bright light or only some morning sun.

More details on the growing conditions would help us be more precise, but the pictures were a big help.

• Myc, meyer and Koso like this

#3 Koso

Koso

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:16 AM

Thanks for the thorough recomendation!

I live on the 42nd parallel north, pretty south and sunny, I germinated this guy on the northern balcony, that's a bit to the east and gets what you said - morning sun, but moved it to my sunny room afterwards, now I see the connection between the darkening and the moving.

I'll totally transplant it, I have sieves which I can use to measure exactly how much of wich grain-size I want in the pot, should it be 1/3 sand, 1/3 loam and 1/3 small gravel? What about adding lime? Is this to raise the pH?

• Skywatcher likes this

#4 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,837 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:28 AM

LIme is added to the potting mix in order to provide a buffer against the build-up of acids over time. 

Crushed oyster shell is a good way to provide this pH buffer. 

Here's a link which details a mix which works very well:

https://mycotopia.ne...scue/?p=1364799

• Skywatcher and Koso like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!