#1 Saphroziac

Saphroziac

Hotbrained Dyanamitard

• OG VIP
  • 614 posts

Donator

Posted 15 July 2018 - 12:56 PM

Good Morning everyone,

I have this dream that I want to start a Cyans patch in my backyard. I'd like to buy a Half-Barrel and fill it with eucalyptus woodchips (from a nearby tree they chopped up). I will document it here as the project progresses. 

Let me know your thoughts & opinions. Thanks. :)

• coorsmikey, Samwise, wharfrat and 1 other like this

#2 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,332 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2018 - 01:13 PM

Good Morning everyone,

I have this dream that I want to start a Cyans patch in my backyard. I'd like to buy a Half-Barrel and fill it with eucalyptus woodchips (from a nearby tree they chopped up). I will document it here as the project progresses.

Should work. Eucalyptus is suitable for shiitake mushrooms at least. Half barrel as in whiskey barrel? They are made of oak and i can see the mycelium colonizing they whole thing and will be very neat to see and you could potentially get fruits to pop up directly from the oak planks used to make the barrel. Im following for sure!

#3 Saphroziac

Saphroziac

Hotbrained Dyanamitard

• OG VIP
  • 614 posts

Donator

Posted 15 July 2018 - 02:03 PM

Yes a whiskey-barrel. Going to fill it with eucalyptus wood chips now. :)

#4 Saphroziac

Saphroziac

Hotbrained Dyanamitard

• OG VIP
  • 614 posts

Donator

Posted 15 July 2018 - 02:47 PM

They have plenty of food now, in their oak whiskey barrrel. :)

Attached Thumbnails

• EucalyptusChipsBarrel.jpg

• Microbe, wharfrat, MycoAnt81 and 1 other like this

#5 TrippyHippyPunk

TrippyHippyPunk

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 238 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 03:24 PM

Subscribed. Excited to see your results, I've been thinking bout doing this same thing.

#6 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 14,702 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2018 - 08:39 PM

I just woke up from dreaming and apparently I missed the part where you made spawn?

• Seeker2be and MycoAnt81 like this

#7 Saphroziac

Saphroziac

Hotbrained Dyanamitard

• OG VIP
  • 614 posts

Donator

Posted 15 July 2018 - 08:45 PM

I just woke up from dreaming and apparently I missed the part where you made spawn?

I am soon ordering syringes.  

37202225_10215659231054502_9169832241558192128_n.png

Also check out my new Laboratory.

37206635_10215659124771845_8423091523620438016_n.jpg

Edited by Saphroziac, 15 July 2018 - 08:46 PM.

• Da-1 and MycoAnt81 like this

#8 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• App Administrator
  • 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2018 - 08:51 PM

This should be fun to follow

#9 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 14,702 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2018 - 09:06 PM

Very nice! Next to Azures and cyans, Pez Hawaiians have always been one of my favorites.

• MycoAnt81 likes this

#10 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,856 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2018 - 09:47 PM

Good Morning everyone,

Ive picked Cyans from groundthat had patches of snow. I also remember living somewhere much warmer than the PNW that Eucalyptis trees and other plants that I see in the pic. We don’t have eucalyptus trees where I am, but I’m thinking that if someone want to see at least some mycelium colonizing some wood chips in a barrel that they wouldn’t have it in the sun that far south. I’ve lost Cyan beds in a single day that were buried and insulated due to record breaking heat. (90s where I am) mycelium just vanishes in the heat. Based on my observations of where you are in the hemisphere, you may want to consider spawning that whiskey barrel in the late fall. Just my uninformed opinion though! Other than that.....
Nice to see ya around Saph! You have been missed.

#11 Saphroziac

Saphroziac

Hotbrained Dyanamitard

• OG VIP
  • 614 posts

Donator

Posted 15 July 2018 - 10:08 PM

Good Morning everyone,

Ive picked Cyans from groundthat had patches of snow. I also remember living somewhere much warmer than the PNW that Eucalyptis trees and other plants that I see in the pic. We don’t have eucalyptus trees where I am, but I’m thinking that if someone want to see at least some mycelium colonizing some wood chips in a barrel that they wouldn’t have it in the sun that far south. I’ve lost Cyan beds in a single day that were buried and insulated due to record breaking heat. (90s where I am) mycelium just vanishes in the heat. Based on my observations of where you are in the hemisphere, you may want to consider spawning that whiskey barrel in the late fall. Just my uninformed opinion though! Other than that.....
Nice to see ya around Saph! You have been missed.

Thanks for your two cents coorsmikey. We had a high of 73 here today, and it certainly has reached the 90s on freak days. I am in the Bay Area along the coast so it varies between a foggy silver day to clear skies and bright sunlight. I still haven't made any spawn so it would be about a month or two until I have enough so it is looking like September/October is when this barrel will be rolling.

I could perhaps move it to a far corner of the yard where the sun can't get it, or perhaps I could put some cardboard over it and make sure to water it frequently.

#12 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,856 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2018 - 10:20 PM

Ah crap! You can pull it off then. I was thinking you were much further south. For sure a shaded area though, keep in mind that they usually grow in the ground. Your barrel is going to conduct the temp of air much more. Also make sure you have really good drainage. They love the frequent watering but you can drown the colony very easily.
  • Seeker2be likes this

#13 RamenShaman

RamenShaman

राशा अंतरिक्ष नूडल

• Free Member
  • 834 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2018 - 11:27 AM

pulling up a chair. good vibes.

• MycoAnt81 likes this

#14 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 504 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2018 - 02:36 PM

you could surround the shaded barrel with a few straw bales  perhaps

• TrippyHippyPunk likes this

#15 Saphroziac

Saphroziac

Hotbrained Dyanamitard

• OG VIP
  • 614 posts

Donator

Posted 24 November 2018 - 02:12 PM

Hi everyone,

So I created this tub of azure spawn, and it has shown to be really aggressive. It destroyed some trichoderma colonies and colonized the entire tub in  only a couple weeks. The colony started from a partly colonized jar of wheat berries, then transferred into some PC'd cut up cardboard I got from a box of wine. I then mixed some eucalyptus wood chips in with the box cardboard they seem to be doing fine. 

The next stage is I am going to sterilize some these here eucalyptus wood chips and mix it in with my tub of azure spawn and place it in the barrel.

DSC_0152.JPG DSC_0153.JPG DSC_0154.JPG 46521614_699133613806071_3397463051195121664_n.jpg

Cheers,

Saph

Edited by Saphroziac, 24 November 2018 - 02:21 PM.

• Samwise likes this

#16 Kraven

Kraven

CannaMycologist

• OG VIP
  • 857 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 November 2018 - 02:19 PM

How far south can you be and still reasonably pull it off? Zone 8A - 9 ...is that too far south......sure wanna go at some wood lovers but only get temps below the 50's for 2 months in the winter?

• bezevo likes this

#17 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 504 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 November 2018 - 04:31 PM

i believe with wood lovers ovoids are most tolerant off warmer temps next maybe Alliani

• Kraven likes this

#18 Kraven

Kraven

CannaMycologist

• OG VIP
  • 857 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 November 2018 - 06:48 PM

Well crap, looked on the vendors I know and simply dont see them...this is random AF but does anyone have a 1/2 or 1/4 print that I could drag a loop through and get started on agar? "Ovoideocystidiata Spores"

#19 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,734 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 November 2018 - 07:52 PM

are you concerned about the mycellium eating your barrel too?

if so maybe a plastic liner which should also help keep moisture in the bed

#20 Saphroziac

Saphroziac

Hotbrained Dyanamitard

• OG VIP
  • 614 posts

Donator

Posted 24 November 2018 - 08:04 PM

@pharmer I was thinking it would be cool to have the mycelium eat the whole barrel and have shrooms popping out the sides. :P

• Tillidis and WolfWhiz like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!