11 replies to this topic

#1 SirShroom

SirShroom

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 58 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2018 - 02:58 PM

Hi all. First time growing penis envy, haven't eaten them either. I now have two beautiful tubs full of them. Excited about the trip. Pictures attached.

Any ideas on the best way to get some MS solution?
I've tried printing on foil, but no spores dropped.

So now I've sterilised two glasses of water. I've taken an earbud to swab the gills and then stir it in the one glass. Earbud stayed black, so not sure how many spores came off. For the second glass, I just sprayed my gloves with alcohol and used my finger to swab another gill and stir it in the water.

But both ways feel so wrong. I'm betting on a lot of contams after inoculation.

What works best for you? Any help would be awesome.DSC_1941.JPG DSC_1934.JPG DSC_1948.JPG DSC_1949.JPG
  • Da-1, Skywatcher and wharfrat like this

#2 TrippyHippyPunk

TrippyHippyPunk

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 238 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 04:25 PM

No first hand experience, but I've read the PEs arent huge spore producers. Some time they don't at all. You may be better off using agar and cloning, other wise you could try a cutip to straight agar.

Maybe someone who had experience with them else knows a way to get a spore solution.
  • SirShroom likes this

#3 RamenShaman

RamenShaman

राशा अंतरिक्ष नूडल

• Free Member
  • 834 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2018 - 04:27 PM

First of all let me start by saying those PEs look incredible I personally have never grown them but have always been fascinated by them I think you were more so on the right track with the swab as opposed to finger banging the gills With sterile gloves quick question did you do anything to try and sterilize the swab before taking it to the gills I’m not sure what the best way to do that would be but I would imagine there is a way I know someone around here have swabbed gills Perhaps they will chime in soon
  • SirShroom likes this

#4 RamenShaman

RamenShaman

राशा अंतरिक्ष नूडल

• Free Member
  • 834 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2018 - 05:33 PM

Everything I have found using my Google Fu has said that swabbing with a sterile cotton swab and then storing said swab in a vile or sterile zip baggie, is the most appropriate method for collecting PE spores. I’d imagine that if your swab was sterile and you collected spores and stirred in sterile water inside a Still air box, that you would end up with a spore solution that is as clean as that of an aseptic print.

Edited by RamenShaman, 16 July 2018 - 05:33 PM.

• MycoAnt81 likes this

#5 Insearchof1075

Insearchof1075

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 07:32 PM

Nice fruits dude!!!
  • Kraven, SirShroom and MycoAnt81 like this

#6 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,389 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:12 PM

I recently learned that PE spore syringes are commercially made by taking dry caps and crushing them up with some water and a surfactant. The crushed up mixture is put into a centrifuge vial and after centrifuging the spores collect in a pellet in the tip of the vial. Then you have to wash the spores by repeating that with sterile water several times. This is paraphrasing of course. Make sure the caps weren't dried with a hot dehydrator though, that can kill the spores.

Edited by sandman, 16 July 2018 - 09:17 PM.

• Sidestreet, PinkMenace, Kraven and 1 other like this

#7 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,354 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:19 PM

That makes sense. When I make larger batches of extract, the spores collect on the bottom while all the other stuff floats or is suspended.
  • sandman and Soliver like this

#8 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,389 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:24 PM

I should add that it is not an easy task, there are a couple guys toying with it over at another site and so far they have just been getting contams. They probably need many washes.

#9 Da-1

Da-1

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 403 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 July 2018 - 12:42 AM

Wow SirShroom

Those fruits are looking amazing brother and I would also go the swob route but then to agar rather then lc to be safe, that`s what I will only do from now on thanks to the masters  :meditate:  advice here at Mycotopia 

also pe is a strong 1 from my experience so heed and enjoy.

Regards, Da-1

• MycoAnt81 likes this

#10 RamenShaman

RamenShaman

राशा अंतरिक्ष नूडल

• Free Member
  • 834 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 July 2018 - 08:56 AM

Hey SirShroom I nommed you for POTM
https://mycotopia.ne...test/?p=1373167
  • PsyBearknot likes this

#11 SirShroom

SirShroom

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 58 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 July 2018 - 01:16 PM

Awesome, thanks RS! A lot of advanced advice here haha. Better up my game if I want to keep growing these PE's.
  • RamenShaman likes this

#12 RamenShaman

RamenShaman

राशा अंतरिक्ष नूडल

• Free Member
  • 834 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 July 2018 - 04:27 PM

The experience makes you a better grower. If anything intimidates you give it a shot if it works then your a step up, if it doesn’t you learned something new and your still getting better.

Nobody here knows everything and most of us are actively trying to expand our knowledge. I learn from the new growers just as they learn from the older ones, that’s what makes this place so special.
  • Da-1, TrippyHippyPunk, SirShroom and 1 other like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!