• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 reefer

reefer

Mod of the Ocean

• Expired Member
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 11:08 AM

OK, I'll try it with my next batch of jars. I'll use same substrate, casing layer, etc.. and put two casings in each terrarium and take pictures.

If I'm wrong I'm wrong. No big deal. My grow area is already set up for the experiment anyways.

Will do one casing of tx and one of b+ in each terrarium. Not sure if this is enough to "prove" it though. Space is limited.

#22 Guest_rodger_*

Guest_rodger_*

Posted 08 February 2005 - 11:20 AM

I have too many other irons in the fire right now, so I can't do a controlled experiment, but I would like to offer my observations to date. Due to other projects I had ongoing, a 400 watt MH was introduced near my mushroom growing bins and incubation shelves. I noticed an immediate improvement in invitro pinning, and an immediate increase in the amount of fruits in the pinsets of casings that were within range of the 400w mh. These lamps produce light wavelengths that are faster(blue) than other lights which are at a lower frequency(red). I've used natural sunlight, incadescent, fluorescent, MH and HPS in conjunction with mushroom grows. My own experience would tend to show better pinsets with the MH lights than with any other including diffused natural sunlight. MH is richer in the blue spectrum, so my own results seem to back up the information in Paul's books.

#23 meihoe

meihoe

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 07:40 PM

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

I know you said not to take it personally, but you're post was kinda rude.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

I agree, and apologize.
I just re-read what I wrote. I just dislike it very much when certain people (not you) "dress" facts up. I don't know if they do this in an attempt to seem smarter, or if they do it just to have a post. It's just annoying....

#24 Guest_hippie3_*

Guest_hippie3_*

Posted 09 February 2005 - 10:51 AM

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

my own results seem to back up the information in Paul's books.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

still no numbers
gotta have numbers to call it science
numbers and pics,
without that
it's just he said, she said.

#25 cheeseball

cheeseball

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 163 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 07:17 AM

Pinning has already been induced, but what do you all feel about light? How long should they have light? I have my casing in a rubbermaid. Should I cut an area off the top and put some saran wrap on the top so they can have light during the day? Right now they are just getting light when i take the top of for 10-15 minutes to fan and let it get some fresh air.

ANy help?

#26 max

max

canadian

• Banned Member
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 07:34 AM

Thats all the light they really need, they are not like plants, they get virtually nothing from the light other than a direction in which to grow. I wouldn't go to any great lengths or expense on lighting systems for mushrooms.

#27 cheeseball

cheeseball

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 163 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 08:22 AM

Thanks Capn'

#28 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 10:02 AM

i leave mine on for like 12/12.......kinda like an outdoor environment would be.......

#29 Soliver1

Soliver1

Deranged

• Expired Member
  • 631 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 01:51 PM

Sometimes weak light will make them grow in different directions,
especially if there are a lot of reflecting surfaces near your grow,
but then strong light can make them grow crooked, towards the
brightest spot. I like a small, 16 inch fluorescent light hanging over
a rubbermaid that is covered with a clear lid of some sort.

When I first started, I cut a big hole in a rubbermaid container and glued a
peice of clear plastic in it for a window. Shrooms on the side grew towards the
center and eventually fell over, making my forest of shrooms look like a tornado
came through :)

I just use a clean peice of plastic for a lid. I punch a bunch of small holes in it
for ventilation, although I wouldn't suggest this if your grow spot isn't pretty clean
(the holes, that is).

Hollowing out the entire 'maid lid except for the outermost 1 1/2 inch and then using
that to secure the plastic to the top works as well and is quite cost-effective.

#30 reefer

reefer

Mod of the Ocean

• Expired Member
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 07:40 AM

"Sometimes weak light will make them grow in different directions,
especially if there are a lot of reflecting surfaces near your grow,
but then strong light can make them grow crooked, towards the
brightest spot. I like a small, 16 inch fluorescent light hanging over
a rubbermaid that is covered with a clear lid of some sort."

I agree. I like a good amount of soft light. It is not neccessary of course but it seems to help them grow more "normal".

#31 apokalypse

apokalypse

Dr. Durgs

• Expired Member
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 06:56 PM

Hello all. I am a new member ready to begin growing within the next week when I move out to my own place. I was reading over the Simple Cubensis Growing Technique, and it mentions that at the least a dim light is needed for the mushrooms to begin fruiting. My question is, for growing mushrooms, is it better to have a constant source of light shining on the cakes, or is it better to have 12hrs of light and 12hrs of darkness, like growing pot. Wouldn't the mushrooms need a couple hours to rest from growing?

#32 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 07:00 PM

suit yourself,
matters little as long as some light is given daily.

#33 toad

toad

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 07:42 PM

My question is, for growing mushrooms, is it better to have a constant source of light shining on the cakes, or is it better to have 12hrs of light and 12hrs of darkness, like growing pot. Wouldn't the mushrooms need a couple hours to rest from growing?

The key to your question "like growing pot"; mushrooms don't grow like pot. No photosynthesis do to no chlorophyll. They do not require rest for growing.
As shown in Hip's Neglect Tek and the Invitro Tek if light is introduced daily( I use at least 15 Min.) at the beginning of mycileum formation, pins will form quicker than jars grown in complete darkness, and has been my experience.
You can grow your jars in total darkness with little harm but fruiting may be delayed, sometimes over 3 weeks.
Good luck with your first grow.
By studying the archives and starting with the basic PF style jar tek you are starting out on the best route for success.

#34 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 07:50 PM

i've seen jars that went months with no light that never pinned

#35 apokalypse

apokalypse

Dr. Durgs

• Expired Member
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 08:19 PM

What about cakes with constant light, though. Do they grow "faster"? Or is the yield/potency less with a constant amount of light...

#36 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 09:47 PM

What about cakes with constant light, though. Do they grow "faster"? Or is the yield/potency less with a constant amount of light...

metal halide lamps are said to produce the best pinsets......but for your question, i have seen little variance in growth/potency due to lighting........light simply stimulates pinning.........mushrooms/mycelium do not need light to live like plants (photosynthetic) do, instead the light tells them where/when to grow as they are phototropic

#37 the_other_chap

the_other_chap

The Whelk of Reason

• Expired Member
  • 919 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 12:04 AM

metal halide lamps are said to produce the best pinsets

But don't get confused and assume that it's the intensity of the light that's important, it's the colour that counts.
Pinsets form best when exposed to light at the blue end of the spectrum, in which MH lamps are rich.
The "purplish" coloured fluorescent "gro" lamps used for fish tanks and terrariums work well for me.

#38 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 02:52 AM

i see the most
pinning action
using indirect sunlight

#39 jjoj

jjoj

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 127 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 07:48 AM

so i suppose, in the end it really doesn't matter too much. lots of proof in the archives that different methods can yield the same great results - except for black light. avoid that at all costs.

mycelium should be considered as being closer to mold or something. the fruit bodies are its repproductive organs.

#40 apokalypse

apokalypse

Dr. Durgs

• Expired Member
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 10:23 AM

Alright guys, thanks for your help! I look forward to learning and contributing to this Mycotopia family :>

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!