10 replies to this topic

#1 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,650 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 July 2018 - 11:58 PM

I was sent this video today. This is about 10 miles downriver from my place, and I have seen some incredible fire generated storm before, but this just blew my mind.

The intense heat will often create fire tornados, but this video shows one that actually shifted over the river, creating a combo of fire and water that is just incredible.

I really just did not know where to post this.

I hope this embeds........

[Direct Link]

Edited by Skywatcher, 18 July 2018 - 12:01 AM.

• Sidestreet, coorsmikey, wildedibles and 1 other like this

#2 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,342 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 July 2018 - 12:55 AM

While amazingly cool, that's some damn scary stuff. 

Thanks for sharing brother, and stay safe.

• wildedibles likes this

#3 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,834 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 July 2018 - 01:21 AM

Years ago I generated what I hope turns into an old saying. I wish to be quoted when this is spoken...or maybe there's some cash in copyrighting it   :)

Fire needs no representative. It speaks for itself.

• wildedibles and Skywatcher like this

#4 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,107 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 July 2018 - 07:40 AM

Wow!! did that water put the fire out at all?

We are having issues up north in Ontario with fire right now .... we cannot use a gas bbq we cant even cut the grass might spark and start a fire ....its been as hot and dry as Cali way up here...

• Skywatcher likes this

#5 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,650 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:46 AM

When the air temp is already 110, and the fire is burning with that intensity, any water spray just evaporates. Although intense, this was not one of the worst fires we have had on that side of the river.

I am far more concerned about the conditions now at my home. The heat has been relentless this summer, and the extra rain through the winter built up the brush which is now crispy, desiccated dry. Any trees are stressed and over 50% dryed out deadwood from years of drought. When wind season comes this fall its not going to take more than a spark to set off a fire that quickly flies out of control , driven ahead by the 40-55 mph gusts.

I have great respect for the dangers of "firestorms". They actually take on a "personality", and its an unpredictable and fearsome one.

• wildedibles likes this

#6 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,107 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:51 AM

Ya everything is crispy here many wild flowers can tollerate the heat but een they r crispy our trees are ok but it dont take much to start a fire the rain we do get is a sprinkle dont take much for it to evaporate the next day
2 sprinkles of rain this month and a dry spring

#7 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,029 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 July 2018 - 09:34 PM

That was crazy! The heat factor here is horrible and I dread what is coming with everything being cracker dry.

#8 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,834 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 July 2018 - 09:43 PM

I thought of that new old saying after being horrified and thunderstruck at the perfect mindless violence of a house fire.

If it has a mind it's thinking "Burn, Burn, burn it ALL down"

• Skywatcher likes this

#9 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,029 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 July 2018 - 01:15 AM

Watching my parents house burn last summer from my front porch, (I live across the street) I will have to agree with you pharmer. It was the most helpless feeling watching the fire dance from one end of the house to the other knowing there was not one thing I could do to help. They threatened to arrest me if I went into the side yard to get the dogs. I was very fortunate that the fire chief showed up and spanked the fireman for saying that to me and was finally allowed to get them. Unfortunately one did not make it due to heat and smoke inhalation.

I still love playing with fire (Poi), but with controlled burns.

• Skywatcher likes this

#10 BallisticMystic

BallisticMystic

Refunded Supporter

• Banned Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 11:34 PM

There's a reason we call her "Mother Nature" and not "Mother Nurture"

I was raised by this world and I can attest, I was definitely natured and not nurtured :)

• Skywatcher likes this

#11 BallisticMystic

BallisticMystic

Refunded Supporter

• Banned Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 11:45 PM

I was stationed in Wichita Falls, Texas years ago. Not only was it F5 tornado alley, but the summer I was there it was over 100f for 62 days in a row. 30-35mph winds were pretty typical so it was literally like walking out into a blow dryer.

I suppose there would have been fires if there was any vegetation in that god forsaken place.

• Skywatcher likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!