• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 otto9M9otto

otto9M9otto

Mycophiliac

• Validating
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 01:11 PM

I just listened to a wonderful interview with Michael Pollan, who just published a book entitled How to Change your Mind. The interviewer is Sam Harris, who, I am aware, is disliked (for good reasons) by many. He is, though, a skilled, thoughtful interviewer.

Mr. Pollan touches on 5-Meo-DMT, LSD, and marijuana, but the main topic of discussion is psilocybin. He discusses temporary ego dissolution as a likely experience for most, and how this can especially benefit those who are facing their own imminent mortality due to cancer. He then laments the reason (admitting defeat) that most oncologists are so reluctant to recommend such to their dying patients.

The brain's default mode network is also explained here in a way that is understandable to anyone, regardless of background. 

• coorsmikey and Cuboid like this

#2 otto9M9otto

otto9M9otto

Mycophiliac

• Validating
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 07:50 PM

This review of Michael Pollan's book How to Change Your Mind is (usual for Brain Pickings) insightful, with lots of hyperlinked invitations to explore this stuff more deeply (it's endless). Michael and Maria (of Brain Pickings) both lament how the unrelenting grip of ego makes the world seem as a lifeless, cold, hostile place. The solution, as put forth by Mr. Pollan, is to trip on magic mushrooms. Just once can loosen the limiting grip of ego for the rest of one's life.

Edited by coorsmikey, 18 July 2018 - 08:19 PM.
Merged two threads, deleted references to other.

• coorsmikey and Cuboid like this

#3 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,390 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 July 2018 - 11:33 AM

I just got this book, sent by a beautiful topia member. I have not started it yet, just been too crazy, but once i do i will post about it

#4 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 572 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 02:09 PM

Just succumbed and bought kindle edition :)

#5 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 629 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 July 2018 - 11:53 PM

I Bought the book after watching joe rogan interview but havn't had time to read.

will give a review when i get it read

#6 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 572 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 04:34 PM

Well, I think it was the most comprehensive one on the subject I've read yet. Detailed historical information. Balanced reporting of his own experiences tripping. I definitely recommend it. :thumbs_up:

Edited by Cuboid, 23 July 2018 - 04:34 PM.

• wharfrat, bezevo and Oneyedraven like this

#7 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 629 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 July 2018 - 09:58 PM

thanks for review Cuboid

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!