• Please log in to reply
390 replies to this topic

#381 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 164 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 02:54 PM

Well, a few months ago, I started some tampanensis from a spore print (kindly sent to me by a mycotopian who really knows how to grow these things!).  The mycelium grew vigorously, and I soon found myself with a bunch of colonized rye, and no manure. It was the middle of winter, and I just couldn't score any poo. So, I shrugged and spawned them to coir/verm. They took over the substrate pretty efficiently, but (no surprise!) have only produced a few gnarled fruits with shrunken heads, all spaghetti-thin and crooked as Satan's cock. Here's one of the funnier ones...it's about five inches long.

Scrawny tampanensis.jpg

So, the fruiting is a joke...but I can tell that the substrate is bulging with stones.  They're bulging up from the substrate all over the place.  I've never grown these before, so what I'd like to know is: when should I throw in the towel, break up the tubs and harvest the sclerotia? 

I figure I'll start a new grow during the summer, when the poo-fairy is working her magic in the local cow pastures. :biggrin:

#382 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,155 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2019 - 03:19 PM

Just some info, although it can be used, tampenensis isn't a dung lover, doesn't require poo to fruit.

Just thought I mention that to make sure you explore other reasons for poor fruiting. Lack of poo was not the cause.
  • WalkingCatfish likes this

#383 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 164 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 05:05 PM

Oh, thanks JK.  For some reason, I thought I'd remembered that Deleena24 was growing them on horse dung, and just assumed that was my problem

Hmm...I guess I should do my homework.  If it's not a manure deficiency, maybe a lack of grass?  Or maybe just midwinter humidity issues...

Edited by WalkingCatfish, 08 May 2019 - 05:07 PM.

#384 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,155 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2019 - 05:43 PM

Manure can work. Just not a requirement.

#385 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 164 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 07:26 PM

Could be that I let the surface dry out a bit, or failed to keep the air moving. I'll change a few variables in the next round and see if I can grow tamps that don't look like worms. :biggrin:

In the meantime, I did get a load of stones for the old Zen garden.  If anyone knows the optimal time to harvest them, I'm curious. 

#386 el_ronhub_bird

el_ronhub_bird

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 08:10 PM

Just some info, although it can be used, tampenensis isn't a dung lover, doesn't require poo to fruit.

Just thought I mention that to make sure you explore other reasons for poor fruiting. Lack of poo was not the cause.

What about other stone producers? Will Atl#7 fruit off of plain straw?

#387 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,155 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2019 - 08:32 PM

Not familiar with a straight straw grow.

#388 Bobotrank

Bobotrank

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 10:38 PM

Could be that I let the surface dry out a bit, or failed to keep the air moving. I'll change a few variables in the next round and see if I can grow tamps that don't look like worms. :biggrin:

In the meantime, I did get a load of stones for the old Zen garden.  If anyone knows the optimal time to harvest them, I'm curious.

Deleena has mentioned that in order to fruit, he will spray his casing layer quite a bit, and let it go through cycles of drying out slightly and rewetting. Humidity needs to be 98% with tons of fresh air exchange. Typically in the middle of drying out they will pin for him.

I’ve got Tamps going with Jalisco as well. Tamps have tons of stones, Jalisco not so much. Just did some transfers, and going to try and make them fruit in my Martha with computer fans blowing for 15 min every hour and humidity pumping.
  • WalkingCatfish likes this

#389 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 164 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 05:51 AM

Deleena has mentioned that in order to fruit, he will spray his casing layer quite a bit, and let it go through cycles of drying out slightly and rewetting. Humidity needs to be 98% with tons of fresh air exchange. Typically in the middle of drying out they will pin for him.

I’ve got Tamps going with Jalisco as well. Tamps have tons of stones, Jalisco not so much. Just did some transfers, and going to try and make them fruit in my Martha with computer fans blowing for 15 min every hour and humidity pumping.

Great information, thanks. Next time out, I'll pretend it's midsummer on the Gulf Coast, and give them periodic thunderstorms, followed by days of sweltering heat and uncomfortably high humidity. :biggrin:

• Bobotrank likes this

#390 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 164 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 11:38 AM

Well, I'll be out of town for a couple of weeks, so I decided to harvest the stones. The biggest ones were a couple of inches across, the smallest about 3/8" or so. I wonder if they would have grown bigger, if I'd left them longer?

They look kind of delicious, and It's really hard to resist eating them all :biggrin: :

Stones.jpg

I guess I'll freeze them, rather than completely drying them. I read somewhere that, unlike fruits, they don't turn to complete mush when thawed (hope that's true!). 

• Skywatcher and Bobotrank like this

#391 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 164 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:30 AM

I finally got my lazy self to read through this excellent thread.  It goes without saying that I should have done that a couple of months ago.  :biggrin:  Next time I grow these out, I'll monitor humidity levels and casing moisture a lot more closely. 

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!